Life Beyond III - Alien Worlds

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Gunnar
God

Re: Life Beyond III - Alien Worlds

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:12 am
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:39 am

I hope that as well.
It can examine the composition of atmospheres of so-called super earths: planets larger than earth but smaller than Neptune. It might give us some more evidence, but I don’t expect answers.
That is my understanding as well. One of the strongest evidences of probable life would be detection of significant amounts of free oxygen gas in the atmosphere of an exoplanet. Oxygen is one of the most reactive gases. It is hard to imagine it persisting in a planet's atmosphere unless it were constantly being replenished by something like photosynthesis by some kind of living organisms.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:15 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:12 am

It can examine the composition of atmospheres of so-called super earths: planets larger than earth but smaller than Neptune. It might give us some more evidence, but I don’t expect answers.
That is my understanding as well. One of the strongest evidences of probable life would be detection of significant amounts of free oxygen gas in the atmosphere of an exoplanet. Oxygen is one of the most reactive gases. It is hard to imagine it persisting in a planet's atmosphere unless it were constantly being replenished by something like photosynthesis by some kind of living organisms.
And it might be easier to detect technosignatures with JWT.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:41 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:15 pm

Other than atmospheric composition of rocky planets, no. It looks only at the near infrared portion of the Electromagnetic spectrum.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

doubtingthomas wrote:
“JWT” = ?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:34 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
“JWT” = ?
Here you go, Shades -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W ... _Telescope