Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Re: Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:37 am
Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:33 am

I am not catching on to the point you are trying to prove.
I am just pointing out that most children "do not receive evidence-based treatments."
A valid point, add it to the list of issues we need to solve as a country to stop mass violence, especially in our younger population.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:28 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:26 am

Do you think Paddock could have achieved a similar outcome without his AR-15?
Considering the perpetrator in the Nice, France 2016 attack managed to kill 86 with just a truck, yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_truck_attack
Okay you make a good point, I will have to do more reading, but according to your link "On 21 July, prosecutor François Molins said that Lahouaiej-Bouhlel planned the attack for months and had help from accomplices."
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:40 am
Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:28 am

Considering the perpetrator in the Nice, France 2016 attack managed to kill 86 with just a truck, yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_truck_attack
Okay you make a good point, I will have to do more reading, but according to your link "On 21 July, prosecutor François Molins said that Lahouaiej-Bouhlel planned the attack for months and had help from accomplices."
And?
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:39 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:37 am

I am just pointing out that most children "do not receive evidence-based treatments."
A valid point, add it to the list of issues we need to solve as a country to stop mass violence, especially in our younger population.
What I meant is that there is a lot of pseudoscience in the field of psychotherapy.
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:21 am

"Most infants, children, and adolescents facing mental health challenges - including autism, psychosis, mania, depression, anxiety, and substance use - do not receive evidence-based treatments."
Hupp, Stephen, ed. Pseudoscience in child and adolescent psychotherapy: a skeptical field guide. Cambridge University Press, 2019.

"Surveys consistently reveal that many clinicians do not embrace empirically supported psychotherapies"
https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2018-06922-001
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:44 am
Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:39 am

What I meant is that there is a lot of pseudoscience in the field of psychotherapy.
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:21 am

"Most infants, children, and adolescents facing mental health challenges - including autism, psychosis, mania, depression, anxiety, and substance use - do not receive evidence-based treatments."
Hupp, Stephen, ed. Pseudoscience in child and adolescent psychotherapy: a skeptical field guide. Cambridge University Press, 2019.

"Surveys consistently reveal that many clinicians do not embrace empirically supported psychotherapies"
https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2018-06922-001
I acknowledge this. Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post. I advocate that he receive empirically supported psychotherapy. Also the prevalence of pseudoscience in the context of psychology is a huge issue that I think needs to be addressed in order to remedy the mental health crisis our country faces.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:43 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:40 am

And?
Most mass shooters in the U.S. do not get help from accomplices.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:46 am

I acknowledge this. Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post. I advocate that he receive empirically supported psychotherapy. Also the prevalence of pseudoscience in the context of psychology is a huge issue that I think needs to be addressed in order to remedy the mental health crisis our country faces.
I am glad we agree on something.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:47 am
Kukulkan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:43 am

And?
Most mass shooters in the U.S. do not have accomplices.
The point of bringing up the terror attack in France was to show that you can achieve equal amounts of death and carnage without a firearm. I think we can both agree it doesn't take a large amount of planning and help from an accomplice to get into your car and drive it into a densely populated area.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:58 am
Morley wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:21 pm
Does our freedom to own arm ourselves mean our kids must run the risk of being gunned down in the classroom? Are child casualties just one of the prices of freedom? If not, what are the solutions?

I'm asking this as a gun owner. I'm especially interested the opinions of our board's 2nd Amendment enthusiasts.
Here's an awsome video that explains the importance of the 2nd Amendment for Black Americans. https://youtu.be/LcrIClrGs1M

Me personally, I have no desire to deny minorities the right to bear arms and have the ability to protect their family and their neighborhood.
Mike, what's your answer to school shootings? I'm depressed as hell about this issue. Even among the kids who survived, many will have their lives destroyed.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Morley wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:00 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:58 am

Here's an awsome video that explains the importance of the 2nd Amendment for Black Americans. https://youtu.be/LcrIClrGs1M

Me personally, I have no desire to deny minorities the right to bear arms and have the ability to protect their family and their neighborhood.
Mike, what's your answer to school shootings?
I have a lot of ideas, one being parents and grandparents who want to volunteer inside schools should be allowed to. Personally, I would arm them, but let's not go there. I say allow them to roam the halls, sit in classrooms, mentor the youth especially the ones who don't fit in or being bullied. Maybe even deputize them so if any student abuses or touches them, they'll be prosecuted like they would be if the student assaulted a police officer. Our schools here in America are a mess. I guarantee a large portion of grandparents and parents would volunteer at least once every two weeks or so.