Banking While Black

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
K Graham
God

Banking While Black

Post by K Graham »

'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs

Astonishing. A humble black laborer goes to his own bank where he had an account to cash his paycheck. They accused him of using a fake check and called the cops and then lied about having called his work to confirm it was invalid. The cop arrives and castigates the victim for having the audacity to be upset about the situation, informing him that when he gets mad, it shows guilt. Because not only are black people in today's America still expected to tolerate racism, they're also expected to act subdued.

Systemic racism is alive and well.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Re: Banking While Black

Post by bill4long »

OK, I'll bite.
K Graham wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:17 pm
'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs

A humble black laborer goes to his own bank where he had an account to cash his paycheck. They accused him of using a fake check and called the cops and then lied about having called his work to confirm it was invalid. The cop arrives and castigates the victim for having the audacity to be upset about the situation, informing him that when he gets mad, it shows guilt.
Factual. Up until now...
Because not only are black people in today's America still expected to tolerate racism, they're also expected to act subdued.
What? Why do you assume this is because of black-ness? I'm a 60 year old white liberal and this has happened to me about a dozen times in my life. In frickken SO CAL. So then, what? Anti-whiteness-maleness? There are no facts-in-evidence about this case that plausibly leads to the conclusion over all over other plausible conclusions that this was race based. You're watching some fricken "news" show. Did you do your own research? (I'm betting no.) There are several variables a bank has to deal with. Radical leftoid activists will jump at the chance at one variable in support of their radical leftoid agenda. Are you in possession of all the variables?

I'm betting not. Shame on you.
Maybe. But this case isn't evidence of it.

--Bill
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

The bank manager could have easily made a phone call to confirm the legitimacy of the check. Instead, he called the cops. I get banks having issues with fraud. I don't see why he didn't make the call, gave the man his money and everyone just goes on with their day. I can think of one reason. It isn't just minorities faced with this nonsense. In my 20's I had long hair, a beard and dressed like a rivethead. I got pulled over a lot for "broken tail lights" that required a full search of my car with drug sniffing dogs. They never found anything. I cut my hair when I was 30, took out my facial piercings and changed my clothing style. In other words I became the Jane Goodall of suburban life. Those primates have accepted me as their own, not knowing that I'm still a goth freak on the inside. The cops rarely pull me over now. Only twice in the 8 years after. I've never had more than a warning since then. Cops, and other people, are so sure their biased red flag moments just can't be wrong. I wonder what red flag you think the bank manager had in his mind and wonder why you think he called the worksite well after he called the cops. Not to mention he lied about it....
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Father Francis wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:46 am
The bank manager could have easily made a phone call to confirm the legitimacy of the check. Instead, he called the cops. I get banks having issues with fraud. I don't see why he didn't make the call, gave the man his money and everyone just goes on with their day. I can think of one reason. It isn't just minorities faced with this nonsense. In my 20's I had long hair, a beard and dressed like a rivethead. I got pulled over a lot for "broken tail lights" that required a full search of my car with drug sniffing dogs. They never found anything. I cut my hair when I was 30, took out my facial piercings and changed my clothing style. In other words I became the Jane Goodall of suburban life. Those primates have accepted me as their own, not knowing that I'm still a goth freak on the inside. The cops rarely pull me over now. Only twice in the 8 years after. I've never had more than a warning since then. Cops, and other people, are so sure their biased red flag moments just can't be wrong. I wonder what red flag you think the bank manager had in his mind and wonder why you think he called the worksite well after he called the cops. Not to mention he lied about it....
Yes, he lied. One crucial "variable" being ignored by our erstwhile research expert.

ALL BANKS have issues with Fraud. I've been banking for over thirty years and no once, ever, have I been accused of being a criminal. But then I'm neither black nor a "goth freak."
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

K Graham wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:17 pm

Astonishing. A humble black laborer goes to his own bank where he had an account to cash his paycheck. They accused him of using a fake check and called the cops and then lied about having called his work to confirm it was invalid. The cop arrives and castigates the victim for having the audacity to be upset about the situation, informing him that when he gets mad, it shows guilt. Because not only are black people in today's America still expected to tolerate racism, they're also expected to act subdued.

Holy cow!! This has happen to me as well! Bank fraud is a huge problem today. I’ve been banking at the same bank for over twenty years and in the past 7 or 8 years they’ve really stepped up their security. I used to be able to go through the drive-through and not show my ID. Now, even though everyone knows me, I have to show I’d. No matter the color of your skin you should be greatful banks are trying to protect your accounts. Do you actually believe the scenario you describe doesn’t happen to white people?
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Neither of you were arrested at your banks because you wanted to make a common transaction. I don't know why you think anyone would believe this.
Last edited by K Graham on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:52 pm
I've been banking for over thirty years and no once, ever, have I been accused of being a criminal.
How many times have you tried to cash a fraudulent check?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:47 pm
K Graham wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:52 pm
I've been banking for over thirty years and no once, ever, have I been accused of being a criminal.

- Doc
I've cashed probably three dozen checks with nary a problem.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:58 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:47 pm

- Doc
I've cashed probably three dozen checks with nary a problem.
Were they fraudulent checks?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Of course not.