For a Slow News Day: A few quotes by (or about) the Artist Paul Cézanne

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: For a Slow News Day: A few quotes by (or about) the Artist Paul Cézanne

Post by Morley »

Great thread, Gabriel.

"We have to develop an optics," Cezanne said, "by which I mean a logical vision—that is, one with no element of the absurd."

"Are you speaking of our nature?" asked Bernard.

Cezanne: "It has to do with both."

"But aren't nature and art different?"

"I want to make them the same. Art is a personal apperception, which I embody in sensations and which I ask the understanding to organize into a painting."

Paul Cézanne, Portrait of Gustave Geffroy (1895)
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Cézanne says: “Design and color are not distinct. In the degree in which color is really painted, design exists. The more colors harmonize with one another, the more defined is design. When color is at its richest, form is most complete. The secret of design, of everything marked by pattern, is contrast and relation of tones.”

John Dewey, Art as Experience. New York: Penguin Publishing Group, 1934. (p. 126)

Self-Portrait (c.1875)
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I enjoy topics about paintings and have spent some time in the past studying such but feel like I should apologize if I have sounded like a know it all at some time. Such a position is not justified for me.

I notice that the quotes found above do not mesh nicely into a theory. In fact they may be seen to go this way and that. I first found Cezanne interesting, striking, when I was at a young age. I am unsure of why. Some of his landscapes are gorgeous. Some of the still life paintings are like vast vistas. His people look like sacks of potatoes,especially the large bathers. I do not think I understand him further than direct perception. Even those sack of potato people have presence.

Someone might say the paintings became truly modern by leaving all overarching theory history and theme behind and focus only on individual alive experiencing the world in the present.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:37 pm
Gabriel,

You’ve posted some beautiful examples of Cézanne‘s work. Thank you for highlighting his talent. : )
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:54 pm
Ditto!
Morley wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:44 am
Great thread, Gabriel.
Thanks Guys. I am certainly no expert on Cézanne; but lately, during the course of my reading I have been noticing his name pop up more and more – Hemingway and Flannery O’Connor being two recent examples – that I decided to give him a gander to see what all the fuss was about. Now, despite my Scottish, Scandinavian, and Tolkienesque sensibilities, I find myself gravitating towards all things French these days. It’s a character defect on my part!

Portrait of Gustave Geffroy
Portrait of Gustave Geffroy
portrait-of-gustave-geffroy.jpg (108.76 KiB) Viewed 5301 times

Thank you, Morley, for adding this to our gallery. My first take, however, is a rather pedestrian one: I like that Jacket! I will definitely keep my eyes peeled the next time I wander through the hallowed aisles of Goodwill or St. Vinnie’s!

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:11 pm
I enjoy topics about paintings and have spent some time in the past studying such but feel like I should apologize if I have sounded like a know it all at some time. Such a position is not justified for me.

I notice that the quotes found above do not mesh nicely into a theory. In fact, they may be seen to go this way and that. I first found Cezanne interesting, striking, when I was at a young age. I am unsure of why. Some of his landscapes are gorgeous. Some of the still life paintings are like vast vistas. His people look like sacks of potatoes, especially the large bathers. I do not think I understand him further than direct perception. Even those sack of potato people have presence.

Someone might say the paintings became truly modern by leaving all overarching theory history and theme behind and focus only on individual alive experiencing the world in the present.
I echo your sentiments, Huck. My own knowledge of art extends little beyond Humanities 101-type stuff. If I could sum up my admittedly unlearned impression of some of Cézanne’s work, the word “fresh” comes to mind, like a morning walk after a good night’s rest.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:11 pm

I echo your sentiments, Huck. My own knowledge of art extends little beyond Humanities 101-type stuff. If I could sum up my admittedly unlearned impression of some of Cézanne’s work, the word “fresh” comes to mind, like a morning walk after a good night’s rest.
Gabriel, I think your characterization is more accurate and fuller I think than some theoretical analysis of Cezanne that one might encounter. I enjoyed it more as well.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:11 pm
My first take, however, is a rather pedestrian one: I like that Jacket! I will definitely keep my eyes peeled the next time I wander through the hallowed aisles of Goodwill or St. Vinnie’s!
I couldn't agree more.