Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Morley
God

Re: Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:42 pm
I'm going to be busy for the next few hours or so, but later in the day, I will try to post my ideas about transforming the public school system in a separate thread and my reasoning for my proposals. If you see it, I would like you to help expand on my ideas and also challenge them. Poke holes in them where you see an opportunity to do so. I've posted them numerous times on this board. I think I can refine them a bit better this go round and spoiler alert: I'm going to steal one of AM's ideas from this thread and incorporate it into my proposal.
Please do. I'd love to see this, Jersey, I've been out of K-12 for decades, but for a host of reasons, still maintain an active interest.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:42 pm
I'm going to be busy for the next few hours or so, but later in the day, I will try to post my ideas about transforming the public school system in a separate thread and my reasoning for my proposals. If you see it, I would like you to help expand on my ideas and also challenge them. Poke holes in them where you see an opportunity to do so. I've posted them numerous times on this board. I think I can refine them a bit better this go round and spoiler alert: I'm going to steal one of AM's ideas from this thread and incorporate it into my proposal.
Please do. I'd love to see this, Jersey, I've been out of K-12 for decades, but for a host of reasons, still maintain an active interest.
Just taking a break and looking in here. I've posted about this concept for years now. Be forewarned! We're going to need Jeff Bezos and the rest of the gazillionaires to foot the bill! Oh and by the way, I think that AM's idea would fly.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ETA: I'm not dragging my feet on the post. I'm decking the halls here.;-)

ETA: Working on the post. Might not be finished until tomorrow.

In case some one cares. :-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:51 pm

I am interested! :D
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Grande. Well worth the listen. He discusses the case, mental health, failure on the part of the parents and school counselors and...the law. I didn't know about MI state law and how it applies to this case.

Ethan, James, and Jennifer Crumbley Case Analysis | Failure to Report Leads to Manslaughter Charges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYvXhXCe38

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

And the toll isn’t just in dead and wounded kids. Here’s a text I just received from Ms. Ipsa, who teaches at the local middle school:
Threat to school at 1am. Security all over the place. Letting you know in case kids find out via social media.
They did their periodic ALICE drill Friday, so everyone should be up to speed if the worst happened.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

A news item I saw said there are potential federal charges against the parents for a "straw purchase". Purchasing a gun for a recipient otherwise not allowed to purchase it, such as a minor. If I were a Dem leader, I'd comb those right-wing "merry christmas" gun posts for potential minors holding guns, and then scrape social media for evidence that the kids of republican leaders are being given guns by mom and dad, and indict the parents.

A play I anticipate by the right wing is that if the parents are guilty, then school counselors might also be guilty, and there is mention of "consideration" for that in this case.

I think that's a terrible idea. Whatever the faults of the school staff, it likely comes with being overworked, underpaid, and faced with so many situations with bad kids and deadbeat parents that the right call is often a matter of hindsight. make things better, yes, but don't prosecute school staff. We want to scare the crap out of parents and get rid of guns as much as possible. We don't want to scare off the counselors.

Being a school counselor was a revolving door for the school I dealt with most, and it was a Charter school that was way above the public school.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:54 pm
And the toll isn’t just in dead and wounded kids. Here’s a text I just received from Ms. Ipsa, who teaches at the local middle school:
Threat to school at 1am. Security all over the place. Letting you know in case kids find out via social media.
They did their periodic ALICE drill Friday, so everyone should be up to speed if the worst happened.

The students and teachers from Oxford High School are dealing with trauma right this very second and likely aren't getting the type of immediate treatment that they need. They're going to need mental health services for a very long time.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kukulkan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:19 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:51 pm

I had a delay due to in real life. I'm working on it and may or may not be ready to post tonight or tomorrow. Trying not to write a chapter book here. ;-)

Slava Ukraini!
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:04 am
Kukulkan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:19 am

I had a delay due to in real life. I'm working on it and may or may not be ready to post tonight or tomorrow. Trying not to write a chapter book here. ;-)
No worries, I am sure it will be well worth the wait!
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith