Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:42 pm
Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:13 pm
You are allowed to.. If this were true, you'd already be doing it. But you're not.

I was a school administrator. We tried to get volunteers. After the first couple of weeks they just didn't show up.

As far as helping with bullies, no parent wants an unknown, untrained volunteer counseling or disciplining their child.
Morley, me too. Not a large public school admin but a large early childhood program administrator and served as teacher of children and teacher/mentor of adults, all total, 30 years. I did volunteer assist in elementary classrooms during that time as well. He clearly has no knowledge of how schools are run, the mountain of rules/regulations/statutes under which schools operate or why.

I'm going to be busy for the next few hours or so, but later in the day, I will try to post my ideas about transforming the public school system in a separate thread and my reasoning for my proposals. If you see it, I would like you to help expand on my ideas and also challenge them. Poke holes in them where you see an opportunity to do so. I've posted them numerous times on this board. I think I can refine them a bit better this go round and spoiler alert: I'm going to steal one of AM's ideas from this thread and incorporate it into my proposal. ;-) I may toggle certain posters on/off ignore, but I'm not one to ignore what I think is a good idea.
Thank you, I think😁
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 pm
I think I can refine them a bit better this go round and spoiler alert: I'm going to steal one of AM's ideas from this thread and incorporate it into my proposal. ;-) I may toggle certain posters on/off ignore, but I'm not one to ignore what I think is a good idea.
Thank you, I think😁
I've got a bit of research to do that I don't have time for right now. We'll see if it ends up being a thank you or not, based on whether or not I think I can reasonably and practically support it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:08 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:55 pm

And there ya go. You just can't stop. You had to say, ""you can learn more about this by reading the post by posters who know what they are talking about here."'
Yes, I did say that. I have no problem putting myself in the position of learner on this board. With such good resources on this board why should anyone have a problem doing the same?
I really do look forward to seeing what you're researching. If I had to guess I would say it's probably about school uniforms.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:13 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:08 pm

Yes, I did say that. I have no problem putting myself in the position of learner on this board. With such good resources on this board why should anyone have a problem doing the same?
I really do look forward to seeing what you're researching. If I had to guess I would say it's probably about school uniforms.
I didn't read a comment about school uniforms.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:50 pm
You are wrong here. Telling a child to stop picking on someone isn't positivity. There are several steps needed years in advance of that event taking place that you are unaware of that could possibly prevent that event from ever taking place to start with. You can learn more about this by reading the posts by posters who know what they're talking about here.
Thanks, it will be interesting to hear your ideas, I know this is a strong subject for you, so if you have the time, I'm sure many would appreciate it.

Regarding volunteering, long before the topics you mentioned there are many security and safety hoops to go through. Some schools do that, but in my experience, it is a lot to work through. I've done it myself so I can volunteer, and I wouldn't have it any other way for the safety of the children, but it is pretty time-consuming. I just wish certain religions would also have such rules in place, ahem, as I think they are absolutely necessary as a first step.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:16 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:13 pm

Oh. I thought I suggested uniforms, oh well.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:18 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:50 pm
You are wrong here. Telling a child to stop picking on someone isn't positivity. There are several steps needed years in advance of that event taking place that you are unaware of that could possibly prevent that event from ever taking place to start with. You can learn more about this by reading the posts by posters who know what they're talking about here.
Thanks, it will be interesting to hear your ideas, I know this is a strong subject for you, so if you have the time, I'm sure many would appreciate it.
I'm sure many are tired of it!
Regarding volunteering, long before the topics you mentioned there are many security and safety hoops to go through. Some schools do that, but in my experience, it is a lot to work through. I've done it myself so I can volunteer, and I wouldn't have it any other way for the safety of the children, but it is pretty time-consuming. I just wish certain religions would also have such rules in place, ahem, as I think they are absolutely necessary as a first step.
Would you be surprised to know I've addressed child safety and security in church buildings? I've done a virtual walk-through evaluation of buildings, proposed modifications, and polices that need to be in place. In Terrestrial. ;-)

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:19 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Oh. I thought I suggested uniforms, oh well.
You probably did and I didn't see it.

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am not a mod, nor do I wish to be one, nor (I think) am I fit to be one.

So, just as one poster amongst others, I suggest that we might all profit from reminding ourselves of the rules of this forum?

RULES FOR THE CELESTIAL FORUM and the [SUPER SPIRIT PARADISE] FORUM:
2. ...
3. No disrespectful communications allowed. Address the ideas, not the person who posts them.
4. ...

And, of course, from the Universal Rules:

13. Moderators and administrators will follow the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law. Try to see things from their point of view.

So far as I can see, these rules would suggest, for example, that nobody on this forum should say of another poster that they are a liar or a moron, or any other epithet that is clearly intended to show disrespect, such as "PROGRESSIVE" (notice I said "intended to show disrespect"? Let's be honest here, shall we?). Just address the point that has been made in the post, not the poster. At least, I suggest that is what the rules say. And in any case, we are urged to "follow the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law'. Maybe we can remember what kind of forum this is supposed to be?

If we don't, what is the point of having it at all?

PS: after writing this, I see that a mod has, very tactfully, already made some related points only an hour ago:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=154427&p=2756504#top

But I'll let the above stand.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:30 pm
Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:56 pm

You might not, but other parents do. Volunteers can be a huge legal liability for school districts.

You keep saying this. If it were true, you'd be doing it.
https://youtu.be/uA5SJWZRBho
Great video showing the fear and anger many POC live with everyday because of violence in their neighborhoods. Do people POC have the right to protect themselves from violent criminals?
You quoted the topic of volunteering in schools. How is this a response to that? I'm not sure what you're saying.