The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:You know we asked Cam when he did his AT hike to tell us what he learned on his journey. I hope he does that still.

Well, I know this isn't a TSS guy posting, but I appreciate you posting your experience. It was a super read, and I'm genuinely happy to see your trip mean so much to you and by extension for those of us reading about it. Fantastic write up.

Thanks! It was such a good trip!

I'll think about posting my thoughts about the hike.

Okay, think about your thoughts and see if you think you want to post them or not. It's okay if you don't feel like it.

That said, I just got back from summiting Mt. Olympus for the second time, and this time my wife joined me. Super taxing, but it was worth it even though it snowed on us. Boooo.

This one?

Mount Olympus, at 7,980 feet, is the tallest and most prominent mountain in the Olympic Mountains of western Washington state.

My house sits at 7600 feet. Sorta takes your breath away, right? :lol: Well, we're used to it and just recall that I work out at this elevation--who does that?

How long did that take to do?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

No, it's the Mt. Olympus in Utah:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Olympus_(Utah)

Today was particularly scary because the dicey scramble to the top was covered in snow and mud. We really shouldn't have done it, but we did and now I'm crap posting again. It was very, very unnerving. But yeah, it took 8 hours with rest.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Thanks for giving the time and care to share this, Jersey. It'll help others to plan their own great trips. It looks like you had a fantastic time and are living life fully and well.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:Thanks for giving the time and care to share this, Jersey. It'll help others to plan their own great trips. It looks like you had a fantastic time and are living life fully and well.

Yeah thanks, Morley! I don't know if you check in on this thread but we've also got a really nice travel journal here from Cam about his AT hiking experience this summer.

Also tons of fitness stuff on these pages. Check out the rest if you haven't seen it.

Overall, it's been a great thread here. A little island of peace and goodwill in the middle of the usual MDB rough and tumble.

:cool:
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:No, it's the Mt. Olympus in Utah:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Olympus_(Utah)

Today was particularly scary because the dicey scramble to the top was covered in snow and mud. We really shouldn't have done it, but we did and now I'm crap posting again. It was very, very unnerving. But yeah, it took 8 hours with rest.

- Doc

I can't believe you guys went up this time of year. We've had snow on our Peak for probably a month now. I assume that stuff is treacherous. 9K is a big difference from the 7K I thought you did!

crap posting? Yeah, me too.
;-)
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:I can't believe you guys went up this time of year.

Well, it's been four days since the hike, and today is the first day I can actually walk semi-normally. It's really bizarre to be at the age where something like this costs me a few days of recovery. Getting older sucks ballsack.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

This is for you, Jersey Girl. Animal made it.

[url=https://ibb.co/gNxe7q:k4y6sxt1][img:k4y6sxt1]https://preview.ibb.co/hPfMLA/45693337-1870163566372260-4678028454103351296-n.png[/img:k4y6sxt1][/url:k4y6sxt1]

He damned made it. :cry: :cry: :biggrin: :mrgreen:

- Doc

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

[quote="Doctor CamNC4Me":2xad816o]This is for you, Jersey Girl. Animal made it.

[url=https://ibb.co/gNxe7q:2xad816o][img:2xad816o]https://preview.ibb.co/hPfMLA/45693337-1870163566372260-4678028454103351296-n.png[/img:2xad816o][/url:2xad816o]

He damned made it. :cry: :cry: :biggrin: :mrgreen:

- Doc[/quote:2xad816o]

God bless him!!!! Wow!!!

**standing ovation**
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I can't believe you guys went up this time of year.

Well, it's been four days since the hike, and today is the first day I can actually walk semi-normally. It's really bizarre to be at the age where something like this costs me a few days of recovery. Getting older sucks ballsack.

- Doc

Getting older? Tell me about it! I have never done anything as physically demanding as you have but I do have my own challenges and had a few little triumphs on the UK trip as well.

My major challenge taking this trip was getting on a plane with a heart rhythm disorder and saddling up for a 6.5 hour flight. I think maybe later I'll write about what it's like to live with this condition because it's no picnic and it "F"s with your head. Ever since I developed this, I set off on a journey (without even thinking about it much) to challenge myself. This time I had to deal with "what if my heart flips out mid flight?".

Anyway, the other thing that was sort of a triumph was that my sis nearly every day would talk about how she was wiped out from walking so much (aches and pain) and I was still trucking along, and that I'm 11 years older than her. I really don't know what to say to that but it made me feel pretty good.

So...I'm sorry that you have aches but remember that you did something extraordinarily challenging. I marvel at what you and your wife do.

Try to enjoy your well deserved recovery period because what a cool thing you did!
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese Proverb
_schreech
_Emeritus

Post by _schreech »

Jersey Girl wrote:-snip-

Awesome write up, holy cow. Im back in London saturday and you have inspired me to spend some non-work realated time in the city this weekend before heading off to eastern europe for the rest of the week. I probably spend a month of each year in London and forget how amazing that city is so thanks for the reminder!
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs