Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Gadianton
God

Re: Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?

Post by Gadianton »

Thank you Morley, that was my thought as well when I saw the news. The chances of accidents, a student snatching a gun, or a teacher snapping vs. the chance of stopping a far tail event when the shooter has the element of surprise don't even seem worth trying to estimate. But, maybe some of the red states should give it a try?

Unfortunately, there's no legislation that's going to stop this short of draconian measures that will never happen. In the long term, maybe stricter laws will help a little. But with the vast proliferation of guns already, American gun culture, and the feedback loop of media breeding more copycats, in the short term, there's going to be more shootings no matter what laws we get through.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:17 am
In the long term, maybe stricter laws will help a little. But with the vast proliferation of guns already, American gun culture, and the feedback loop of media breeding more copycats, in the short term, there's going to be more shootings no matter what laws we get through.
Mass shooters are typically young men (late teens and early 20s) who have no friends and are not very intelligent. It's probably not easy for loners to illegally buy a gun.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Mass shooters are typically young men (late teens and early 20s) who have no friends and are not very intelligent. It's probably not easy for loners to illegally buy a gun.
that's a very good point.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

School shootings are the curse we are forced to endure for the continuing profits of the gun industry.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

This last guy bought the guns legally - which is very easy to do here in Texas.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Are 50,000 awful deaths per year the price we have to pay for automobiles?
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

bill4long wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:44 am
Are 50,000 awful deaths per year the price we have to pay for automobiles?
Yes. And we do what we can to ameliorate that. We legislate seat belts, car safety standards, driver’s training, licences, registration of vehicles, ownership records, mandatory recalls, etc.

Your turn: Are school shootings the price we have to pay for the second amendment?
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Morley wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:12 pm
Yes. And we do what we can to ameliorate that. We legislate seat belts, car safety standards, driver’s training, licences, registration of vehicles, ownership records, mandatory recalls, etc.
We minimize but we don't eliminate. Cost/benefit. Gun haters don't see a benefit to private ownership. As long that's true, both sides won't agree on much. Personally, I'm for raising the purchase age to 21 for all firearms, as well as utilizing juvenile histories with regards to background checks and red flag situations. In general, in favor of raising the age of majority back to 21 for everything including voting. Also in favor of securing schools, regardless of how many guns are out there. As for outlawing private gun ownership in general, forget about it.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

bill4long wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:45 am
Morley wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:12 pm
We minimize but we don't eliminate. Cost/benefit. Gun haters don't see a benefit to private ownership. As long that's true, both sides won't agree on much. Personally, I'm for raising the purchase age to 21 for all firearms, as well as utilizing juvenile histories with regards to background checks and red flag situations. In general, in favor of raising the age of majority back to 21 for everything including voting. Also in favor of securing schools, regardless of how many guns are out there. As for outlawing private gun ownership in general, forget about it.
Thank you for your response, Bill.

I haven't read anyone here suggesting that we outlaw private ownership of guns. Have you?
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Morley wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:20 pm
I haven't read anyone here suggesting that we outlaw private ownership of guns. Have you?
Not that I know of. Part of my reply was general commentary.