In and of Itself

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

In and of Itself

Post by Res Ipsa »

In a weird bit of synchronicity, I’ve spent several hours reading the board and watching Derek DelGuardio’s In and of Itself on Hulu. It’s magic wrapped in a story about us.

I highly recommend it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: In and of Itself

Post by High Spy »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:27 am
In a weird bit of synchronicity … It’s magic wrapped in a story about us.
Maybe an earthquake of magnitude 5.7 magically landed Moroni’s Instrument on March 18, as some sort maniacal or magnificent manifestation, wherein an observed timing pattern spelled Crist. Magically or miraculously Crist is a unique spelling, that makes for easy searching.

God thinks of everything. 8-)
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

High Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:45 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:27 am
In a weird bit of synchronicity … It’s magic wrapped in a story about us.
Maybe an earthquake of magnitude 5.7 magically landed Moroni’s Instrument on March 18, as some sort maniacal or magnificent manifestation, wherein an observed timing pattern spelled Crist. Magically or miraculously Crist is a unique spelling, that makes for easy searching.

High Spy, it seems you have developed a system where you take an event with some interest like this earthquake and subject it to condensing investigation. As you investigate you squeeze it down until something odd happens. There are results, a final product of complete triviality where all value and interest has been squeezed out and lost.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:35 am
. . . As you investigate you squeeze it down until something odd happens. There are results, a final product of complete triviality where all value and interest has been squeezed out and lost. . .
:lol: that is without a doubt the best explanation i have ever read for what it means to look for and find coincidences in something.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

What I find pleasurable about synchronicity is that it requires no effort at all. I don’t have to some equations, calculate odds, invent spellings, invent ad hoc rules, or hunt for patterns. It’s simply a flash of insight from one part on my life that illuminates something in an unrelated part. Think enough thoughts, do enough things, interact with enough people and the law of large numbers simply makes it happen from time to time. It’s one of the neat things about being a sentient bit of carbon. No god, great spirit, or spooky action at a distance required. 😉
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

After making a few starts, I could not find a way to describe In and Of Itself without completely spoiling it, so I looked for a review to post. I think this one does a pretty good job. https://www.npr.org/2021/01/22/95930511 ... -and-magic (Although I would highly recommend that anyone who want to watch it do so without reading anything about it.)

Had I seen a performance of this show live, I would have been convinced that no video adaptation could ever communicate what went on during the performance. I'm impressed that Frank Oz and DelGuardio were able to pull it off. I rarely get excited about anything on TV, but I suggested to my wife and youngest kids that we watch it together the night after I first watched it. It was a big hit.
he/him

High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

huckelberry wrote:
High Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:45 am

High Spy, it seems you have developed a system where you take an event with some interest like this earthquake and subject it to condensing investigation. As you investigate you squeeze it down until something odd happens. There are results, a final product of complete triviality where all value and interest has been squeezed out and lost.
The parables spoken by Jesus were understood by very few, and the song remains the same as it ever was.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

High Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:10 am
huckelberry wrote:
The parables spoken by Jesus were understood by very few, and the song remains the same as it ever was.
High Spy? The parables of Jesus have been of great interest to millions of people. Is there some secret meaning missed by millions?
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:56 pm
High Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:10 am
High Spy? The parables of Jesus have been of great interest to millions of people. Is there some secret meaning missed by millions?
Yes, the seventh seal opened in 2010 as confirmed by the Davidic Servant.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

High Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:29 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:56 pm

Yes, the seventh seal opened in 2010 as confirmed by the Davidic Servant.
Spy, to say anything I suppose one must ask what is a Davidic Servant and why should anybody care what that has to do with the seventh seal.