Visited Another Church Today

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
latterdaytemplar
Sunbeam

Visited Another Church Today

Post by latterdaytemplar »

Today my wife and I visited a non-denominational Christian church. My wife and I enjoyed the music and the prayer (the sermon wasn't bad), and she may be going to one of their "ladies' hot chocolate nights" later this month.

I feel that, by having shared that experience with a good friend who attends there regularly, my friendship with him strengthened as a result, so that was a good bonus.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience here. I hope that you're all doing well.
"… Behold, we will end the conflict."
—Captain Moroni (Alma 44:10)

Whatever conflicts that you come across in life, they can be beaten. Adopt Captain Moroni's attitude: be of the disposition to end the conflict, and then act on that disposition.
Moksha
God

Re: Visited Another Church Today

Post by Moksha »

One thing that seems uniform in other churches is more interesting sermons. Many are inspiring.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

latterdaytemplar wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:41 am
Today my wife and I visited a non-denominational Christian church. My wife and I enjoyed the music and the prayer (the sermon wasn't bad), and she may be going to one of their "ladies' hot chocolate nights" later this month.

I feel that, by having shared that experience with a good friend who attends there regularly, my friendship with him strengthened as a result, so that was a good bonus.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience here. I hope that you're all doing well.
Sounds like a nice church family. Glad you got to visit and further forge your friendship.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Last Sunday at our church service we had a little boy in the congregation commenting aloud in response to what the pastor said. It was like a responsive service.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
latterdaytemplar
Sunbeam

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:30 am
One thing that seems uniform in other churches is more interesting sermons. Many are inspiring.
I will say that the sermon was interesting. There was a small handful of things that were said that I agree with; there were a few things that I don't agree with.

Overall, however, the service was quite lively. And, although the music was a bit loud for my taste (to the point that I could feel the bass reverberating in my chest), I did enjoy both the genre and the lyrics.

Things that I was not accustomed to that I saw:
  • Projection screens showing a) the band and lyrics or b) the pastor and scriptural quotes/references
  • A band, complete with drums, guitars, and keyboard
  • Smoke machine, strobe lights
  • Guest services desk
  • Coffee and hot chocolate bar

Whatever conflicts that you come across in life, they can be beaten. Adopt Captain Moroni's attitude: be of the disposition to end the conflict, and then act on that disposition.
latterdaytemplar
Sunbeam

msnobody wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:08 am
Sounds like a nice church family. Glad you got to visit and further forge your friendship.
From what I saw, I think that they do have a nice church family. I think that local units of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints could take a couple of leaves from the book of this other Church.

latterdaytemplar
Sunbeam

msnobody wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:51 pm
Last Sunday at our church service we had a little boy in the congregation commenting aloud in response to what the pastor said. It was like a responsive service.
I've always been interested in attending a call-and-response service. I hope that the kid was at least entertaining for you.

For some reason, this reminds me of a childhood memory. My cousin (who was about 4 years old at the time) once yelled during the Sacrament portion of the meeting: "Water!? Again!?!? Why can't we have Dr. Pepper?!?"

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

latterdaytemplar wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 pm
Things that I was not accustomed to that I saw:
  • Projection screens showing a) the band and lyrics or b) the pastor and scriptural quotes/references
  • A band, complete with drums, guitars, and keyboard
  • Smoke machine, strobe lights
  • Guest services desk
  • Coffee and hot chocolate bar
Years ago I went out every Sunday with friends to visit new Churches and faith traditions, then proceeded to brunch. This was apparently before rock bands crept into services. I would not enjoy that aspect. What I loved were the superior sermons which served as an inspiration for the entire week. I also enjoyed the universal get-togethers afterward that ranged from simple punch, coffee, and cookies at many services, to the wine and cheese offering at the local Unitarian Church (a generous benefactor no doubt). I skipped the early morning wine and stayed with the more traditional coffee (which would consign me to the Mormon Telestial Kingdom for drinking an infusion from plant seeds that grew in the demilitarized zone during the Heaven War).
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

latterdaytemplar wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 pm
msnobody wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:51 pm
I've always been interested in attending a call-and-response service. I hope that the kid was at least entertaining for you.

For some reason, this reminds me of a childhood memory. My cousin (who was about 4 years old at the time) once yelled during the Sacrament portion of the meeting: "Water!? Again!?!? Why can't we have Dr. Pepper?!?"
This kid was pretty spot on in his theology.

I’m with your cousin, can I have some DP?