Life Beyond III - Alien Worlds

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Life Beyond III - Alien Worlds

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Space thread? Space thread.

If you haven’t already seen this, the Life Beyond series, three of them, are remarkable for their imaginative and ‘sciency’ take on alien life. I recommend watching #3 first because it’s beautifully done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWNMPL5ygk

I’ve been watching a lot of Lex Fridman recently because he touches on AI, alien life, philosophy, and various topics of interest with the academic luminaries of our time:

https://youtube.com/c/lexfridman

Also, The Expanse season VI dropped. It’s another remarkable production that tells the tale of humanity when we’ve achieved Type I civilization on the Kardashev scale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Anyone have some cool or interesting shows, books, or podcasts with regard to hard science and hard science fiction they’d like to share?

- Doc

Also, a must read, The Three Body Problem:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thr ... em_(novel)

It’s one of those series that stays with you, and you’ll find your mind drifting back to the premise and storyline often (especially the Dark Forest, which is the second book of the series).
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Re: Life Beyond III - Alien Worlds

Post by Gunnar »

Thanks for introducing us to those gems, Doc! I love them. But I can't help questioning whether the human brain is really the most complex object known to man. Are the large brains of dolphins, and the even larger brains of elephants and cetaceans really any less complex than human brains? The intelligence of those creatures is demonstrably remarkable. What would they be able to accomplish (particularly bottle nose dolphins) had they also had the advantage of our highly dexterous hands and/or not bound to an aqueous environment where they could not master the use of fire? By some indications, dolphins' intelligence (in particular) might even rival (or perhaps even exceed) human intelligence.

I have long admired the famous Arthur C. Clarke quote from episode I:
Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying>
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:21 am
Also, The Expanse season VI dropped.
I hope we will get to see the Nauvoo complete its terraforming of planets Deseret and Joseph.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:57 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:21 am
Also, The Expanse season VI dropped.
I hope we will get to see the Nauvoo complete its terraforming of planets Deseret and Joseph.
I think the OPA already ruined that plan.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I’ll have to add Life Beyond to my to watch list. I can’t add anything better than The Expanse for TV and the Three Body Problem books for reading. The Dark Forest changed the way I think about intelligent life on other planets. It’sa trilogy I suspect I’ll read again.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:25 pm
The Dark Forest changed the way I think about intelligent life on other planets. It’sa trilogy I suspect I’ll read again.
I don't agree with the Dark Forest theory. The most likely explanation is that intelligent life isn't very common.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:41 pm
I don't agree with the Dark Forest theory. The most likely explanation is that intelligent life isn't very common.
Maybe you're right about that, but I have to question it. Think of the number of big-brained creatures evolved on our planet. Elephants have much bigger brains than we do, and have often demonstrated remarkable intelligence and prodigious feats of memory. Whales also have much bigger brains and have demonstrated great intelligence. Hump backed whales, for example, have developed "songs" of remarkable complexity and beauty and seem likely to be an extremely sophisticated language and communication system. Some dolphins (in particular bottle nosed dolphins) brains as large or even somewhat larger in proportion to their own bodies than our brains are, and few if any, dispute their awesome intelligence, and that they also seem to have a highly developed language and communication system between themselves. Some species of birds, most notably parrots (like the famous Alex, who not only mimicked human speech but understood what he was saying) and birds of the corvid family (like Crows, that actually invent and use their own tools).

What could some of these creatures have become or accomplished had they not been constrained to environments where they could not discover and learn the use of fire, and had had appendages as versatile as human hands? Thus just on this planet, there are several species that seem to have developed near human intelligence. This leads me to suspect that it is likely that on any planet suitable for life, evolution, given enough time, some kind of sentient species would eventually arise.

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAf7eMHKvmc
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:55 am
This leads me to suspect that it is likely that on any planet suitable for life, evolution, given enough time, some kind of sentient species would eventually arise.
I hope intelligent life is common in the galaxy, but it is doubtful.
I suggest you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx3r32r-GU

If intelligent life is very rare in the galaxy, then it means there is no dark forest.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:39 am
I hope intelligent life is common in the galaxy, but it is doubtful.
I suggest you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx3r32r-GU

If intelligent life is very rare in the galaxy, then it means there is no dark forest.
Yes, I understand what they are saying and the sound logic of their conclusions, but all I am really contending is that if intelligent life in the universe is exceedingly rare, it is only because life is itself exceedingly rare. If any planet exists on which life has appeared and has existed for billions of years under conditions anywhere similar to earthlike conditions, I think it highly probable that at least one sentient species will eventually emerge on such a planet.
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:41 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:25 pm
The Dark Forest changed the way I think about intelligent life on other planets. It’sa trilogy I suspect I’ll read again.
At least not on our planet.... :D