State of the Pandemic

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Re: State of the Pandemic

Post by Hawkeye »

But that 99.97% figure is likely nonsense because FOX can't tell the whole truth about anything to save their own lives.
Candace Owens said COVID had a 99.96% survival rate for people under 70. She was wrong. It was actually higher, at 99.97%.

How many people didn't eventually get infected with COVID?
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:52 pm
But that 99.97% figure is likely nonsense because FOX can't tell the whole truth about anything to save their own lives.
Candace Owens said COVID had a 99.96% survival rate for people under 70. She was wrong. It was actually higher, at 99.97%.

The response mounted against COVID wasn’t done to eliminate any and all possibility of death from the virus. Rather, the response was intended to blunt the possibility of hospitals becoming overrun with patients.

Maybe someday Candace will figure out the difference.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Your reflexive use of the label "virtue signaling" to dismiss things you don't like is actual virtue signaling. You keep claiming that "masks did not work" without even defining what "masks working" means and why a reasonable person should accept your position. The same with "vaccines aren't working."

From the beginning, COVID patients were kept in negative pressure environments in hospitals, which makes your claims of anti-science complete nonsense.

This is just more of the same black and white thinking nonsense that you've tried to bury us in for months. I understand you have expertise in ventilation and air flow, but you're being the perfect example of the guy with the hammer treating everything as a nail. Simply parroting the phrase "airborne infection" vastly oversimplifies the ways that the virus can be and is transmitted.

[Christopher Walken Voice]You seem upset, Res.

My use of the highlighted phrase was not reflexive, unless you are making the point that it was used to get a reaction. It was meant to make a point that some displays of compliance to a suggested response to COVID or the pandemic response were signals of what political leaders one endorsed or liked and not at all really thought out or practical or normal. Like not going outside without a mask, LOL! Like wearing a cowbell if you are not actually a Swiss cow.

The thing you made up about the rooms is not true but I like it. Not all COVID patients are in negative pressure environments and it is still not universally true. What about a COVID positive patient delivering a baby? What about a COVID positive patient with cancer? What about a COVID positive mother with a bay in NICU?

This is not black and white thinking, but if you need to think that, please, continue. Continue to rationalize your black and white thinking and your blaming of political divisiveness on anything other than your divisiveness. [/Christopher Walken Voice]
Reminder: I have told you that when I make a generalized statement, I fully recognize that there are exceptions. I followed my local news early in the pandemic as our local hospitals shuffled patient loads so that COVID patients were housed ok in negative pressure rooms. When possible, local hospitals created additional negative pressure rooms. What’s silly is your claim that the effects of ventilation on the spread of a respiratory virus were ignored. They weren’t. But the obvious problems with retrofitting schools and office buildings and restaurants and other crowded indoor spaces as hospitals are being overrun with COVID are obvious.

Sure buildings have ventilation standards. But what is required in a given building to reduce COVID transmission by 50% or 80% or 90%? Show me the research, the math, and the cost. Then figure out how to pay for it.

Given the circumstances at the time, reducing the density of people in buildings was feasible. Hopefully, we can dredge up the political will to make intrastate changes that will help us out with what has become chronic, year round disease.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:49 pm
It wasn't the government that made Olive Garden do this, it was a decision made my a privately owned corporation and that trend caught on in corporate America because demand had plummeted.
Yes, yes, and draconian scamdemic curfews and restaurant closures had nothing to do with decrease demand at Olive Garden. Good grief, do you even read your own posts?
No, they didn't. There were no "curfews" here. Good God you actually believe this nonsense? You live in a bubble and have no idea what you're talking about. I live in the middle of downtown where there are a half dozen restaurants within walking distance. Mainstreet is typically full every day of the year with people walking to and from shops and restaurants. Most of those places remained "opened" in March 2020, but the town was basically a ghost town. Why? Because demand dropped through the floor. Your problem is that you're so used to being lied to by the people who tell you things you want to hear but you have no familiarity with the US economy. You folks on the Right who keep indoctrinating yourselves with these talking points keep missing the fact that the vast majority of the world doesn't think like you. Did you really think the annual flood of tourism Florida enjoyed every year from Canada, the UK and South America wasn't going to drop during a pandemic?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:52 pm

How many people didn't get infected? Not nearly as many who would have had we not practiced social distancing and masking. Candace Owens has no more credibility than a toothpick, but she says things you like to hear so you just run with it. At the end of the day we're still talking about more than a million dead Americans, and you're focusing on the ones who didn't die?

Remember when Fauci was accused of exaggerating? The actual number is more than five times that already.
fauci.jpg
fauci.jpg (137.25 KiB) Viewed 311 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:04 pm
What’s silly is your claim that the effects of ventilation on the spread of a respiratory virus were ignored. They weren’t. But the obvious problems with retrofitting schools and office buildings and restaurants and other crowded indoor spaces as hospitals are being overrun with COVID are obvious.
I gave a specific example. Dining in a tent, for example, was stupid and ignored all the basic parameters for air balancing and infection control. The same can be said about using tents for triage, registration, etc. The policies and practices of using tents without air handlers rather than buildings with air handlers was egregious and nothing but virtue signaling and inconvenient. It has nothing to do with retrofitting, but nice straw man. You crushed him.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:04 pm
Sure buildings have ventilation standards. But what is required in a given building to reduce COVID transmission by 50% or 80% or 90%? Show me the research, the math, and the cost. Then figure out how to pay for it.

Given the circumstances at the time, reducing the density of people in buildings was feasible. Hopefully, we can dredge up the political will to make intrastate changes that will help us out with what has become chronic, year round disease.
Look, another straw man from Res. Reducing COVID transmission by 90%, eh? The solution for that is obvious, shut down the country until all the people have OD'd on fentanyl and whiskey.

Alternative to your suggestion, consider dredging up the political will to tell the ding dongs that came up with tents and cloth masks and vaccines that don't work to pound sand. That could help us out too.

There are practical ways to proceed, and managing buildings by executive order and social justice warrioring from the CDC is not a practical way. And telling the social justice warriors to stick to CHAZ and CHOP and burning down Minneapolis and Portland while the rest of us figure out how to keep the air conditioning on and the fumehoods working is also practical. That would be cooperative both intrastate and interstate.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:17 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Yes, yes, and draconian scamdemic curfews and restaurant closures had nothing to do with decrease demand at Olive Garden. Good grief, do you even read your own posts?
No, they didn't. There were no "curfews" here. Good God you actually believe this nonsense? You live in a bubble and have no idea what you're talking about. I live in the middle of downtown where there are a half dozen restaurants within walking distance. Mainstreet is typically full every day of the year with people walking to and from shops and restaurants. Most of those places remained "opened" in March 2020, but the town was basically a ghost town. Why? Because demand dropped through the floor. Your problem is that you're so used to being lied to by the people who tell you things you want to hear but you have no familiarity with the US economy. You folks on the Right who keep indoctrinating yourselves with these talking points keep missing the fact that the vast majority of the world doesn't think like you. Did you really think the annual flood of tourism Florida enjoyed every year from Canada, the UK and South America wasn't going to drop during a pandemic?
Maybe it was more optional in red states but it certainly wasn't that way in New York City or California. Even Texas put a Beautician in jail for going to work. All this hysteria and fear you bred, was due to a virus that had a 99.97% survival rate for people under 70. The current economy is due to your policies from your votes and your ideology. Own it.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:48 pm
Strangely enough they were both saying masks don’t work.
This is not true, and I've asked you to back this up but you continue to ignore. Refusing to mandate mask wearing when the pandemic was in its infancy, isn't synonymous with saying "masks don't work."
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:03 pm
The response mounted against COVID wasn’t done to eliminate any and all possibility of death from the virus. Rather, the response was intended to blunt the possibility of hospitals becoming overrun with patients.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh. Got it. Would have been easier then to just have people take a number and take turns going to the hospital if they were still alive.

"Not trying to keep people alive folks, that is not our intention, just trying to keep the hospitals at minimum occupancy. Thanks folks. Please take a number. Thank you folks."
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:23 pm
Maybe it was more optional in red states but it certainly wasn't that way in New York City or California.
And here come the usual pivot in order to dodge the point. The point is demand for things that involved going places where there were crowds, had dropped through the floor. Amazon sales skyrocketed because people weren't going to the store. 3% of grocery sales were online prior to the pandemic and that surged to 15%.

Is it because the grocery stores closed? No, because none of them did. This fact in and of itself refutes the right wing talking point you've been throwing at us for the past two years.
The current economy is due to your policies from your votes and your ideology. Own it.
So Democrats get to claim credit for things done while Republicans are in charge? Do you even listen to yourself? You're so programmed to throw out these bogus talking points from your usual fake news sites that you don't even flinch when you're obviously contradicting yourself.

Biden is now responsible for global supply chains that shut down a full year before he got elected!

Never mind oil production dropping through the floor because Trump begged Saudi Arabia to turn off the pumps.