FM

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: FM

Post by Res Ipsa »

Metal and its variations are a genre of music I've not been able to get into. I can't explain why. But I love reading stories about how music has affected people's lives, and metal is no exception. Skinny Puppy is one of the bands that I've head lots of these kinds of stories about.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Re: FM

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:53 pm
Metal and its variations are a genre of music I've not been able to get into. I can't explain why. But I love reading stories about how music has affected people's lives, and metal is no exception. Skinny Puppy is one of the bands that I've head lots of these kinds of stories about.
I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I think of Nine Inch Nails as the band that mainstreamed industrial music. Or at least opened the door. Industrial had an even more outsider status than metal, and "Pretty Hate Machine" only seemed to slightly make inroads when it came out around 1990. It seemed to me that more people who listened to the glam rock bands/pre-grunge rock at the time were more likely to give metal a listen than any other outsider genre, and bands like Metallica were on regular rotation on MTv. Their song "One" was easily their most approachable song prior to the Black album, whereas punk and industrial were still music you wouldn't hear outside of a skate park or basement. Shows were word of mouth advertising for me. Thrash...I'm not sure. That was about the time I discovered Suicidal Tendencies which was my gateway into that genre of music, which oddly made funk more cool, too. Very convoluted. But my friends who also got into thrash metal tended to be the ones who also liked industrial. And those who leaned more traditional in their rock preferences hated both.

Anyway, I think of Skinny Puppy as a band that tells you some meaningful things about a person just by knowing they listened to them.