The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:45 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:59 am

BWHAHAHAHAHA! You DID it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I look forward to hearing what you decide for 2023!

Hats off to you, canpakes! Nice to read some great news on this thread!
Compared to you guys I am lightweight, but I got back into training for 5ks last year and I ran 675 km (in 5k chunks) and walked/ran 325 km (smaller chunks) , adding up to 1000 km for the year! I hit my goal on December 18th. (My son pointed out that’s a million meters, which I found oddly satisfying. 8-) )
:o

Wow that is amazing! Good on ya, Marcus! I am WAY out of my league around here! I cheer you on from afar!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:41 am
Marcus wrote:

Compared to you guys I am lightweight, but I got back into training for 5ks last year and I ran 675 km (in 5k chunks) and walked/ran 325 km (smaller chunks) , adding up to 1000 km for the year! I hit my goal on December 18th. (My son pointed out that’s a million meters, which I found oddly satisfying. 8-) )

Wow that is amazing! Good on ya, Marcus! I am WAY out of my league around here! I cheer you on from afar!
Congrats, Marcus! That’s amazing.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Thank you! I would like to do the NY marathon one day, just for fun of course, with my kids. They stop the race after about 12 hours for public safety reasons, but they do sympathetically keep a list of “non-finishers” who cross the finish line, after that cut-off. Last year, the last recorded was around midnight, I think… So… “there’s a chance,” right?? :lol:
Last edited by Marcus on Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:02 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:

Thank you! I would like to do the NY marathon one day, just for fun of course, with my kids. They stop the race after about 12 hours for public safety reasons, but they do sympathetically keep a list of “non-finishers” who cross the finish line, after that cut-off. Last year, the last recorded was around midnight, I think… So… “there’s a chance,” right?? :lol:
I say go for it. My sister did a walk/run for a marathon along the Grand Canyon rim and loved it.

A couple decades ago, when one of my other sisters had cancer, a bunch of the family did a walkathon in Smithfield for one of the cancer organizations. It started in the early evening and went all night. Our team walked in shifts, but I got bored. So I just started walking with whoever's shift it was. By the time the event ended, it turned out that I was only a couples miles short of marathon distance. I thought about going the distance, but everyone was hungry and was heading home. I decided to bag it. And I've kicked myself about it since.

A friend and I plan to train this year to walk a marathon. I am way, way, way out of shape, but, like you say, "there's a chance."

Good luck. I hope you do it. Doing it with your kids would make it even more special.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Marcus wrote:
Marcus, that’s great! It’s a lot easier to walk a certain distance than to run 5K continuously. I haven’t run a 5K since one down in American Fork some 4 years ago as part of a work event. The miles I’m ticking off now come primarily from walking, although stairs are always run up. Otherwise I don’t usually break into a run unless I’m feeling short on time.

Come to think of it, doing more running would let me hit my yearly distance goal more easily by not requiring so much time at a slower walking speed. Hmm …
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:38 am
Marcus wrote:
Marcus, that’s great! It’s a lot easier to walk a certain distance than to run 5K continuously. I haven’t run a 5K since one down in American Fork some 4 years ago as part of a work event. The miles I’m ticking off now come primarily from walking, although stairs are always run up. Otherwise I don’t usually break into a run unless I’m feeling short on time.

Come to think of it, doing more running would let me hit my yearly distance goal more easily by not requiring so much time at a slower walking speed. Hmm …
Thanks, canpakes!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

Post by Jersey Girl »

I want to share a recipe that I may/may not have shared before. It's from Damn Delicious. Every recipe I've ever tried from this website has been well, damn delicious. Everyone likes this one when I make it.

Lemon Orzo Soup

Meat
1 lb Chicken thighs, boneless skinless
Produce
2 Bay leaves
3 Carrots
2 Celery, ribs
3 cloves Garlic
1 Lemon, Juice of
1 Onion
2 tbsp Parsley, fresh leaves
1 sprig Rosemary
1/2 tsp Thyme, dried
Canned Goods
5 cups Chicken stock
Pasta & Grains
3/4 cup Orzo pasta
Baking & Spices
1 Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Oils & Vinegars
2 tbsp Olive oil

What I do differently from the website directions. Note the very last listed item.

1. Saute' the celery, carrots, garlic, and onions in nothing but the pot.

2. I buy a pack of shredded chicken that has already been removed from a "traditional" rotisserie chicken. See last item.

3. I use organic baby petite carrots, sometimes cut them up if needed.

4. Forget the Bay Leaf. No one cares about it here.

5. Use no salt added chicken broth and more than what is in the recipe. High altitude may have something to do with it.

6. If I'm out of orzo, I use egg noodles and sometimes I use rice. I think you could use quinoa if you want.

7. I add no salt or pepper. The chicken has a bit of seasoning already. Juice it up however you wish.

8. I use no oils.

9. Toss in whatever veggies you have left over. I sometimes add broccoli. Fresh spinach might work.

10. I put the chicken in it last.

https://damndelicious.net/2014/04/25/le ... orzo-soup/

Note: If you want, you can food preparation a batch of ingredients in advance and freeze it. Put the shredded chicken, celery, onions, sprig of rosemary in a ziploc and stash it in the freezer for an easy partially prepared meal.

Damn Delicious.... 8-)

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Adding more lemon and removing the salt is an option. Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines feature tons of soups/stews with lots of lemon juice. They're delicious! In culinary school I was taught by a brilliant chef from Lebanon. He told us "Add lemon until you think there's just enough, then add a little more!".
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Father Francis wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 am
Adding more lemon and removing the salt is an option. Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines feature tons of soups/stews with lots of lemon juice. They're delicious! In culinary school I was taught by a brilliant chef from Lebanon. He told us "Add lemon until you think there's just enough, then add a little more!".
I think more lemon would be awesome! I don't add any salt at all. To anything.

Unless I'm baking.

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 am
Father Francis wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 am
I think more lemon would be awesome! I don't add any salt at all. To anything.

Unless I'm baking.
Lentil soups with lemon are to die for. You should try them if you haven't already. I'd give you a recipe, but I don't use recipes except for a basic guideline now and then or the rare occasion when I bake something. Baking is an exact science as much as it is an artform.