Possible Modern Source for the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Possible Modern Source for the Book of Mormon

Post by _Kishkumen »

As much as I hate myself for saying it, sometimes it pays to be on Facebook. While perusing my News feed, I came across an excited post from one of my "friends" about a book he claimed was very likely one of Joseph Smith's sources for the Book of Mormon. Naturally, I was skeptical. After all, we have seen the various works that have been brought forward as possible inspirations for Smith's Book of Mormon, most famously the Spalding novel, and I have not been particularly impressed by any of them.

So, I hit the link expecting to be underwhelmed, when the following language leapt off the page:

Now it came to pass, in the one thousand eight hundred and twelfth year of the christian era, and in the thirty and sixth year after the people of the provinces of Columbia had declared themselves a free and independent nation;

2. That in the sixth month of the same year, on the first day of the month, the chief Governor, whom the people had chosen to rule over the land of Columbia;

3. Even James, whose sir-name was Madison, delivered a written paper to the Great Sannhedrim of the people, who were assembled together.

4. And the name of the city where the people were gathered together was called after the name of the chief captain of the land of Columbia, whose fame extendeth to the uttermost parts of the earth; albeit, he had slept with his fathers.

I was stunned.

The book is The History of the Late War between the United States and Great Britain by Gilbert J. Hunt. It was published in 1816. Its author lived in New York City, and, according to the person who posted the original link, it was "widely available in New York schools in the 1820s."

Thus far I have only read the first two chapters, but I have to say that the resemblance to the language of the Book of Mormon is very striking. Whoever discovered this may have unlocked an important aspect of the mystery of the production of the Book of Mormon.

Take a look for yourselves:

http://archive.org/stream/latewarbetweenun00inhunt#page/n13/mode/2up
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Possible Modern Source for the Book of Mormon

Post by _Shulem »

Find out more. This is interesting. Could be a silver bullet.

Good work, Kishyboy.

:biggrin:

Paul O
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Shulem wrote:Find out more. This is interesting. Could be a silver bullet.

Good work, Kishyboy.

:biggrin:

Paul O

Maybe a full magazine of an AK-47 would be enough. (30)

by the way the site of this pic: http://www.yankeegunnuts.com/2011/05/24 ... -part-3-2/
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

And if, peradventure, the people of Columbia go out not to battle against the king, then will the manifold wrongs committed against them be increased tenfold, and they shall be as a mock and a bye-word among all nations.

10. Moreover, the righteousness of your cause shall lead you unto glory, and the pillars of your liberty shall not be shaken.

11. Therefore, say we unto you, Gird on your swords and go forth to battle against the king; and the Lord God of Hosts be with you.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

And it came to pass, that when the princes and the lords and the counsellors of Britain saw the Decree, their wrath was kindled, and their hearts were ready to burst with indignation.

2. For, verily, said they, this insult hath overflowed the cup of our patience; and now we will chastise the impudence of these Yankees, and the people of Columbia shall bow before the king.

3. Then will we rule them with a rod of iron; and they shall be, unto us, hewers of wood and drawers of water.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

14. Now it happened, about this time, that there were numbers of inhabitants of the country of Columbia whose hearts yearned after the king of Britain.

15. And with their false flattering words they led astray some of the friends of Columbian Liberty; for their tongues were smoother than oil.

16. Evil machinations entered into their hearts, and the poison of their breath might be likened unto the deadly Bohon Upas, which rears its lofty branches in the barren valley of Java.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The Book of Mormon is in trouble at every turn. And now it appears it may have a bigger problem. Is anyone getting a burning in the bosom and the feeling that this is infact what helped motivate and inspire Joe Smith and his pals to write the Book of Mormon?

I may just have to read the whole damn thing now.

Paul O
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Very interesting read so far.

Lots of similarities. Has this book been addressed by the Mopologists before?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_mms
_Emeritus

Post by _mms »

Chris Johnson made what some are saying was a fantastic presentation of his theory on this yesterday at the exmormon foundation conference. It was that book along with another--The book of napoleon or something--that he pointed to. I will try to find a link with more information, but I am sure the Facebook post you saw was based on his presentation.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

17. And they strove to dishearten the true friends of the great Sannhedrim; but they prevailed not.

18. Moreover, Satan entered into the heart of one of the governors of the east, and he was led astray by the wickedness thereof, even Caleb the Strong.

19. Now Caleb, which in the Cherokee tongue, signifieth an ass, liked not the decree of the great Sannhedrim, inasmuch as he favored the king of Britain.

20. And, though willing to become a beast of burden, yet would he not move on account of his very great stupidity.

21. And he said unto the captains of the hosts of the state over which he presided, Lo! it seemeth not meet unto me that ye go forth to battle against the king.

22. For, Lo! are not the fighting men of Britain, in multitude, as the sand on the seashore? and shall we prevail against them?

23. Are not the mighty ships of the king spread over the whole face of the waters? Is not Britains the "bulwark of our religion?"

24. Therefore, I command that ye go not out to battle, but every man remain in his own house.

25. And all the governors of the east listened unto the voice of Caleb.

26. Moreover, an angel of the Lord whispered into the ear of Caleb, and spake unto him, saying,

27. If, peradventure, thou dost refuse to obey the laws of the land, the thing will not be pleasant in the sight of the Lord;

28. Inasmuch as it may cause the people to rise up one against another, and spill the blood of their own children;

29. And the time of warfare will be lengthened out, and the blood of thousands will be upon thine head.

30. And Satan spake, and said unto Caleb, Fear not; for if thou wilt forsake they country, and throw off the paltry subterfuge of Columbian Liberty, and defy the councils of the great Sanhedrim,

31. The shall they name be proclaimed with the sound of the trumpet throughout all the earth; and thou shalt be a prince and a ruler over this people.

32. Now the smooth words of Satan tickled Caleb mightily, and he hearkened unto the counsel of the wicked one: