The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

Post by Jersey Girl »

You know what's so interesting is the way you approach all of this and how different it is from my own approach. You are heavy into the numbers. How much weight, how many reps, and that kind of thing. That must be how you measure your success and I don't think that's at all unusual.

I consider it a success that I just DO something. Like walking, free weights, stretching, swimming, or dancing which I do almost every day anyway. I also count almost anything that requires movement as exercise. :lol: Like if I walk the length of 2 parking lots twice at 2 different stores, I count that as something. Not much of a something, but I count it. If I count reps, I tend to shut down entirely. So with weights or stretching for example I'd put on a couple or more songs and use those. It's not the reps, it's the music that motivates me.

It's weird because I thought you were far more artsy than I am. You know, because we creative types tend to be um...undisciplined. (My studio is NOT a mess right now! I lie through my teeth.) Maybe your affinity for math is why you go by the numbers.

And that friends, is my current observation/blathering on the psychology of approaches to exercise and fitness.

:ugeek:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:30 am
You know what's so interesting is the way you approach all of this and how different it is from my own approach. You are heavy into the numbers. How much weight, how many reps, and that kind of thing. That must be how you measure your success and I don't think that's at all unusual.

I consider it a success that I just DO something. Like walking, free weights, stretching, swimming, or dancing which I do almost every day anyway. I also count almost anything that requires movement as exercise. :lol: Like if I walk the length of 2 parking lots twice at 2 different stores, I count that as something. Not much of a something, but I count it. If I count reps, I tend to shut down entirely. So with weights or stretching for example I'd put on a couple or more songs and use those. It's not the reps, it's the music that motivates me.

It's weird because I thought you were far more artsy than I am. You know, because we creative types tend to be um...undisciplined. (My studio is NOT a mess right now! I lie through my teeth.) Maybe your affinity for math is why you go by the numbers.

And that friends, is my current observation/blathering on the psychology of approaches to exercise and fitness.

:ugeek:
I read a study a few years ago about nurses and exercise. It turns out many nurses don't think of all the time they spend on their feet walking up and down the hall as exercise. It is. When I was a floor nurse I always got over 10,000 steps every shift. Your mindset matters. Just doing something matters.

Keep moving. If you don't use it you lose it.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

True, I do focus on the numbers more. I put 165 I meant 265. If I was 165 I'd be happier than a pig in mud... :D
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I did get to the gym this weekend, so I am increasing my stature.... :lol:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

We just surpassed 2,000 bulbs for the planting season today. This isn’t my house, but our large side yard looks very similar to this. So, picture this yard, but about six times bigger, and now packed with snow drops, crocus, hyacinth, daffodils, daisies, tulips, and various native flowering plants (think penstemon and blanket flower) for a Spring blush.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Sounds awesome Doc!!!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Wait. You can increase your stature by just going to the gym? You mean if I hadn't cancelled my membership over 2 years ago I could've cracked 5'4" by now? :o
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I made a new discovery! There are under the desk treadmills that have fixed inclines. :shock: I saw 2 on AMZ one had a 5 degree incline and the other a 10 degree incline. They weigh less than 60 pounds! I'm gonna try to search up something better than the one's on AMZ.

Maybe I can have myself a Merry little Christmas!!!

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 am
Wait. You can increase your stature by just going to the gym? You mean if I hadn't cancelled my membership over 2 years ago I could've cracked 5'4" by now? :o
:D
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:04 am
I made a new discovery! There are under the desk treadmills that have fixed inclines. :shock: I saw 2 on AMZ one had a 5 degree incline and the other a 10 degree incline. They weigh less than 60 pounds! I'm gonna try to search up something better than the one's on AMZ.

Maybe I can have myself a Merry little Christmas!!!
The genius oozes out of your pores....