State of the Pandemic

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: State of the Pandemic

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:06 pm
Binger wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:55 pm
The worst outcome is a vaccine that only targets the non-lethal variants and lets the worst variants leak on through and mutate away. Even worse worst if the vaccine makes transmission more likely, not less.

Turns out that the worst outcome would have been no vaccine, given that having one allowed for some folks to escape infections, more serious infections, or death.

It also turns out that a virus will mutate anyway, regardless of if there’s a vaccine present or not. And it turns out that some coronavirus variations did indeed appear before vaccine rollouts.
The Alpha and Beta variants were designated as VOC by the World Health Organization (WHO) on Dec. 18, 2020. Meanwhile, the Gamma variant, which was first detected in Brazil, was listed as a VOC on Jan. 11, 2021.

The Delta variant, which was first detected in India, was designated a VOC in April 2021 (here). However, it was not caused by mass rollouts of vaccines, which began largely from the start of 2021.

The vaccines have also not caused the virus itself to mutate.

“Virus mutations arise when the virus is replicating in a cell. None of the available vaccines contain live virus, so they cannot directly be the source of a viral variant,” Grier said.

“For the most part, the coronavirus vaccines reduce the risk of getting infected, and with fewer infections, there is less replicating virus so the chance of producing new variants decreases as well,” she added.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factche ... SL1N2OZ1PU
The worst outcome might be hysterical folks on the Internet shouting about ‘leakiness’ as a cause for something, when it isn’t.
Yeah nah. More drama but no bite.

Hysterics on the internet is harmless. We would all take that over a virus that can't be stopped by a vaccine.

Did you just link to a so-called fact checker, panny? I need some air. I am laughing hysterically.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

canpakes wrote:
The worst outcome might be hysterical folks on the Internet shouting about ‘leakiness’ as a cause for something, when it isn’t.
The darkhorse podcast boils my blood every time I hear them spout that crap.

"Well the vaccines *could* be leaky." "The vaccines *could* be dangerous." "The vaccines *could* cause alpha males to turn into beta males" (they're evolutionary biologists and super into all that crap)

"We're just asking the question! Why are we getting so much hate??" :roll: :roll: :roll:
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:48 pm
canpakes wrote:

"Well the vaccines *could* be leaky." "The vaccines *could* be dangerous." "The vaccines *could* cause alpha males to turn into beta males" (they're evolutionary biologists and super into all that crap)

"We're just asking the question! Why are we getting so much hate??" :roll: :roll: :roll:
Does it also boil your blood that the vaccines wane in efficacy and that people who get the vaccine are likely to be infected by the new variants? :roll: :roll: :roll:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Binger wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:50 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:48 pm

Does it also boil your blood that the vaccines wane in efficacy and that people who get the vaccine are likely to be infected by the new variants? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Why would it? Do you skip your adult booster vaccines because they wane in efficacy?

Everyone is likely to be infected by the new variants. That's why they're researching new vaccines based of the mRNA of the new variants.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:06 am
Binger wrote:

Why would it? Do you skip your adult booster vaccines because they wane in efficacy?

Everyone is likely to be infected by the new variants. That's why they're researching new vaccines based of the mRNA of the new variants.
These are good questions. It is fine to ask questions, including good ones and including bad ones.
They are not just researching new vaccines, they are also researching the main effects and side effects of these vaccines. That leads to a lot of questions that, when asked, should not boil our blood.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

drumdude wrote:
Binger wrote:

Apparently, Binger’s blood also boils at the scientists who produce annual flu shot formulations, given their imperfections and waning efficacy.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:33 am
drumdude wrote:

Apparently, Binger’s blood also boils at the scientists who produce annual flu shot formulations, given their imperfections and waning efficacy.
I did not say my blood boils and I did not say anything about the flu. I did respond to drumdude though.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

New systematic review of studies on the effectiveness of masks. (Preprint) https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:28 am
New systematic review of studies on the effectiveness of masks. (Preprint) https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf
From the abstract:
Based on these results, we determined that across healthcare and community settings, those who wore masks were less likely to contact COVID-19. Future investigations are warranted as more information becomes available.
Well, damn. Even with that typo in there, it would appear that masks were helping in a measurable way, be it by keeping folks from contracting or ‘contacting’ COVID. : D

Cue a random board member to show up in a moment to announce anyway that ‘masks don’t work’.