Oh what a tangled web we weave

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Oh what a tangled web we weave

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:54 am
Res it is really a simple question, did Devon Archer visit JB on the 6th? yes he did, I first read it in PS book and verified it with other sources, and you confirm it here…so can we move on with the understanding that Archer met with Joe in the White House? All PS said in the book I read that I am asserting here is this…
As previously noted in Secret Empires, on April 16, 2014, Devon Archer made a private visit to the White House for a meeting with Joe Biden. The day prior, Burisma had deposited more than $112,000 into a Rosemont bank account marked “C/O Devon Archer.”
This is my assertion Res, is this true or not?
No, Markk, it's not a simple question. And that's the point. The best lies are by omission. What you should be asking is
"Why is Peter not telling me about Luke Archer?"
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:57 am
No, Markk, it's not a simple question. And that's the point. The best lies are by omission. What you should be asking is
I don't now, Res -- the Lukas Archer angle could backfire and convince Markk that the plot was even more nefarious than he imagined.
Res Ipsa
God

Who is Luke Archer?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Understandably, there's not much available about Devon Archer's family on the internet. But I did manage to find this picture of the Archer family from 2008. https://www.gettyimages.in/detail/news- ... /621013036

I'm not going to embed the photo, because the rights are owned by Getty, and I don't want to get the board in legal trouble. If you have any question as to whether that's Devon Archer, search Google images. It's him.

And the young one Devon is holding: the photo identifies him as Luke Archer. I think it's fair to say we've found the mysterious Luke Archer that visited the White House with his Dad that day. In 2008, he appears to be around, say a year old? Six years later, when he visited the White House, he was around 7. So, Peter Schweizer wants you to think Devon Archer had a "private" "meeting" with the Vice President in connection with a corrupt deal whereby Joe Biden would use his position as Vice President to corruptly enrich his son and his son's friend, while accompanied by his seven year old son. Except he doesn't tell you what all the facts are. He leaves out the part that shows his whole narrative about the "private" "meeting" is complete nonsense. I don't buy that this is an accidental omission. He boasts about how carefully he researches his books, assisted by a crack team of researchers from his organization (some of whom don't want their names mentioned in connection with this book).

So why did Devon Archer take his son to the White House? Peter won't tell you, because Peter doesn't want you to know that Luke was there at all. But there is a final fact, that puts this all in perspective: Hunter Biden took his longtime friend and business partner to the White House that day. How do we know? There's a copy of Hunter's schedule for the day on the laptop.

https://thenationalpulse.com/2021/04/07 ... ma-emails/

So now, Markk. Be fair, just as you keep urging me to be. What's a fair description of what happened when Devon Archer went to the White House? Is it, as you describe it: "On April 16, 2014, Devon Archer made a private visit to the White House for a meeting with Joe Biden. The day prior, Burisma had deposited more than $112,000 into a Rosemont bank account marked “C/O Devon Archer.” Or is it that Hunter Biden took his close friend and business associate and his seven-year old son to White House to get an insider's tour of the White House?

So, no Markk. What you assert is not "true." There is no evidence of a "meeting" at all, let alone a "private" meeting that had anything to do with Ukraine or Burisma. But it would sure be cool to take your seven year old son to the White House to shake hands with the Vice President and get a peek at the Oval Office.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:25 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:57 am
I don't now, Res -- the Lukas Archer angle could backfire and convince Markk that the plot was even more nefarious than he imagined.
Yes, because seven year old Luke Archer was the mastermind of the entire plot. ;)
he/him

Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:45 am
Yes, because seven year old Luke Archer was the mastermind of the entire plot. ;)
Well. Even Hitler was seven, once.
Res Ipsa
God

Senate Republicans Jump on the Smear

Post by Res Ipsa »

For some reason, Secret Empire didn't make the splash that Clinton Cash did. Maybe that's because Joe Biden hadn't been demonized for decades as Hillary Clinton had been. Or perhaps folks noticed that, not only was there no smoking gun, it was hard to find a gun at all. But, remember, with Clinton Cash, Schweizer just wrote the book. Other people did the job of amplifying it to the voter. And in this case, Rudy Giulanni was the person who led the charge.https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... nd-ukraine
As he rolled out his new book, Schweizer promoted it in all the usual conservative news outlets, including “Hannity” and “The Story with Martha MacCallum,” on Fox News. But the turning point in the Biden coverage, it appears, was in late 2018, when Trump’s private lawyer and political advocate, the former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, got involved. That winter, Giuliani began speaking to current and former Ukrainian officials about the Biden conspiracy theory, and meeting with them repeatedly in New York and Europe. Among those officials was Viktor Shokin, a former top Ukrainian prosecutor who was sacked in March, 2016, after European and U.S. officials, including Joe Biden, complained that he was lax in curbing corruption. Shokin claimed that he had lost his powerful post not because of his poor performance but rather because Biden wanted to stop his investigation of Burisma, in order to protect his son. The facts didn’t back this up. The Burisma investigation had been dormant under Shokin. But in March, according to NBC News, Giuliani gave the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, a packet of Trump Hotel folders containing the purported evidence against Biden, including Giuliani’s interview with Shokin and his strategy to spread the Biden story, “including segments being placed on Fox News.” Before long, this explosive, politically useful legend took on a life of its own in America’s conservative media.
Once again, Peter wrote the book. Others used the material in it to go on the attack, including Ron Johnson, the Republican Senator who chaired the Senate's Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Johnson had pushing the conspiracy theory that Ukraine, and not Russia, had interfered in the 2016 election to help, not Trump, but Clinton.
After three years of insisting that unvetted information should never form the basis for an investigation into an active presidential candidate, Republican members of the Senate would never attempt to do such a thing themselves, right?

Wrong. That is exactly what some are attempting to do in the home stretch of the 2020 election. Specifically, Senator Ron Johnson has been laying the groundwork to undertake Ukrainegate 2.0: An attempt to accomplish through a congressional hearing what President Donald Trump was unable to achieve through his quid pro quo to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, namely, to put Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden, under a cloud of suspicion before the country votes this November. And rather than wait for any report voted out by his committee, Johnson has taken to penning an open letter and tweeting out insinuations.
https://www.justsecurity.org/72148/mana ... n-part-ii/ (August 2020).

Here is Senator Johnson's letter, dated August 2020, less than two months before the election.https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000173 ... ff64110000 His description of the "meeting" should ring a bell:
On April 16, 2014, Vice President Biden met with his son’s business partner, Devon Archer, at the White House. Five days later, Vice President Biden visited Ukraine, and the media described him as the “public face of the administration’s handling of Ukraine.” The next day, April 22, Archer joined the board of Burisma.
That's right -- Peter's dishonestly incomplete description of the meeting was amplified by Senate Republicans, who hurriedly assembled an "investigation" just before the election. And the Republicans on the committee, together with those on Senator Grassley's Finance Committee, even issued a an interim "report" on September 23, 2020, about six weeks before the election, which contained this familiar description of Devon Archer's trip to the White House:
On April 16, 2014, Vice President Biden met with his son’s business partner, Devon Archer, at the White House. Five days later, Vice President Biden visited Ukraine, and he soon after was described in the press as the “public face of the administration’s handling of Ukraine.” The day after his visit, on April 22, Archer joined the board of Burisma.
https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/in my opinion/media/ ... _FINAL.pdf

This is how smear campaigns work. Peter laid the groundwork. Media and Republican Senators breathlessly regurgitated his set up for the whole conspiracy. They had the evidence, but they weren't really interested in looking.

I sure hope Luke has fond memories of his trip to the White House with his Dad.

-30-
he/him

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Senate Republicans Jump on the Smear

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:37 am
For some reason, Secret Empire didn't make the splash that Clinton Cash did. Maybe that's because Joe Biden hadn't been demonized for decades as Hillary Clinton had been. Or perhaps folks noticed that, not only was there no smoking gun, it was hard to find a gun at all. But, remember, with Clinton Cash, Schweizer just wrote the book. Other people did the job of amplifying it to the voter. And in this case, Rudy Giulanni was the person who led the charge.https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... nd-ukraine
As he rolled out his new book, Schweizer promoted it in all the usual conservative news outlets, including “Hannity” and “The Story with Martha MacCallum,” on Fox News. But the turning point in the Biden coverage, it appears, was in late 2018, when Trump’s private lawyer and political advocate, the former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, got involved. That winter, Giuliani began speaking to current and former Ukrainian officials about the Biden conspiracy theory, and meeting with them repeatedly in New York and Europe. Among those officials was Viktor Shokin, a former top Ukrainian prosecutor who was sacked in March, 2016, after European and U.S. officials, including Joe Biden, complained that he was lax in curbing corruption. Shokin claimed that he had lost his powerful post not because of his poor performance but rather because Biden wanted to stop his investigation of Burisma, in order to protect his son. The facts didn’t back this up. The Burisma investigation had been dormant under Shokin. But in March, according to NBC News, Giuliani gave the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, a packet of Trump Hotel folders containing the purported evidence against Biden, including Giuliani’s interview with Shokin and his strategy to spread the Biden story, “including segments being placed on Fox News.” Before long, this explosive, politically useful legend took on a life of its own in America’s conservative media.
Once again, Peter wrote the book. Others used the material in it to go on the attack, including Ron Johnson, the Republican Senator who chaired the Senate's Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Johnson had pushing the conspiracy theory that Ukraine, and not Russia, had interfered in the 2016 election to help, not Trump, but Clinton.
After three years of insisting that unvetted information should never form the basis for an investigation into an active presidential candidate, Republican members of the Senate would never attempt to do such a thing themselves, right?

Wrong. That is exactly what some are attempting to do in the home stretch of the 2020 election. Specifically, Senator Ron Johnson has been laying the groundwork to undertake Ukrainegate 2.0: An attempt to accomplish through a congressional hearing what President Donald Trump was unable to achieve through his quid pro quo to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, namely, to put Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden, under a cloud of suspicion before the country votes this November. And rather than wait for any report voted out by his committee, Johnson has taken to penning an open letter and tweeting out insinuations.
https://www.justsecurity.org/72148/mana ... n-part-ii/ (August 2020).

Here is Senator Johnson's letter, dated August 2020, less than two months before the election.https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000173 ... ff64110000 His description of the "meeting" should ring a bell:
On April 16, 2014, Vice President Biden met with his son’s business partner, Devon Archer, at the White House. Five days later, Vice President Biden visited Ukraine, and the media described him as the “public face of the administration’s handling of Ukraine.” The next day, April 22, Archer joined the board of Burisma.
That's right -- Peter's dishonestly incomplete description of the meeting was amplified by Senate Republicans, who hurriedly assembled an "investigation" just before the election. And the Republicans on the committee, together with those on Senator Grassley's Finance Committee, even issued a an interim "report" on September 23, 2020, about six weeks before the election, which contained this familiar description of Devon Archer's trip to the White House:
On April 16, 2014, Vice President Biden met with his son’s business partner, Devon Archer, at the White House. Five days later, Vice President Biden visited Ukraine, and he soon after was described in the press as the “public face of the administration’s handling of Ukraine.” The day after his visit, on April 22, Archer joined the board of Burisma.
https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/in my opinion/media/doc/Ukraine%20Report_FINAL.pdf

This is how smear campaigns work. Peter laid the groundwork. Media and Republican Senators breathlessly regurgitated his set up for the whole conspiracy. They had the evidence, but they weren't really interested in looking.

I sure hope Luke has fond memories of his trip to the White House with his Dad.

-30-
I am not sure what your point is other than you believe an person that is serving prison time at thi moment, for trying bilk a Native American Tribe out 50 plus million dollars, and whom was paid millions by a Ukrainian Russian backed gangster would not do business with his young son at hand?

But agian at least you confirmed PS, the NY post, Goverment documents were all correct that Archer visited the White House for a private meeting with Joe.

The next question is what happened after thy meeting? lastly, please note that Archer is in Prison, MZ is hiding abroad, Hunter Biden is in deep yogurt and might be indited, and PS is at home with his family.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk, all those pleas for me to be fair, and simply ignore what I actually said. No, there was no private meeting with Devon Archer. Hunter took his friend and his friends kid to the White House. Look at the log again. You can see lots of meeting rooms. The West Wing is not a room — it is a building with lots of cool stuff to see. You don’t take a seven year old kid to a “private meeting” where you conspire with the Vice President to corruptly conduct foreign policy.

You have no interest in being fair. You just keep right on parroting the same claims feed to you by a smear artist. The question is whether Joe Biden did something corrupt. Archer’s deal with the tribe had absolutely nothing to do with Joe Biden, yet you keep trying to smear him with it. The whole premise of your assertion that Joe Biden was in on a scheme from the beginning is based on unfounded claims about a private meeting that there is no evidence for. Just like Schweitzer, you can’t show that Joe Biden misused his authority as VP at all with respect to Ukraine.

Donald Trump had his private lawyer scour Ukraine in search of evidence that Biden was corrupt. It was all a smoke screen to try and distract the actual Ukraine corruption — Trump caught red handed misusing his government power for his own benefit — manufacturing a smear against Biden.

Look, I’m not saying that you tried to deceive anybody. The deceiver here was Schweizer, with assists from Rudy and Senate Republicans. But parroting his stuff without the slightest bit of skepticism just ends up making you look silly. Doing your research doesn’t mean latching on to what you want to believe — it means thinking for yourself and making sure you aren’t being duped by a guy who hides the evidence that undercuts his whole claim.

And, no, I’m not going down the next rabbit hole with you. Researching Peter’s claim was fun and I had a good time figuring out what he wasn’t telling us in his book. But it took a day to research and write up this one major bit of deception. And despite your calls for reasonableness, it’s clear you didn’t even try to read and understand the actual evidence with anything close to an open mind.

I’m going to enjoy my Sunday without Hunter and his pals. I hope you enjoy yours, too
he/him

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:49 am
Markk, all those pleas for me to be fair, and simply ignore what I actually said. No, there was no private meeting with Devon Archer. Hunter took his friend and his friends kid to the White House. Look at the log again. You can see lots of meeting rooms. The West Wing is not a room — it is a building with lots of cool stuff to see. You don’t take a seven year old kid to a “private meeting” where you conspire with the Vice President to corruptly conduct foreign policy.

You have no interest in being fair. You just keep right on parroting the same claims feed to you by a smear artist. The question is whether Joe Biden did something corrupt. Archer’s deal with the tribe had absolutely nothing to do with Joe Biden, yet you keep trying to smear him with it. The whole premise of your assertion that Joe Biden was in on a scheme from the beginning is based on unfounded claims about a private meeting that there is no evidence for. Just like Schweitzer, you can’t show that Joe Biden misused his authority as VP at all with respect to Ukraine.

Donald Trump had his private lawyer scour Ukraine in search of evidence that Biden was corrupt. It was all a smoke screen to try and distract the actual Ukraine corruption — Trump caught red handed misusing his government power for his own benefit — manufacturing a smear against Biden.

Look, I’m not saying that you tried to deceive anybody. The deceiver here was Schweizer, with assists from Rudy and Senate Republicans. But parroting his stuff without the slightest bit of skepticism just ends up making you look silly. Doing your research doesn’t mean latching on to what you want to believe — it means thinking for yourself and making sure you aren’t being duped by a guy who hides the evidence that undercuts his whole claim.

And, no, I’m not going down the next rabbit hole with you. Researching Peter’s claim was fun and I had a good time figuring out what he wasn’t telling us in his book. But it took a day to research and write up this one major bit of deception. And despite your calls for reasonableness, it’s clear you didn’t even try to read and understand the actual evidence with anything close to an open mind.

I’m going to enjoy my Sunday without Hunter and his pals. I hope you enjoy yours, too
Nonsense…LOL The West Wing is not just “ a building with a lot of cool stuff”…it is where policies are made and deals made. It is were the presidents office is, it wher the press secretaries office is, the chief of staff’s office, the VP’s office and the cabinet room… let me help you understand this better , look at the floor plan… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Wing ... _Floor.png

Your whole theory here, a more than classic straw man if there ever one was, is that you are creating is that PS made all this stuff up. The facts are and it was never refuted is that Archer meet with Biden, and he did.You have no idea once happened once they were in the White House, as I or PS don’t know either…but the fact remains it happened, and we can start following the money.

I’ll move on to the next phase if this exercise.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:58 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:49 am

Nonsense…LOL The West Wing is not just “ a building with a lot of cool stuff”…it is where policies are made and deals made. It is were the presidents office is, it wher the press secretaries office is, the chief of staff’s office, the VP’s office and the cabinet room… let me help you understand this better , look at the floor plan… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Wing ... _Floor.png

Your whole theory here, a more than classic straw man if there ever one was, is that you are creating is that PS made all this stuff up. The facts are and it was never refuted is that Archer meet with Biden, and he did.You have no idea once happened once they were in the White House, as I or PS don’t know either…but the fact remains it happened, and we can start following the money.

I’ll move on to the next phase if this exercise.
You’ve shifted the goalposts, equivocating on the meaning of meeting to try and rescue the narrative you are desperate to cling to. Schweizer’s sole evidence was the log. The log doesn’t say there was a meeting — he made that up. You don’t know what happened after the three arrived at the West Wing. I don’t know. And Peter Schweitzer doesn’t know either. The difference is, he’s the guy who made bank by withholding from you information that undercut his conspiracy theory. And you still trust him because you want to believe what he said.

Hunter knew he was taking a seven year old to the White House — it’s on his schedule. It was planned to take young Luke to the White House. Use that common sense you keep talking about. There was no “private meeting” with Archer and Biden — his kid was with him.

And you’ve completely missed the point about the West Wing. The column where West Wing is written is for the room or location where the guest is going. Look at the logs. Lots of the entries specify a room, even in the West Wing. But the appointment for the Archers wasn’t for an office or a room.
— it was for the whole building. Where was this private meeting supposed to be held?

You can shift the goalposts by changing private meeting with Joe Biden to met Joe Biden, but that completely undercuts your claim of a private meeting about Burisma. I think you get that, because, now that you know the actual evidence about the “meeting”, you can’t even bring yourself to describe the event correctly.
he/him