The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Moved: THISandThat

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:09 pm

Yes, we move commercial spam. What about Elizabeth's post makes you think it is being posted on thousands of other websites?
Not being a mind reader nor seeing it as reasonable to see if it is being spread around the Internet elsewhere I choose the principle of form following function. Look like spam? Treat like spam.
It doesn't look like Spam. Nothing in the thread indicates that anything is being sold.

As my computer is close to replacement age, I clicked on the link. The links are to audio tracks of someone reading Mein Kampf. The website is a neo-nazi, white supremacist website, which has as a motto "No Jews. Just Right."
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:14 pm
There are many versions of Mein Kampf available.
Unfortunately some have been incorrectly translated, many times deliberately so.
The content in these links is excellent, in that the reader speaks well, has an easy voice to listen to, and has intelligently researched the subject. :)
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:11 pm
Elizabeth, Universal Rule 10 states:

Please explain why it's important to link Mein Kampf in the thread and what you hope other readers will learn from reading the text at your links.

Thanks.
Your additional information does not comply with the rules. Why do you think it's important for people on this site to listen to Mein Kampf as hosted on a white supremacist hate site? What do you hope people will get out of listening to Mein Kampf?
he/him

High Spy
Regional Representative

Post by High Spy »

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:14 pm
There are many versions of Mein Kampf available.
Unfortunately some have been incorrectly translated, many times deliberately so.
The content in these links is excellent, in that the reader speaks well, has an easy voice to listen to, and has intelligently researched the subject. :)
Mein Kampf is one of the books Glenn Beck said that he had read, when I watched the filming of An Unlikely Mormon.

Is there any redeeming quality?
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:20 pm
It doesn't look like Spam.

As my computer is close to replacement age, I clicked on the link.
Here's my deal which isn't a free speech issue so much as protecting people who use the board. You have a super high level, "safe" forum on a board? Walls of links to unidentifiable sites should not be in that forum. That is just bad board hygiene and internet risk management.

You have a forum that is clearly a place specifically for walls of unidentifiable links and identified risk located where someone who doesn't care if they get computer VD knows the risk of clicking on something and chooses to do so? Put walls of unidentifiable links in that location.

I say that because it was my reaction to the original post. I didn't react to the claim it was linked to Mein Kampf because speech is something valued and protected here, even garbage speech like Hitler's writings. It is what it is. But when I saw the post I went right on by and wondered what kind of sucker would click on one of those links. Maybe Shades pays mods better than I assume but I'd think moving walls of unidentifiable links is the right option over mods having to check if the links are safe.

If I were a tech admin like Gad, I'd probably just delete the post and anyone who complained would be invited to take it up with management. And if management took issue I'd ask for them to buy me a quarantine computer and pay hourly for my time keeping the board protected from risky board posting behavior if they didn't want me to delete risky looking posts.

A link isn't speech. It's an invitation to open an otherwise closed door.
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

:) The links are safe.
I have listened to each one.
The original Mein Kampf as written by Adolf Hitler is of historic note, well written and very interesting and informative.
It is well to remember that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was well established in Germany, and continued as usual throughout World War 11, with many members also in the military.
It was Britain who declared war.
Also no one is being forced to click on any link.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon May 02, 2022 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 pm
Oh, ok then. Let me get my credit card out.
Britain dropped bombs on Poland on September 1, 1939?

Oh wait. I think I see the connection here. The links are safe, wink wink. Germany didn't declare war when they started dropping bombs on Poland, wink wink.

Ah.
Last edited by honorentheos on Mon May 02, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 pm
I have listened to each one.
The original Mein Kampf as written by Adolf Hitler is of historic note, well written and very interesting and informative.
It is well to remember that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was well established in Germany, and continued as usual throughout World War 11, with many members also in the military.
Do you think the fact that the church collaborated with the Nazi government reflects well on the church?
he/him

Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

Poland was a part of Germany, inhabited by Germans and illegally taken from Germany in World War 1.. which was a disgrace to mankind.
World War 11 was declared and begun by Britain, shamefully bringing in her Commonwealth into what was none of their business and causing countless unneeded suffering and destruction.
As a war widow myself I well know the depravities of war.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Explains the pro-Putin posts and wall of sketchy links.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

If the links open onto a white supremacist website they aren't safe for work. I don't think it could be any more clear that the post in question should be moved.

It's not about speech. It's about having a coherent board organization with consistent guidelines as to what to expect in a given forum. Internet risk management makes this a no brainer. There's a place on the board for sketchy walls of links. A mod (recklessly) testing one found it went to a white supremacy website. It isn't a case of speech being infringed to move it to the appropriate forum.