Moderation Thread — SSP Version

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Moderation Thread — SSP Version

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hello everyone,

After observing the first few days of the new forum, I have a few thoughts.

First, this new forum will largely be what you make of it. It can be a place where Ideas can be explored and discussed without interference from trolling, personal animosity, long-standing grudges, etc. Or it can be a marginally more civil forum than Paradise in which people try to get away with as much as they can within the rules while reporting or calling out the behavior of people they dislike or disapprove of. We can only do so much as moderators. And, from a moderation standpoint, having a separate forum that is only marginally better than Paradise isn’t with the time and effort.

Second, in my time as a moderator, I have had to do very little moderation in Celestial. As none of have had to do much in the moderating there, we’re going to need to huddle up as a mod team to figure out where the boundaries are between Paradise and Super Paradise. During this break in period, I hope folks can see their way clear to cut us and each other a little slack.

Third I think the reason we rarely have to moderate in Celestial is that there is a polite and respectful culture that has developed there that people who post there understand and respect. If you haven’t spent time reading or posting in Celestial, I’d ask you to do so. The rules are the same there and here.

Finally, a couple of more specific suggestions First, to cultivate a respectful culture here, rethink your use of inflammatory language, especially labels for individuals or groups. If you mock or insult a group that someone else’s identities with, that’s an insult to them whether you single them out or not. Resist the temptation to take a swipe at people you dislike, whether actively or passively aggressive — play the ball, not the person. We all know how to address what a person says rather than who the person is. Doing those things will take us a long ways toward building a culture that will permit and encourage the open sharing of ideas.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Moderation Thread — SSP Version

Post by Res Ipsa »

We've received a number of reports on posts in the second amendment/school shooting thread. I'm going to take a crack and moderating that thread, with emphasis on the spirit of the no disrespectful communications rule, as an experiment and to give the mod team some concrete issues to focus on. We may end up reversing some of the changes and adding making additional ones. Questions or suggestions made in this thread are more likely to be seen (or to be seen more quickly) than comments made in the thread it self.

ETA: I have begun to annotate posts included in split I moved to Paradise. I'll complete that as I have time.

he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I just now realized there's a feature where we can delete our own posts. Is this new? I don't see it in the Paradise Forum. Maybe I haven't looked enough. It only appears in my most current posts in this forum? Is this Shades giving me my own little off ramp for some reason? ;-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:51 pm
I just now realized there's a feature where we can delete our own posts. Is this new? I don't see it in the Paradise Forum. Maybe I haven't looked enough. It only appears in my most current posts in this forum? Is this Shades giving me my own little off ramp for some reason? ;-)
I think only if you're currently the last post in a thread?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:19 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:51 pm
I think only if you're currently the last post in a thread?
People show up in the log as deleting their own posts from time to time. I can't tell the conditions under which they are allowed to do that because my UI includes the delete option for all posts.

ETA: Did a little reading. The standard permissions allow the user to delete their own post until someone replies.
he/him