Aging, death, and the gospel

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
ajax18
God

Re: Aging, death, and the gospel

Post by ajax18 »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:45 am
Scripture says first comes death, then judgement.
Are you a Jehovah's Witness? I'm just wondering if death means something different to you than my lds perspective of death being the separation of your body and your spirit?

I liked this link on near death experiences about Hugh Nibley. The spirit world is more real than the world we live in right now. We're actually spirts having a human experience, not humans having an occasional spiritual experience. We try to figure out the impossible and yet it only takes a simple childlike faith to carry us wherever we need to go. And what does that mean? To me it means trusting in the Lord? trust what? For me it's the trust that His plan of happiness is what is in the best interest of all of us as individuals and as a collective. Believing that, gives me unlimited strength. I have no evidence for that other than it works for me. I like myself much more as a believer.

https://bookofmormoncentral.org/blog/White House ... se-of-life
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him,
Job 13:15.

I love this scripture. It's so simple and yet it is applicable to everyone of us. There is no fear nor anxiety about our own mortality for those who believe and come to know the truth of Job's words.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:18 pm
Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him,

I love this scripture. It's so simple and yet it is applicable to everyone of us. There is no fear nor anxiety about our own mortality for those who believe and come to know the truth of Job's words.
Kinda like your attitude towards GOP leaders.

You still think your imaginary man in the sky is white and delightsome.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Uncle Rico
Sunbeam

Post by Uncle Rico »

K Graham wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:27 pm
ajax18 wrote:

God is whatever "color" his children need him to be. This is a simple fact most grasp early in life.
I IDENTIFY AS A TENURED PROFESSOR & PROFESSIONAL STUD MUFFIN
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
ajax18 wrote:

I think you’re a little off on that one. It’s more like:
I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews [Bolshevism, Banks, and debauchery - Doc] I am fighting for the Lord's work.

- Adolf Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936
Throw in some Confederate nostalgia for the “natural order of things” and mystery solved.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Uncle Rico wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:28 pm
K Graham wrote:

God is whatever "color" his children need him to be. This is a simple fact most grasp early in life.

Why do we need God to be a certain color, Mike?

(personally, I’d like to see plaid be the default)
Uncle Rico
Sunbeam

Post by Uncle Rico »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:42 pm
Uncle Rico wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:28 pm

Why do we need God to be a certain color, Mike?

Uncle Rico, Rico, Stud Muffin or Professor. Not Mike!
I IDENTIFY AS A TENURED PROFESSOR & PROFESSIONAL STUD MUFFIN
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:42 pm
Which begs the question, what is the tartan of the Tetragrammaton?
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 am
msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:45 am
Scripture says first comes death, then judgement.
Are you a Jehovah's Witness? I'm just wondering if death means something different to you than my lds perspective of death being the separation of your body and your spirit?

I liked this link on near death experiences about Hugh Nibley. The spirit world is more real than the world we live in right now. We're actually spirts having a human experience, not humans having an occasional spiritual experience. We try to figure out the impossible and yet it only takes a simple childlike faith to carry us wherever we need to go. And what does that mean? To me it means trusting in the Lord? trust what? For me it's the trust that His plan of happiness is what is in the best interest of all of us as individuals and as a collective. Believing that, gives me unlimited strength. I have no evidence for that other than it works for me. I like myself much more as a believer.

https://bookofmormoncentral.org/blog/White House ... se-of-life
No, I am not a Jehovah’s Witness in the sense of the Watchtower organization. I’m a whosoever.

With regard to death, I would agree that physical death results in death of the physical body and separation of our spirit. Due to our sin nature, or our propensity to sin, we are spiritually dead toward God. This is why scripture says we must be born again to see the kingdom of God. We are all guilty before God. None of us are righteous (have a right standing before God). We are told that we store up wrath because of our hard and impenitent hearts. We are promised and warned of a day of judgement, where God will separate the righteous from the unrighteous; some for eternal life and others to experience his wrath and fury. It is written, it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgement (Heb. 9:27). There is no more opportunity after physical death to be made righteous (right before God), In other words, no more opportunity after death to be made spiritually alive toward God. This is the reason for my urgent plea in my original post. Every day that passes, brings us one day closer.
I would assert that the gospel, or good news, is not a plan of happiness, but a plan of holiness. I’ve always heard that God isn’t concerned about our happiness, but instead his desire is to make us holy.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I would assert that the gospel, or good news, is not a plan of happiness, but a plan of holiness. I’ve always heard that God isn’t concerned about our happiness, but instead his desire is to make us holy.
I couldn't think of anything that would bring more happiness to me than to be truly made whole through Jesus Christ.