Musings of a Nurse (my work life)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Musings of a Nurse (my work life)

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:14 am
I was observing on my drive home from work that the world just goes on about its business, while others are going through difficult times in their lives. My patient is over there in the hospital about to get some really bad news that I think he knows is coming, and there isn’t a damn thing I can do about it.
That's how it feels to me when a death has taken place. The world goes on about it's business while the world stops for those involved.

That you notice and reflect on these things makes me confident that you are in the right profession. I'm happy you are there. We need more like you. <3
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:07 pm
msnobody wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:14 am
I was observing on my drive home from work that the world just goes on about its business, while others are going through difficult times in their lives. My patient is over there in the hospital about to get some really bad news that I think he knows is coming, and there isn’t a damn thing I can do about it.
That's how it feels to me when a death has taken place. The world goes on about it's business while the world stops for those involved.

That you notice and reflect on these things makes me confident that you are in the right profession. I'm happy you are there. We need more like you. <3
Most people think of PSTD as something that only comes along with military service. No disrespect to our brothers and sisters that have served and are suffering. Many of the best nurses and medics I know are veterans who have seen combat. I think healthcare work takes the same kind of mindset. The fact is, healthcare workers are at high risk for PTSD. We view the world through a different lens and it puts us at risk for depression and suicide as well. We see and experience things that most people never will.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Informant wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:38 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:48 am
Context, please? Was he directing his original expletives at the selfsame nurse who administered the shot, or at someone else?
LOL “selfsame.”
Why the "LOL?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

Dr. Shades wrote: Why the "LOL?"
Sorry, no offense intended.

No one talks like that. It’s archaic.
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Post by DaveIsHere »

Nothing ever "accidently" gets inserted in your rectum. - every ER staff ever.
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

DaveIsHere wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:04 am
Nothing ever "accidently" gets inserted in your rectum. - every ER staff ever.
You’re right in most cases.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Have you ever encountered a patient who mistook a stun gun for a vibrator?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:35 am
Hah, no. I’ve never been an ER nurse. I did work a while in a multi-specialty clinic that included, I suppose, a colorectal clinic. Sometimes you would encounter things you wish you’d never heard. We called it the booty clinic.

This is about as far down this road I’m willing to go.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Post by DaveIsHere »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:35 am
Lady Nurse I dated once would me if a guy that they X-rayed. Was complaining of constipation and such. Turns out dude had an 18"x5" zucchini up his butt, complete game with a tiny stem with one fragile leaf hanging in the breeze.

They needed a gallon of lube and an insane amount of fortitude to get it.
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I guess some of them can refuse to shower. I swear I could have thrown eight bars of soap at this man and not a single one would have made it any closer than I attempted to get to do his eye exam. Ultimately I just couldn't do the slit lamp exam. The gag reflex was just too strong and the stink got expoentially worse the closer I got I just referred him out for cataract surgery and whisked his wheelchair out of the optical. I don't know how the surgeon was able to do that surgery. I thought they had to do a chlorhexidine wash preop but he stunk just as bad when I attempted to do his post op exam. I still laugh when I remember my opticians face gagging and cringing when she tried to measure his pupillary distance.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.