The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

Post by Jersey Girl »

I was actually thinking about posting a personal update but there's not much to say. I weighed in last week at 116.2. Not doing much exercise but not overeating at all. It's been more like this:

I'm going to Florida next month. Go me! So shorts and swimsuits. I fit in everything just fine so I have no concerns. I did replace a couple of swimsuit pieces probably, I dunno, months ago, and am waiting on delivery of new tank tops because I needed a smaller size on both.

What does it all mean, eh? :lol: I'm just here. Not really improved fitness. Just holding my own. Piddling around with push ups currently and not even consistent with that.

Not worried. Just in limbo.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:39 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:33 pm
Xeno I can do that! I do it all the time. :mrgreen:
Awesome! I think half my issue was never having even tried it. I'm going to start adding it to my morning gym preparation so I should master it before too long.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:35 pm
Damn. I'm not sure I was ever capable of doing this. Can I do it leaning up against a wall?
Don't sweat it too much, tons of videos out there of some of the buffest/fittest looking people failing. Balance and core stability is a skill you have to practice at. So if you start against the wall that would be better than nothing. that or just sit in a chair
I'm going to have to start hanging with you folks here to get myself in shape.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:39 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:33 pm
Xeno I can do that! I do it all the time. :mrgreen:
Awesome! I think half my issue was never having even tried it. I'm going to start adding it to my morning gym preparation so I should master it before too long.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:35 pm
Damn. I'm not sure I was ever capable of doing this. Can I do it leaning up against a wall?
Don't sweat it too much, tons of videos out there of some of the buffest/fittest looking people failing. Balance and core stability is a skill you have to practice at. So if you start against the wall that would be better than nothing. that or just sit in a chair
Yeah, I don't know why I do it but mainly I'm impatient so the socks are going on fast and I wear socks every day except in summer.

I didn't look at your links. Sorry. Have you seen the test where you have to get up from a sitting position on the floor without holding on? That's another good one.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:41 pm
Well I am no help at the moment! I'm pathetic. Try Xeno for inspiration!

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:42 pm
Yeah, I don't know why I do it but mainly I'm impatient so the socks are going on fast and I wear socks every day except in summer.

I didn't look at your links. Sorry. Have you seen the test where you have to get up from a sitting position on the floor without holding on? That's another good one.
That is a great one. I don't do it as a challenge per se but I'm a huge fan of Turkish get-ups and their various forms and they are featured heavily in my core work. While holding a weight in one hand you'll go from lying on your back to full standing. Obviously you can start by breaking the movement down into separate stages and/or removing the weight.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Okay I just watched this video and something tells me I could do that if I put my mind to it and if I had a light weight kettle bell which I could not find previously. I'll think about it. Which fits with my current fitness routine of thinking about fitness. :lol:

5:18 / 5:28

Basics of the Turkish Get-Up with Master RKC, Keira Newton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM2oTXgnDRU

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

You can definitely do it, you can even start without the kettlebell or just hold something light in your hand to practice not using it. My favorite part about exercises like it is that you can do it in the living room in front of your TV or wherever. If you still watch programming with commercials make yourself do 1 during the break.
Just a little bit at a time, brother. Small changes stack up quickly.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:14 pm
You can definitely do it, you can even start without the kettlebell or just hold something light in your hand to practice not using it. My favorite part about exercises like it is that you can do it in the living room in front of your TV or wherever. If you still watch programming with commercials make yourself do 1 during the break.
Here is why I think I can do it and what it immediately reminded me of.

When I go to the cardiologist which is only once a year now, I have to lay down on a slab to have the EKG run. It is NOT a regular exam table. It's a slab where if I am sitting on it, I probably have about 2 inches clearance on either side of my hips. It's not up against the wall, it's just there in floating mid air like a bunk bed with no sides. :shock:

They don't even give me a step to get on it and I really could use that because I'm small. :evil:

Anyway, get on it I do. Then lay down for the EKG which takes only seconds. When I get up the CNA doesn't even offer to help me. :evil: So...I have to get myself UP and OFF that table on my own and I do that by partially going on my side and using my core strength to get up, turn over, and then off it. Then get down off it to the floor.

If that makes any sense at all.

I do have some core strength and I have no idea why. But I do and my balance is good. I could easily fall off that slab but I never do because my movement is controlled.

Why don't they treat me better? :?

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Congrats, Jersey. I only read the first page where you said, “I want Cheetos,” and I skipped to the last page and where you reported in at 116 pounds.

I must say that I appreciate my hem/onc doc who is such a gentleman. He takes you by the hand and helps you up to a seated position on the exam table, then if that wasn’t enough, he holds your hand while you step down from the little step.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:42 pm
Congrats, Jersey. I only read the first page where you said, “I want Cheetos,” and I skipped to the last page and where you reported in at 116 pounds.

I must say that I appreciate my hem/onc doc who is such a gentleman. He takes you by the hand and helps you up to a seated position on the exam table, then if that wasn’t enough, he holds your hand while you step down from the little step.
Oh ha ha. The Cheeto cravings! I don't have them any more. Yes, you have a good doc there! Most any CNA or MA will help a patient as well but I'm telling you that thing is NOT a regular exam table (it's a wooden slab with a pad on it) and they really should be helping to guide people off it!

Slava Ukraini!