The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: THIS and That.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:12 am
Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 am
2022 July 11 - Andromeda over the Sahara Desert.

You know that that's photoshopped, right? The Andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye as just another star.
I think "composed" might be a better term than photoshopped. For those posting copyrighted images, please include the source of the photo, including identification of the owner. In this case, the relevant information is:

Andromeda over the Sahara Desert

Credit & Copyright: Jordi Coy

Explanation: What is the oldest thing you can see? At 2.5 million light years distant, the answer for the unaided eye is the Andromeda galaxy, because its photons are 2.5 million years old when they reach you. Most other apparent denizens of the night sky -- stars, clusters, and nebulae -- appear as they were only a few hundred to a few thousand years ago, as they lie well within our own Milky Way Galaxy. Given its distance, light from Andromeda is likely also the farthest object that you can see. Also known as M31, the Andromeda Galaxy dominates the center of the featured zoomed image, taken from the Sahara Desert in Morocco last month. The featured image is a combination of three background and one foreground exposure -- all taken with the same camera and from the same location and on the same calendar day -- with the foreground image taken during the evening blue hour. M110, a satellite galaxy of Andromenda is visible just above and to the left of M31's core. As cool as it may be to see this neighboring galaxy to our Milky Way with your own eyes, long duration camera exposures can pick up many faint and breathtaking details. Recent data indicates that our Milky Way Galaxy will collide and combine with the similarly-sized Andromeda galaxy in a few billion years.

The photo was featured as the Astronomy Picture of the Day on the NASA website. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap220711.html
he/him
"Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see."
– Rene Magritte
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: THIS and That

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

1. Speech is aggression.
2. Every utterance has a winner or a loser.
3. Curiosity is feigned.
4. Lying is performative.
5. Stupidity is power.
Elizabeth
Stake President

THIS and That.

Post by Elizabeth »

Moses 8: 17 And the Lord said unto Noah: My Spirit shall not always strive with man,

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ng=eng#p16

Moses 8: 22

And God saw that the wickedness of men had become great in the earth; and man was lifted up in the imagination of the thoughts of his heart, being only evil continually.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:21 pm
In my youth I had period of fascination with astronomy. I learned about the visible night sky and am familiar with looking at the Andromeda gaIaxy with the naked eye. It is a hazy patch definitely larger than a star but quite a bit smaller than the moon. This observation would not change the view that the photo combines a telescope's time exposure image with a landform image.

I don’t think that I had ever seen Andomeda, knowingly, until pointed out by a friend while on a camping trip in a remote area of Idaho last year. As you say, it’s definitely noticeable with the unaided eye as a hazy patch, if you’re far enough away from urban light pollution. With a pair of binoculars, the view resolves well enough to be obvious what you’re looking at. It’s quite a sight, to be peering into our galactic neighbor.

The view is just going to get better, too. I understand that we’re due to collide with Andromeda in just a few billion years. : )
Elizabeth
Stake President

THIS and That.

Post by Elizabeth »

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

1. Speech is aggression.
2. Every utterance has a winner or a loser.
3. Curiosity is feigned.
4. Lying is performative.
5. Stupidity is power.
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

Why not open your own thread and post your family photos there?
Are you incapable of opening a thread?
Sadly, it seems this is an antifa communist site, I was not aware of this when I opened my account.
You will be pleased to know I will not post here again.
Marcus
God

Re: .......

Post by Marcus »

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:03 pm
Are you incapable of opening a thread?
Sadly, it seems this is an antifa communist site, I was not aware of this when I opened my account.
You will be pleased to know I will not post here again.
someone is disappointed.... why does this seem very familiar? : D
Gadianton
God

Re: .........

Post by Gadianton »

Not true at all, that's exactly why you opened an account here.
This isn't Twitter or instagram, this is a discussion board. The rules are pretty open, and so if you want to treat it as an instagram or Twitter account you can, but you can't force everyone else to treat your threads as your own private platform.
Binger
God

Re: .........

Post by Binger »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:11 am
Not true at all, that's exactly why you opened an account here.
This isn't Twitter or instagram, this is a discussion board. The rules are pretty open, and so if you want to treat it as an instagram or Twitter account you can, but you can't force everyone else to treat your threads as your own private platform.
OMG, OMG, OMG.

This is really damn funny and not off topic at all.