Did Trump "Drain" the swamp?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
canpakes
God

Re: Did Trump "Drain" the swamp?

Post by canpakes »

Markk wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:12 pm
What about the economy? Did he do a good job?

Offhand, I cannot think of any Trump Administration policies that significantly changed the already-existing overall trend lines for any particular economically-related thing, until COVID hit.

Not that there may have been none, but I’d say that it’s more of a matter of the Trump Administration not doing anything that ‘screwed things up’ prior to COVID.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 pm
Markk wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:12 pm
What about the economy? Did he do a good job?

Offhand, I cannot think of any Trump Administration policies that significantly changed the already-existing overall trend lines for any particular economically-related thing, until COVID hit.

Not that there may have been none, but I’d say that it’s more of a matter of the Trump Administration not doing anything that ‘screwed things up’ prior to COVID.
So you don’t know and can’t make real assessment.

What about the Vaccine…did he do a good job getting that fast tracked?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Trump should have fired every single cabinet member and replaced the entire deep state on day 1. I hope Elon Musk looks at the results of Trump not firing and replacing everyone hostile to the new management and chooses more wisely as he takes control of Twitter.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Trump was a mixed bag for the economy. Short term, he helped redline financial markets who reacted with exuberance out of the gate, anticipating the reduction in regulations and taxes before he even took office. The windfall from tax breaks to corporations were frequently used for stock buybacks that pushed stock prices up rather than companies investing those savings into long term yields. So in a sense the economy seemed hot under Trump, and if one only takes a short term view one may think he was an overall net positive.

But the heat came with long term downsides we are paying for now and will be for some time to come. He pushed hard to keep interest rates artificially low combined with increased government spending, which set up and contributes to the inflation spike we are experiencing. Not all inflation is due to actions Trump took while in office, but it's a mistake to imagine we weren't going to have inflation as a result of his behaviors. The trade wars he engaged in were more friction and uncertainty which dragged on the economy's healthy growth.

Some people like to compare the national economy to a household budget, which is bad practice. But it may be the closest approximation that has a chance at illustrating how it could be looked at.

Essentially, Trump took out multiple lines of credit and started maxing them out with the view he wouldn't be around to have to pay the bills. He haggled aggressively with the milkman, butcher, and the candlestick maker, resulting in fluctuations in the prices milk, meat, and candles, before ending up settling on paying the same amount as before for all three but now with distrust between the parties. COVID was an unexpected medical situation in a household already living above their means on borrowed income they believed would eventually pay for itself. Then Trump left and is now standing on the other side of the street with a sign asking how the household enjoys living in the mess they are in? And don't they want him back because wasn't life so much better when the credit cards were new and shiny, the bills weren't coming due, and the milkman and butcher weren't making deals with the other neighbors to buffer them from future problems with the household?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Markk wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:21 pm
canpakes wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 pm

More correctly, your question about ‘the economy’ is ridiculously vague.

Pick any number of more-specific items associated with ‘the economy’, and let’s discuss.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Don’t forget this question, Markk -
You’ve said that you trust our military. That more or less answers a question that I posed earlier (“What would you prefer us to do differently?”) if I assume that you’re trying to say that you would not have done anything differently, operationally speaking. But, that’s after-the-fact of our having agreed to assist, and I’m still curious about your thoughts on this other question:
Or do you prefer that we would stay completely outside of the situation in both opinion and supplies?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:49 pm
Trump was a mixed bag for the economy. Short term, he helped redline financial markets who reacted with exuberance out of the gate, anticipating the reduction in regulations and taxes before he even took office. The windfall from tax breaks to corporations were frequently used for stock buybacks that pushed stock prices up rather than companies investing those savings into long term yields. So in a sense the economy seemed hot under Trump, and if one only takes a short term view one may think he was an overall net positive.

But the heat came with long term downsides we are paying for now and will be for some time to come. He pushed hard to keep interest rates artificially low combined with increased government spending, which set up and contributes to the inflation spike we are experiencing. Not all inflation is due to actions Trump took while in office, but it's a mistake to imagine we weren't going to have inflation as a result of his behaviors. The trade wars he engaged in were more friction and uncertainty which dragged on the economy's healthy growth.

Some people like to compare the national economy to a household budget, which is bad practice. But it may be the closest approximation that has a chance at illustrating how it could be looked at.

Essentially, Trump took out multiple lines of credit and started maxing them out with the view he wouldn't be around to have to pay the bills. He haggled aggressively with the milkman, butcher, and the candlestick maker, resulting in fluctuations in the prices milk, meat, and candles, before ending up settling on paying the same amount as before for all three but now with distrust between the parties. COVID was an unexpected medical situation in a household already living above their means on borrowed income they believed would eventually pay for itself. Then Trump left and is now standing on the other side of the street with a sign asking how the household enjoys living in the mess they are in? And don't they want him back because wasn't life so much better when the credit cards were new and shiny, the bills weren't coming due, and the milkman and butcher weren't making deals with the other neighbors to buffer them from future problems with the household?
You hit on my two major criticisms of his economic policy. Overall, he didn’t try to fix something that wasn’t broken and so stayed out of the way of the recovery he inherited. The tax cuts were typically stupidly timed fiscal policy. There’s no need to juice an economy that’s running hot. When the economy is strong is the time to shrink the deficit — not blow it wide open. Badgering the Fed to leave interest rates at their ultra low levels when there started to be indicators of inflation was also a poor move. But that’s consistent with his fixation with the stock market as the measure of the country’s economic health. My third criticism would be drastically restricting immigration in a tightening labor market. Excluding immigration, the US population is shrinking. Without immigration, labor shortages will create even more inflation.

But, overall, I’d give him a B for not getting in the way of the economy.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 pm
Markk wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:21 pm

More correctly, your question about ‘the economy’ is ridiculously vague.

Pick any number of more-specific items associated with ‘the economy’, and let’s discuss.
LOL… it is a simple question. It’s not vague, did he do a good job with the economy or not? Your answer is what was vague. I think he did a great job overall. I think A’s are hard to get, but overall a high B.

Your answer was that he basically did not screw up Obama’s (or someone else economy) …so I guess in your mind he did nothing and he did not effect the economy in his four years one way or the other.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:50 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:49 pm

You hit on my two major criticisms of his economic policy. Overall, he didn’t try to fix something that wasn’t broken and so stayed out of the way of the recovery he inherited. The tax cuts were typically stupidly timed fiscal policy. There’s no need to juice an economy that’s running hot. When the economy is strong is the time to shrink the deficit — not blow it wide open. Badgering the Fed to leave interest rates at their ultra low levels when there started to be indicators of inflation was also a poor move. But that’s consistent with his fixation with the stock market as the measure of the country’s economic health. My third criticism would be drastically restricting immigration in a tightening labor market. Excluding immigration, the US population is shrinking. Without immigration, labor shortages will create even more inflation.

But, overall, I’d give him a B for not getting in the way of the economy.
So then if it tanks today…it will be either Obama’s fault,or Bidens? Is that fair…but anyways B is better than average. So IYO…he did a very good job. Is that fair?
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:43 pm
Don’t forget this question, Markk -
You’ve said that you trust our military. That more or less answers a question that I posed earlier (“What would you prefer us to do differently?”) if I assume that you’re trying to say that you would not have done anything differently, operationally speaking. But, that’s after-the-fact of our having agreed to assist, and I’m still curious about your thoughts on this other question:
Or do you prefer that we would stay completely outside of the situation in both opinion and supplies?
I answered that question? I don’t know what we are doing now, other than what we are told…but I gather we are doing much more that we, the public, don’t know about, at least I hope so. I am not sure it it is even after-the fact, in that we give them billions in aids yearly…we ar e just continuing it. But I hav e to believe we are training (Biden let that one out of the bag)…I am sure the CIA is offering intelligence and training. I never implied or said to stay outside it, for any other reason. But no I don’t think we should stay outside it…that is impossible we are to committed between NATO and other reasons.

I am no sure what your latest plan is with this repeated question, that I have answered…what is your point? If you are asking whether or not I am worried…yes. Do I think Joe is mentally fit for a war…no, do I believe our military minds are fit…yes, do I worry about politics in regards to this yes…