Biden spoke today

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Biden spoke today

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:27 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:05 am

It’s not a question of total profits. It’s a question of whether the next well drilled can be profitable. The companies that drill aren’t all mega corporations. Some are much smaller outfits. Some of those guys got hammered in 2020 when the bottom fell out. If the war ends tomorrow and boycotts against Russia ends, where does the price go? If US drillers stick their necks out and drill to open a bunch of new shale oil wells and the price per barrel drops back down to $40 or $50, that would be a big loss. It’s pretty clear that US drillers aren’t going to drill a ton of new shale wells unless they are confident that process will stay high.
I agree. Also most of these small outfits probably sold out and their workers are doing other things. If a company, big or small is going to start drilling, they first need the management and workers to make it happen, then they need equipment and material…and that takes time.
I read something about 2020 and there were some drillers that went broke, though not as many as I’d guessed. Those oil shale wells deplete lots faster than conventional wells. I’m assuming that makes the cost per barrel at the wellhead even higher. It’s a nasty situation for smaller drillers, especially when the competition can increase production at a cost of $20 per barrel.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:26 am
Too late for the slow wean, which would have been perfectly feasible 30 years ago. Now we’re going to have a rough transition that we could have avoided plus significant additional costs from climate change.
We did not have technology 30 years ago Res, not even remotely close. And we are not close technology wise for a energy efficient world. WE need to wean and assimilate to green power and it will take 50 years of so to even get close.

Then you need to talk to china and other alike nations…they are opening coal plants like we open Starbucks. It is a one step forward two steps back scenario.

https://time.com/6090732/china-coal-pow ... emissions/
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:38 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Too late for the slow wean, which would have been perfectly feasible 30 years ago. Now we’re going to have a rough transition that we could have avoided plus significant additional costs from climate change.
We did not have technology 30 years ago Res, not even remotely close. And we are not close technology wise for a energy efficient world. WE need to wean and assimilate to green power and it will take 50 years of so to even get close.

Then you need to talk to china and other alike nations…they are opening coal plants like we open Starbucks. It is a one step forward two steps back scenario.

How much solar energy is China producing?

It won’t take 50 years. We could have started 30 years ago. But we just ignored it and kicked the cab down the road. And now it’s gonna cost a crapload more and lead to more death and suffering.
he/him

Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 am
Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:27 am

I agree. Also most of these small outfits probably sold out and their workers are doing other things. If a company, big or small is going to start drilling, they first need the management and workers to make it happen, then they need equipment and material…and that takes time.
I read something about 2020 and there were some drillers that went broke, though not as many as I’d guessed. Those oil shale wells deplete lots faster than conventional wells. I’m assuming that makes the cost per barrel at the wellhead even higher. It’s a nasty situation for smaller drillers, especially when the competition can increase production at a cost of $20 per barrel.
We can do it if we have the will. Between Canada and the US we have about 3/4 of the oil reserves of Saudi Arabia, if I read correctly…again we need to do what we do best and do it…an dits okay if oil companies get rich doing it in that every one will benefit. Folks can save money for solar, instead of paying high prices at the pump and everywhere else.
Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:40 am
Markk wrote:

It won’t take 50 years. We could have started 30 years ago. But we just ignored it and kicked the cab down the road. And now it’s gonna cost a crapload more and lead to more death and suffering.
We did start 30 years ago with what technology we had, and have a assimilated to where where we are. Catalytic converters, emissions regulations, unleaded gas as an example, but to my point we did not have the technology we have today, not even remotely close…we did not have computers at any real sense, no solar technology for the average home owner, no real wind technology or means.

WhenI was in jr.high and high school, late 60s early to mid seventy’s, we had smog alert days where we could not even dress for PE. We could see the smog rolling in from LA, and by the end of the day we were basically choking. I live and lived at the base of mount San Gorgonio, the highest mountain in So cal and we could not even see it…so to my point we have assimilated a long way without ruining the economy.

I have no idea how much solar energy China is producing, I can google it, like you probably did….but I know they are increasing coal energy at a alarming rate, rape-ing the earth, and don’t care at all and will continue to do it. And our administration will not even address it.

What is wrong with natural gas…I personally just don’t get it, it could be the buffer between what we are talking about. Is it perfect no, but it will buy time for us to assimilate in the100% wind and solar and wean us off of oil, even if impossible any time soon. And Wind and solar is not even close to being any where practical is cold/windless areas. I live about 30 minutes from Palm Springs,and the wind farms is a disgrace to the desert area, it is a ugly mess of a once beautiful desert, and I doubt pays for itself, my guess is the government is subsidizing it.

Point being it is easy to talk about, but much harder to actually do.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 am
Kevin I am just laying some of the realities of what it may take to open up drilling operations. It is not as easy as a sentence in a speech. There are real hurdles to jump over.
This isn't rocket science. Expanded drilling will only occur if the private companies responsible for it can make it profitable. Corporations are in the business of making money. They're not in the business of doing what's best for the American people.
Markk wrote:
I don’t recall what you did/do for a living, but dealing with government agencies is a long, painful, and expensive process.
Which is irrelevant in this situation.
Markk wrote:
And I guess you are suggesting that Oil companies should just blindly throw out monies with no guarantee for a prophet in return, or even covering costs, and a very good chance for majors loses.
What I'd suggest isn't going to happen, but it would solve all our problems. The Federal government should take over the oil industry. When private corporations take control of anything, it is strictly driven by profits. This is true for the drug industry as well. The government may or may not make a profit, but that's irrelevant as the government's job is to provide a service for the people. The oil in the ground should belong to the people, not private companies who don't even come close to paying a fair price for their leases to pump money out of the ground.
Markk wrote:
Keep in mind loses are usually returned to us at the pump. In order for lower prices at the pump, we need the oil companies to make a profit, right of wrong that is just the way business works.
Their profits soared nearly $200 billion just this past year. They're profiteering off the plight of American society.

Can you explain why gas jumps by a dollar in less than a month when supply/demand hasn't been affected? Why does it rise quickly but then take forever to drop? Because they've rigged the game. They know they can charge whatever the hell they want in times of global crises because they know the people will simply blame the crisis instead of them. The fact is oil companies are making ludicrous profits at the expense of the American people during a time of crisis, and Biden is doing the right thing by holding them accountable.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Markk wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

We never bothered to invest in Green Energy to the extent that was needed until Obama/Biden, and you're wrong about not having the technology today. We could carve out 100 sq miles out of the Mohave desert and use the free sunlight to power our entire country. But that takes bold initiatives which Republicans, who've been addicted to oil for decades, refuse to support.

A similar project is in the works to use the North African desert's sunlight to power all of Europe.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 am
For a brief moment there (as demand sunk, and storage filled), WTI Crude was trading in the negative. I can only imagine how many outfits operating on small/tight margins (without crazy cash/investor reserves) had to toss in the towel as they weren't just unable to sell at a profit, but were having difficulty selling what they had at all.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:38 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:40 am

We did start 30 years ago with what technology we had, and have a assimilated to where where we are. Catalytic converters, emissions regulations, unleaded gas as an example, but to my point we did not have the technology we have today, not even remotely close…we did not have computers at any real sense, no solar technology for the average home owner, no real wind technology or means.

WhenI was in jr.high and high school, late 60s early to mid seventy’s, we had smog alert days where we could not even dress for PE. We could see the smog rolling in from LA, and by the end of the day we were basically choking. I live and lived at the base of mount San Gorgonio, the highest mountain in So cal and we could not even see it…so to my point we have assimilated a long way without ruining the economy.

I have no idea how much solar energy China is producing, I can google it, like you probably did….but I know they are increasing coal energy at a alarming rate, rape-ing the earth, and don’t care at all and will continue to do it. And our administration will not even address it.

What is wrong with natural gas…I personally just don’t get it, it could be the buffer between what we are talking about. Is it perfect no, but it will buy time for us to assimilate in the100% wind and solar and wean us off of oil, even if impossible any time soon. And Wind and solar is not even close to being any where practical is cold/windless areas. I live about 30 minutes from Palm Springs,and the wind farms is a disgrace to the desert area, it is a ugly mess of a once beautiful desert, and I doubt pays for itself, my guess is the government is subsidizing it.

Replacing coal with natural gas is a significant step. But replacing oil with natural gas isn't as big a step, especially given what we're finding: that more methane is being discharged in the process that had been assumed in the past.

Assimilated to what? None of what you describe represents reduction of fossil fuels as an energy source. But when legislation was introduced to get rid of the clouds of smog, all kinds of people claimed it would "ruin the economy." Do you remember the non-stop belly aching over catalytic converters? People said the same kind of thing about regulations on coal stacks to stop the formation of acid rain. And when we banned use of CFCs to stop destruction of the ozone layer. Conservatives have cried wolf so often that this change or that change will "destroy the economy" that it's a wonder anyone still takes it seriously.

We've taken almost no steps to accelerate a transition away from fossil fuels. And if we left it to the market, what's happening right now is what that process would look like. No one would switch over until the cost of fossil fuels became painfully high. Then people have a strong economic incentive to find alternative power sources. Given your level of resistance to doing anything to transition away from "the lifeblood of the planet," it sounds like all you're willing to support is kicking the can down the road to your kids and grandkids solve it -- only after having spent a metric buttload of money on the consequences of climate change.
he/him

Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:23 pm
Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:38 am

Replacing coal with natural gas is a significant step. But replacing oil with natural gas isn't as big a step, especially given what we're finding: that more methane is being discharged in the process that had been assumed in the past.

Assimilated to what? None of what you describe represents reduction of fossil fuels as an energy source. But when legislation was introduced to get rid of the clouds of smog, all kinds of people claimed it would "ruin the economy." Do you remember the non-stop belly aching over catalytic converters? People said the same kind of thing about regulations on coal stacks to stop the formation of acid rain. And when we banned use of CFCs to stop destruction of the ozone layer. Conservatives have cried wolf so often that this change or that change will "destroy the economy" that it's a wonder anyone still takes it seriously.

We've taken almost no steps to accelerate a transition away from fossil fuels. And if we left it to the market, what's happening right now is what that process would look like. No one would switch over until the cost of fossil fuels became painfully high. Then people have a strong economic incentive to find alternative power sources. Given your level of resistance to doing anything to transition away from "the lifeblood of the planet," it sounds like all you're willing to support is kicking the can down the road to your kids and grandkids solve it -- only after having spent a metric buttload of money on the consequences of climate change.

The point is we are cleaning up our act and assimilating to a better place…with cleaner burning fossils fuels. We will get to renewables, but it will take a long time and more advancements in technologies. It’s going to take time.

It’s a reality that our grandkids are going to have to handle some of it, and there kids and so on. You can preach liberal values in this all day long, but in the end you rely on oil and no matter how much you preach about it, that will not change. You said because of where you live solar is not practical, what source is available…where do you live?