The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: THIS and That

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:43 pm
:lol:
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: THIS and That.

Post by Dr. Shades »

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 am
2022 July 11 - Andromeda over the Sahara Desert.

You know that that's photoshopped, right? The Andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye as just another star.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:12 am
Elizabeth wrote:
1,500,002,022 July 11 - Andromeda over the Sahara Desert.

You know that that's photoshopped, right? The Andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye as just another star.

I fixed it, Shades.
Elizabeth
Stake President

THIS and That.

Post by Elizabeth »

2022 July 13 - Webb s First Deep Field.

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:58 am
2022 July 13 - Webb s First Deep Field.

That’s an impressive diversity of objects.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Canpakes wrote:That’s an impressive diversity of objects.
taken from a telescope built by a diverse team.

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/meetTheTe ... index.html

the average white nationalist wouldn't be able to find the moon with a pair of binoculars.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Res Ipsa wrote: a helpful contrast between the exquisite beauty that can be found in the world and universe with the ugliness and depravity that can exist in the human soul
reminds me of the grade-school teacher in Iron Sky who taught the kids Arianism in her primary voice.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

In my youth I had period of fascination with astronomy. I learned about the visible night sky and am familiar with looking at the Andromeda gaIaxy with the naked eye. It is a hazy patch definitely larger than a star but quite a bit smaller than the moon. This observation would not change the view that the photo combines a telescope's time exposure image with a landform image.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:12 am
Elizabeth wrote:
2022 July 11 - Andromeda over the Sahara Desert.

I think "composed" might be a better term than photoshopped. For those posting copyrighted images, please include the source of the photo, including identification of the owner. In this case, the relevant information is:

Andromeda over the Sahara Desert

Credit & Copyright: Jordi Coy

Explanation: What is the oldest thing you can see? At 2.5 million light years distant, the answer for the unaided eye is the Andromeda galaxy, because its photons are 2.5 million years old when they reach you. Most other apparent denizens of the night sky -- stars, clusters, and nebulae -- appear as they were only a few hundred to a few thousand years ago, as they lie well within our own Milky Way Galaxy. Given its distance, light from Andromeda is likely also the farthest object that you can see. Also known as M31, the Andromeda Galaxy dominates the center of the featured zoomed image, taken from the Sahara Desert in Morocco last month. The featured image is a combination of three background and one foreground exposure -- all taken with the same camera and from the same location and on the same calendar day -- with the foreground image taken during the evening blue hour. M110, a satellite galaxy of Andromenda is visible just above and to the left of M31's core. As cool as it may be to see this neighboring galaxy to our Milky Way with your own eyes, long duration camera exposures can pick up many faint and breathtaking details. Recent data indicates that our Milky Way Galaxy will collide and combine with the similarly-sized Andromeda galaxy in a few billion years.

The photo was featured as the Astronomy Picture of the Day on the NASA website. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap220711.html
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.