Unexplained sleep? Disorder?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Unexplained sleep? Disorder?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Hi.
I am awaiting neurology and have had a normal MRI. Doctors have no opinions.

I've just escaped being trapped in my sleep. I assume that's what happened.for a while I have been having experiences, always whilst laying down. I assume I am awake about 80 percent of the time. I was definitely asleep this time.

It always comes on as a wave feeling in my chest and then either an aeroplane takin off, a loud humming or a high pitched sound of combinations of these. Then I realise I am trapped. I hallucinate sounds of walking or people talking. Then usually I ride the wave and wake up feeling disturbed.

However, tonight I was trying to sit up and get help. I was trying to call out. Trying to text Jamie and even considered calling 999. I'd be like pulling against elastic trying to move them ping back onto the bed and back in the same position. I then thought I was awake and tried to text Jamie to tell him it happened only for the wave in my chest and head to come again. Each time I pinged back. Sometimes the light changed brightness or a different hallucination sound was going on. I started to think I was trapped. I started praying in my mind and then realised I was awake but wasn't sure if I was truly awake.

My head hurts. I have earache. I'm reluctant to go back to sleep. This is the worst I've ever experienced this.

I have had a couple of episodes where I've tried to stand up and pinged back.

It feels like something weird is going on with my heart.

The world around me looks normal. But I must be asleep.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: Unexplained sleep? Disorder?

I actually see myself typing in messenger during this but now that I am awake I can see that I never sent any messages.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

I'm also feeling scared.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

That does sound scary. Sorry that you're suffering this way. I can certainly understand why you might be reluctant to go back to sleep.

I am not a doctor, or medically qualified in any way, but it sounds to me a bit like sleep paralysis - https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:40 pm
Hi.

I've just escaped being trapped in my sleep. I assume that's what happened.for a while I have been having experiences, always whilst laying down. I assume I am awake about 80 percent of the time. I was definitely asleep this time.

It always comes on as a wave feeling in my chest and then either an aeroplane takin off, a loud humming or a high pitched sound of combinations of these. Then I realise I am trapped. I hallucinate sounds of walking or people talking. Then usually I ride the wave and wake up feeling disturbed.

However, tonight I was trying to sit up and get help. I was trying to call out. Trying to text Jamie and even considered calling 999. I'd be like pulling against elastic trying to move them ping back onto the bed and back in the same position. I then thought I was awake and tried to text Jamie to tell him it happened only for the wave in my chest and head to come again. Each time I pinged back. Sometimes the light changed brightness or a different hallucination sound was going on. I started to think I was trapped. I started praying in my mind and then realised I was awake but wasn't sure if I was truly awake.

My head hurts. I have earache. I'm reluctant to go back to sleep. This is the worst I've ever experienced this.

Sleep paralysis. :shock: In my not-so-professional opinion. I've experienced that only twice in my life that I can think of. Does it feel like dementors are sucking your soul out and you really can't move or speak?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

malkie wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:44 pm
That does sound scary. Sorry that you're suffering this way. I can certainly understand why you might be reluctant to go back to sleep.

I am not a doctor, or medically qualified in any way, but it sounds to me a bit like sleep paralysis - https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis
Oops. malkie caught it before I did.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:31 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:40 pm
Hi.

Sleep paralysis. :shock: In my not-so-professional opinion. I've experienced that only twice in my life that I can think of. Does it feel like dementors are sucking your soul out and you really can't move or speak?
Props to Jersey Girl for the Harry Potter reference :)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

I have considered sleep paralysis. I've had it as a child but I was awake. I felt the bed shaking and I was frozen but I was very awake and I'd try to move but physically couldn't.

This feels different. I can feel myself trying to move and can hear myself calling out and see myself try to message from my phone but it's like an elastic band the more I pull away from where I am the tighter it is and the more I spring back and then the wave of noise and wooshiness and buzzing comes back.

One time I had something similar where I managed to look out the window and it was snowing. Then that day when I went to school to get the kids, I heard people talk about how it has snowed. There was no evidence of snow but it was weird.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:00 pm
I have considered sleep paralysis. I've had it as a child but I was awake. I felt the bed shaking and I was frozen but I was very awake and I'd try to move but physically couldn't.

This feels different. I can feel myself trying to move and can hear myself calling out and see myself try to message from my phone but it's like an elastic band the more I pull away from where I am the tighter it is and the more I spring back and then the wave of noise and wooshiness and buzzing comes back.

One time I had something similar where I managed to look out the window and it was snowing. Then that day when I went to school to get the kids, I heard people talk about how it has snowed. There was no evidence of snow but it was weird.
I took Ritalin for many years for a late-diagnosed case of narcolepsy - although the diagnosis was later determined to be inaccurate. But before being prescribed Ritalin, and a few times after, I experienced auditory hallucinations, and problems with movement when trying to wake up. It was a bit like you describe - my muscles were simply not responding to my attempts to move.

I'm wondering if some combo of a narcolepsy-like condition plus perhaps a hypnagogic sleep disorder might be involved in your case.

My issues seemed to come from a malfunction of the reticular activating system.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

The first time it happened, I wasn't trying to move. I heard the sound of an airplane taking off and a high pitched noise. My heart felt weird. I thought I had a heart attack and died. Then I had a feeling of doom when I was out of it. I spoke to the GP and we considered it to probably be like a deer in headlights anxiety attack.

Then I wondered if it was seizures. There have been times I've smelled burning just after. Usually I hear footsteps and when I finally realised it was hallucinations, I had heard my husband talking but her wasn't home.

I have trigeminal neuralgia. I feel crawling up my head and across my face.

Did you resolve it when you figured out what was involved?