Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

Post by Atlanticmike »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:04 am
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:57 am

right, adults attacking children.

Sauer kid would have been lucky to kill one person before getting beat down.
I think the Sandy Hook shooter could have achieved similar outcomes even with a knife. Obviously with no guns the amount of deaths from mass violence would decrease. I guess what I am trying to say is that it wouldn't disappear, so the better solution is the one that helps for a long term remedy (addressing mental health, toxic gun culture, etc.) rather than a short term reactionary one (ban all or most of the guns owned in the USA currently).
If used correctly, a vehicle is just as deadly as a firearm if not more. Our problem here in America is mental health.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:39 am
the kid was quite troubled and most likely would have benefitted from psychotherapy.
"Most infants, children, and adolescents facing mental health challenges - including autism, psychosis, mania, depression, anxiety, and substance use - do not receive evidence-based treatments."
Hupp, Stephen, ed. Pseudoscience in child and adolescent psychotherapy: a skeptical field guide. Cambridge University Press, 2019.

"Surveys consistently reveal that many clinicians do not embrace empirically supported psychotherapies"
https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2018-06922-001

I think the kid needed a social circle, some friends.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
I think the Sandy Hook shooter could have achieved similar outcomes even with a knife.
Do you think Paddock could have achieved a similar outcome without his AR-15?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:21 am
Kukulkan wrote:
the kid was quite troubled and most likely would have benefitted from psychotherapy.
"Most infants, children, and adolescents facing mental health challenges - including autism, psychosis, mania, depression, anxiety, and substance use - do not receive evidence-based treatments."
Hupp, Stephen, ed. Pseudoscience in child and adolescent psychotherapy: a skeptical field guide. Cambridge University Press, 2019.

"Surveys consistently reveal that many clinicians do not embrace empirically supported psychotherapies"
https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2018-06922-001

I think the kid needed a social circle, some friends.
Unless the reporting on the story is false, a kid drawing graphic depictions of death and gore most likely would benefit from psychotherapy. I don't think 'having friends' addresses those kinds of issues.

According to authorities, on a piece of paper in front of Crumbley, the teacher saw the words: "the thoughts won't stop, help me" and a drawing of a bullet and the phrase: "blood everywhere."

There was a sketch of a person shot twice and bleeding, a laughing emoji and the final lines: “my life is useless” and “the world is dead.”
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kukulkan wrote:

I think as others have touched on, the USA is dealing with an unaddressed mental health crisis.
Tell me what you think is at the root of that issue?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:26 am
Kukulkan wrote:
I think the Sandy Hook shooter could have achieved similar outcomes even with a knife.
Do you think Paddock could have achieved a similar outcome without his AR-15?
Considering the perpetrator in the Nice, France 2016 attack managed to kill 86 with just a truck, yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_truck_attack
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Unless the reporting on the story is false, a kid drawing graphic depictions of death and gore most likely would benefit from psychotherapy.
from Scientifically Oriented Psychotherapy.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:27 am
Kukulkan wrote:

I think as others have touched on, the USA is dealing with an unaddressed mental health crisis.
Tell me what you think is at the root of that issue?
In a more recent context, the pandemic has obviously exacerbated a lot of underlying issues.

On a bigger scale though, I think poverty, lack of social mobility, increased political tension, substance abuse are a few that come to the top of my head.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:30 am
Kukulkan wrote:
Unless the reporting on the story is false, a kid drawing graphic depictions of death and gore most likely would benefit from psychotherapy.
I am not catching on to the point you are trying to prove.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:33 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:30 am

I am not catching on to the point you are trying to prove.
I am just pointing out that most children "do not receive evidence-based treatments."