FM

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

FM

Post by bill4long »

Who loves/hates/anything-in-between... this piece of studio production...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV3zWSawJiw
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: FM

Post by Res Ipsa »

I really enjoy Steely Dan, and this is one of my favorites. It has some nice changes and the sax solo is very nice. In fact, I think it will be Steely Dan day for me at work.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:39 pm
I really enjoy Steely Dan, and this is one of my favorites. It has some nice changes and the sax solo is very nice. In fact, I think it will be Steely Dan day for me at work.
I saw Steely Dan a couple years ago.

Worst. Concert. Ever.

The people were fun. I love the music. The concert was a laughing comedy of mediocrity. Steely Dan was a studio band for a reason.

When I was at BYU my neighbors would play general conference on their speakers so goddamn loud that the whole complex could literally feel the spirit. It was obnoxious as hell. So I put a Steely Dan CD in my stereo. Laid the speakers face down on the floor (I was directly above them) put the CD on repeat, and left for the day. They got the message, and they got an appreciation for Steely Dan.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Worst. Concert. Ever.

The people were fun. I love the music. The concert was a laughing comedy of mediocrity. Steely Dan was a studio band for a reason.

When I was at BYU my neighbors would play general conference on their speakers so goddamn loud that the whole complex could literally feel the spirit. It was obnoxious as hell. So I put a Steely Dan CD in my stereo. Laid the speakers face down on the floor (I was directly above them) put the CD on repeat, and left for the day. They got the message, and they got an appreciation for Steely Dan.
I’d heard similar reactions to their live concerts. Studio band is their wheelhouse, and they’ve made some great tunes in my opinion.

I do love the Steely Dan retaliation, although I might have gone with Earth, Wind, and Fire. 😂
he/him

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Yep, good tune. I've been a fan since Hey Nineteen.
RI wrote:...although I might have gone with Earth, Wind, and Fire.
Hey man, you need to hang in Boogie Wonderland for a while.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:31 pm
Yep, good tune. I've been a fan since Hey Nineteen.
RI wrote:...although I might have gone with Earth, Wind, and Fire.
Hey man, you need to hang in Boogie Wonderland for a while.
Don’t get me wrong — I’ma fan. I just think it might be more effective.
he/him

Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:14 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:44 pm

Worst. Concert. Ever.

I’d heard similar reactions to their live concerts. Studio band is their wheelhouse, and they’ve made some great tunes in my opinion.

I do love the Steely Dan retaliation, although I might have gone with Earth, Wind, and Fire. 😂
Sometimes I like to blast metal in such situations, but I find really noisy industrial works too. Everyone knows what metal is, but I'm sure they've never heard anything like this:

https://youtu.be/AEDgnYuZkRg

I listen to a wide variety of music. Classical (I love playing Bach's Lute Suites on my guitar), jazz, blues, all kinds of rock, and whatever else sounds good to me. Still, industrial has a special place in my heart.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Father Francis wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:28 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:14 pm

Sometimes I like to blast metal in such situations, but I find really noisy industrial works too. Everyone knows what metal is, but I'm sure they've never heard anything like this:

https://youtu.be/AEDgnYuZkRg

I listen to a wide variety of music. Classical (I love playing Bach's Lute Suites on my guitar), jazz, blues, all kinds of rock, and whatever else sounds good to me. Still, industrial has a special place in my heart.
Lol! As I was going to click the link, I thought, "It's probably going to be Skinny Puppy." Ha!

Tangent to the OP, Skinny Puppy was a band I discovered through a friend in high school who bought their album Too Dark Park just because the name of the band made us laugh. It was our way of finding new music because the area of Utah we lived in didn't have a great alternative means for discovering new music that wasn't mainstream. Buying an album with no idea what we were in for was fun, and really not terrible more expensive than the cost of two people going to a movie,

Anyway, hell yeah Skinny Puppy! Ha!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:35 pm
Lol! As I was going to click the link, I thought, "It's probably going to be Skinny Puppy." Ha!

Tangent to the opening post, Skinny Puppy was a band I discovered through a friend in high school who bought their album Too Dark Park just because the name of the band made us laugh. It was our way of finding new music because the area of Utah we lived in didn't have a great alternative means for discovering new music that wasn't mainstream. Buying an album with no idea what we were in for was fun, and really not terrible more expensive than the cost of two people going to a movie,

I remember the joy of going to Graywhale and buying random albums as a teenager. I found a lot of good music that way and a few duds as well.

Skinny Puppy is very important to me for a few reasons. One is that even as a young child I was attracted to strange music. The Doors and the Beatles were my two favorite bands when I was in elementary school. I know the Beatles are one of the biggest things to happen in modern music, but they were also pretty weird. Just give a listen to Revolution 9 (sampled by Skinny Puppy on Last rights) or the end of I am the Walrus. Experimental music that influenced all sorts of underground stuff.

The other reason is that the first time I heard industrial was when my sister introduced me to one of their side projects. It was the Tear Garden. The song was You and Me and the Rainbows. The vocalist from Skinny Puppy (Ogre) did a kind of cameo on it and one of the main song writers (cEvin Key) was involved. It was always an important song to her. She died at a young age (asthma attack at the age of 23) and I found the lyrics to the song in one of her last diary entries after she passed. I've had the pleasure of meeting cEvin and Edward (the main vocalist of the Tear Garden and the Legendary Pink Dots), but have yet to meet Ogre. Nowadays I have a friend that does promotions for those kind of shows, so if they ever tour again I might get a chance to meet him and tell him my story.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Father Francis wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:14 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:35 pm

Tangent to the opening post, Skinny Puppy was a band I discovered through a friend in high school who bought their album Too Dark Park just because the name of the band made us laugh. It was our way of finding new music because the area of Utah we lived in didn't have a great alternative means for discovering new music that wasn't mainstream. Buying an album with no idea what we were in for was fun, and really not terrible more expensive than the cost of two people going to a movie,

I remember the joy of going to Graywhale and buying random albums as a teenager. I found a lot of good music that way and a few duds as well.

Skinny Puppy is very important to me for a few reasons. One is that even as a young child I was attracted to strange music. The Doors and the Beatles were my two favorite bands when I was in elementary school. I know the Beatles are one of the biggest things to happen in modern music, but they were also pretty weird. Just give a listen to Revolution 9 (sampled by Skinny Puppy on Last rights) or the end of I am the Walrus. Experimental music that influenced all sorts of underground stuff.

The other reason is that the first time I heard industrial was when my sister introduced me to one of their side projects. It was the Tear Garden. The song was You and Me and the Rainbows. The vocalist from Skinny Puppy (Ogre) did a kind of cameo on it and one of the main song writers (cEvin Key) was involved. It was always an important song to her. She died at a young age (asthma attack at the age of 23) and I found the lyrics to the song in one of her last diary entries after she passed. I've had the pleasure of meeting cEvin and Edward (the main vocalist of the Tear Garden and the Legendary Pink Dots), but have yet to meet Ogre. Nowadays I have a friend that does promotions for those kind of shows, so if they ever tour again I might get a chance to meet him and tell him my story
That's powerful. I feel at a loss for words but really appreciate your having shared it.