malkie has GREAT buns - official

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Marcus
God

Re: malkie has GREAT buns - official

Post by Marcus »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:39 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:02 am
Have you been drinking?
No, this is serious stuff.
Popular old marching song in many Highland regiments around the world wrote:Heuch! Glenwhorple Hielan'men!
Great strong whusky-suppin' Hielan'men,
Hard-workin', hairy-leggit Hielan'men,
Slainte mhor Glenwhorple.
Knees, buns, hair: women worry about these issues in many countries but the Scots are fussy about leg-related anatomy in men as well. It might be from kilts, but it evidently extends at least as far into the Lowlands as Glasgow.
And apparently the Scotsman fussiness about leg-related anatomy extends up as well.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

malkie wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:16 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:02 am
Have you been drinking?
I don't drink alcohol, or use "drugs".

This is not the malkie you're used to - either here or in another place, right? But that's no reason for you to suggest that I'm not in full control of my faculties.

If there is sufficient demand, I'll supply photographic evidence.
Don't let Shades get under your skin. He's an absentee father who only shows up once in a while to neg his kids and demonstrate how out of touch an adult can be.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

People knock academic prose for being obscure, but I submit that sometimes expressions like "fussiness about leg-related anatomy" are worth using.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Totally agree.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:10 pm
Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:39 pm

No, this is serious stuff.

Knees, buns, hair: women worry about these issues in many countries but the Scots are fussy about leg-related anatomy in men as well. It might be from kilts, but it evidently extends at least as far into the Lowlands as Glasgow.
And apparently the Scotsman fussiness about leg-related anatomy extends up as well.
Thanks, Marcus - I absolutely love that story. And I have a perfect person to pass it on to.

In addition to my own Ukrainian student whom I zoom with every week, I occasionally help another volunteer whose Ukrainian student (God love her) lives in Scotland near where I grew up. Over the past couple of months I've been making a list for her of common expressions in lowland scots, as she is struggling with the vocabulary as well as the accents of the folks around her. A couple of weeks ago I copied a Scots poem - Lament for a Lost Dinner Ticket - for her, made a recording of the Scots version, and translated it (using a pebble at the bottom of my sporran) into English. Her regular volunteer said she enjoyed it.

tl;dr - I'm going to send the link to a young Ukrainian lady who is living as a refugee in Southwest Scotland, and somewhat unwillingly learning the Scots language, having thought that she was going to an English-speaking country.

If you don't know what I'm talking about with student & volunteer, have a look at the ENGin organization I'm involved in - https://enginprogram.org . Perhaps you might know someone who would like to volunteer? We currently have almost 11 thousand volunteers in over 130 countries, many of them being students.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:58 pm
malkie wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:16 pm

I don't drink alcohol, or use "drugs".

This is not the malkie you're used to - either here or in another place, right? But that's no reason for you to suggest that I'm not in full control of my faculties.

If there is sufficient demand, I'll supply photographic evidence.
Don't let Shades get under your skin. He's an absentee father who only shows up once in a while to neg his kids and demonstrate how out of touch an adult can be.
It's fine, Doc - I have no problem at all with Shades, and have the utmost respect for him. I wasn't surprised at his question. He, like many others, is accustomed to a rather bland malkie, and may have wondered what on earth has got into (literally or otherwise) the usual quiet guy.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:50 pm
People knock academic prose for being obscure, but I submit that sometimes expressions like "fussiness about leg-related anatomy" are worth using.
It's an expression with extremely limited utility, but works superbly in an appropriate context like this one.

One may have to wait a lifetime for another fitting opportunity to bring it out for display.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:58 pm
Do you mean "nag?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

no.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

malkie wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:31 pm
Several years ago I inadvertently took part in a competition for knobbly knees, and was awarded second place. I should have won, but one of my fellow competitors was drunk, and became belligerent when he was told he hadn't won, so they gave him first place, and I, with my superior knee knobbles, had to settle for second place.
You were robbed!!
best bun owner wrote:
Last weekend, however, I entered a contest at the county fair, and my buns were judged the best of the bun-ch.

I wish I could go back to the earlier competition and challenge that wee mingin' nyaff to a rematch, but with buns on display in place of knees.
🤣

These competitions sound like a laugh. What next?