The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Found it. I just wanted to put this in my own face. So I started this thread back in 2016.
_Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:12 am
When I started working out in summer, I started at 135 which MATTERS on my small frame and now down to 127.
I weighed 111 the other day. If I recall correctly toggled between 111 and 114 for the past 2-ish years.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:30 am
Found it. I just wanted to put this in my own face. So I started this thread back in 2016.
_Jersey Girl wrote:
When I started working out in summer, I started at 135 which MATTERS on my small frame and now down to 127.
I weighed 111 the other day. If I recall correctly toggled between 111 and 114 for the past 2-ish years.

Jersey Girl, that’s great! And, you’re doing it without paying any gym any dollars!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:30 am
_Jersey Girl wrote:

I'm becoming a shadow. :shock:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:12 am

Congratulations! Did you ever end up joining that gym and getting your swim on?
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:36 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:12 am

Congratulations! Did you ever end up joining that gym and getting your swim on?
I did not. (This reply is going to be long so fair warning.) Not long after I mentioned it, I was talking to a local cashier here. Recall I said there were 2 nice gyms. She used to go to the one I did. Paid them 10$ per month to hold her membership for 2 years during the height of the pandemique and one of her friends recommended the other gym because it cost far less. (I thought it cost about the same or more). She toured the other gym and because of the reasonable rates and other amenities she appreciated, decided to go there. When she notified the first pricey gym that took her money for two years to hold the membership, they charged her a hefty cancellation fee.

:o

I did check the rates on the other gym and they ARE much less than the first pricey gym ever thought of being. But...a week or so ago, I was sitting on my back porch just looking over the land and such, and said (aloud, no less) "I am soooo stoooopid." I was wanting to go walk the trails here or join the gym for the treadmills when I have ACREAGE here WITH hills (not steep but they count as hills) and I can walk the property line until winter comes. :shock: <---massively stupid.

So, no swim for now. I'll see if I want to join the other gym when winter hits here. I know I can modify my exercise and do it at home but I really, really, like going out to the gym because I think it's more motivating to be surrounded by other like minded creatures. All for one, one for all, type thing. Plus there is the pool feature.

So, in the mean time I am going to use the property line and besides that I've been doing hella physical stuff here so I'm counting that as exercise.

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Speaking of health, my wife and I just finished planting 180 native perennials in our garden-yard*. We’re chipping away at bulb planting for a Spring blush - we have about 600 to put in the ground. Pro tips: use a drill with an auger for bulb planting; it’s like night and day versus using a shovel or trencher.

- Doc

* when we bought our place our yard was nothing but Chinese elm, weeds, and sand (and some clay). We took out the trash trees, laid down ~8” of mulch from the local tree service company, and installed a yard-wide drip system. We planted ~80 lavenders, installed a grape ‘mini-vinyard’, dozens of flowering bushes, hundreds of seeds, a perennial flower bed, Swedish aspen columnars, hugelkutures, veggie gardens, and other crap - I RECOMMEND PEOPLE PLUS UP THE GARDEN FOR THAT SWEET, SWEET ZEN OHM FEELING -
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:05 pm
Speaking of health, my wife and I just finished planting 180 native perennials in our garden-yard*. We’re chipping away at bulb planting for a Spring blush - we have about 600 to put in the ground. Pro tips: use a drill with an auger for bulb planting; it’s like night and day versus using a shovel or trencher.

- Doc

* when we bought our place our yard was nothing but Chinese elm, weeds, and sand (and some clay). We took out the trash trees, laid down ~8” of mulch from the local tree service company, and installed a yard-wide drip system. We planted ~80 lavenders, installed a grape ‘mini-vinyard’, dozens of flowering bushes, hundreds of seeds, a perennial flower bed, Swedish aspen columnars, hugelkutures, veggie gardens, and other crap - I RECOMMEND PEOPLE PLUS UP THE GARDEN FOR THAT SWEET, SWEET ZEN OHM FEELING -
This was amazing to read and imagine what it looks like! Even though I don't have one, the drill auger is perfect for what you and your wife did on your property. Do you ever watch Laura and youtube Garden Answer? Their property is expansive and she uses the drill auger for everything. It looks like it makes fast work of it! She also has an extensive drip system. It sounds like you've done a ton of work with hopefully pleasing long term results!

Do you have deer and hail to contend with like we do? with regard to to Zen, do you have any water features?

We are up against multiple challenges living where we do. I do have 2 water features which are two galvanized tubs with fountains in them. It's pathetic. :lol:

I did put in some perennials that are allegedly deer resistant this year. My earth boxes were basically a bust this year. After 3 years, I'm giving up on tomatoes entirely. I may expand the herbs or plant flowers in some of them. I always make notes for the next year to help me plan and avoid the mistakes I already made.

Not a great gardening year for us this year except that the deer DID stay out of the perennials so I guess that is something.

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Update from him who is absent too long...

I have been to the doctor twice in the last 7 weeks, and was right directly on the razor's edge of high blood pressure. He basically said 2 choices, lose weight or go on meds. I told him give me 6 weeks. He said ok. 6 weeks later, the him who is absent for too long lost 10 pounds - still way overweight, but yeah, goin the correct direction. So, today update, lost 4 more pounds, blood pressure down a few more points, so great direction. Sooooo, I joined a gym ($10/month, I can wing it), and will now proceed to perform my magic since now in 90 days I have to go back with proof I lost yet another 10 pounds. So I am on the line, no escape, no mercy... but, I can do this! Jersey baby yer example is a shining light for me for which I hug ya tightly dear one!!! Here in about 2 years when I actually get a chest you will enjoy it more... :D
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:04 pm
Update from him who is absent too long...

I have been to the doctor twice in the last 7 weeks, and was right directly on the razor's edge of high blood pressure. He basically said 2 choices, lose weight or go on meds. I told him give me 6 weeks. He said ok. 6 weeks later, the him who is absent for too long lost 10 pounds - still way overweight, but yeah, goin the correct direction. So, today update, lost 4 more pounds, blood pressure down a few more points, so great direction. Sooooo, I joined a gym ($10/month, I can wing it), and will now proceed to perform my magic since now in 90 days I have to go back with proof I lost yet another 10 pounds. So I am on the line, no escape, no mercy... but, I can do this! Jersey baby yer example is a shining light for me for which I hug ya tightly dear one!!! Here in about 2 years when I actually get a chest you will enjoy it more... :D
Oh my longtime friend, please do not think I am a shining example of anything but a repeating cycle of fear and perseverance. It's a loooong story tucked away in the posts on this thread and one that has had many twists and turns.

So anyway...let's take a look at what's going on with you. Having a wake up call is what really got me started on this thread and why I started eating heart healthy years ago so I totally get it! :D Just remember that your BP changes constantly. You could slap on a cuff every 30 minutes and come up with a dozen different readings so...keep in mind that your BP could be normal one minute and then shoot up another on account of various things going on. Which means your BP could generally be overall better or worse than you think it is if you only get it taken in the office. :shock:

Also...PLEASE make sure your person takes your BP with a manual cuff in the office. I have that written into my records every place that takes my BP. The BP machines are not your friend. If you haven't already done so, get your blood labs done, too, okay? Just check in with that.

Eating and exercise is DEFINITELY the first best step you can take! That's what I did and while I do take a med, I try to cooperate with them by eating heart healthy and staying active. My normal diet is high on the protein side and I never really intended it to be that way. by the way, I have had no nasty side effects with the BP med except for one that gave me a constant cough, switched that out for a different one that doesn't do that. Easy breezy.

If you want to keep a record of what you're doing here...that is exactly what this thread is for and why it got put in this forum. No judging from the peanut gallery allowed. You CAN do anything you set your mind to. It's good that you joined the gym because winter is fast approaching and it's SO hard to exercise during winter...at least it is for me...and I think your weather is similar to ours. So smart move on that! Report in here on what's going on with you. Most of the time when I write a post, I'm really writing it for myself here--gathering my thoughts about it all.

I think you should post before and after pictures of your chest. 8-) Or a ponytail. Yeah, a ponytail would be the better choice.

Press on Idaho Boy! Press on!

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Ha! Yes the Jersey Girl is in fine form, very fine form! Yes, the cuff was used in taking my blood pressure. I was waking up with my left arm entirely numb and it downright spooked me I say. That was several, several weeks ago. I stepped on the scales and the wickedly ugly number of 165 came up, on 4 times weighing no less - UGH! And typical of an idiot manform which I am this go around it all accumulates on the belly, so that, if I went on the optimistic note, I could be a belly dancer easy enough, just move around... :D

But yes, I am going to get back down to 200. I am going to get back as strong as I was 4 years ago (4 years?!? is it even legal for time to zip by that speedily?). I bench pressed 245, which was blowing all the youngsters away in the gym at the time. They loved me going there because the ole man could keep up with em, which was a very fun and great way to make friends because we were all encouraging each other and laughing and having contests. Sure, I lost more of the bench press contests than the arm curling ones however. I was curling the stack (160lbs) 20 times! There was only one 26 year old who took me on, and he won. The really big bodybuilding guy couldn't even compete with me. Yes he could curl the same amount of weight, but I could do it more times. I mean well heck, hey, I gotta brag about something. :lol: On the free bar I put 45's on each side (the bar weighing 45 lbs) so I have 135 and I curled 3 sets of 15 which was not intelligent and it really strained my arm tendons or whatever the hell those whatcht-macall-its are, and it set me back several weeks. But hey it looked good and I got wows and young guys telling the new people in the gym about the "tough ole man". One guy even kept calling me "Hulk." Yeah perhaps in the belly area I was - lol.... at pull ups I just suck, I just flat suck. 8. Yikes. Perhaps I can set a goal to match that and more this time around. Overall it would be cool to be able to video me doing 100 pushups, then 100 pull ups, then 100 sit ups. We shall see.

OK, this is him who is absent for too long speaking up letting you know I am now on record for getting to the 200 lb mark, and by gawd, I ain't gonna fail, you hear me? YOU HEAR ME? :lol: I also may, or may not, get stronger through this total like miserable torture process - howling laughter!