Carpenters

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Carpenters

Post by bill4long »

Are you old enough to remember when "the Church" said it was okay to like the Carpenters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MCarkGd4Xk

P.S. I love the Carpenters and miss Karen so much. RIP.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Carpenters

Post by Res Ipsa »

I don't remember the church saying anything about the Carpenters. I did go to a Carpenters concert at BYU in the late '70s because the young woman I was dating was a huge fan. It was a good concert, but the best thing about it was that Steve Martin was the warm-up act. It was the days of King Tut, cat toys, and speaking French. :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:43 pm
I don't remember the church saying anything about the Carpenters. I did go to a Carpenters concert at BYU in the late '70s because the young woman I was dating was a huge fan. It was a good concert, but the best thing about it was that Steve Martin was the warm-up act. It was the days of King Tut, cat toys, and speaking French. :lol:
I was puzzled thinking I had never heard church authorities recommending specific popular culture. Then I thought the Carpenters fit a style which Mormon culture gravitates to. That would be like the strong attachment to Sound of Music. Some cultural things just seem to link to Mormon taste or desires.

Then I realized Bill4long is referring to the church as that body of all Mormons who share taste. Yes I can see the church approving of the Carpenters. I would not hold that against the Carpenters.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:43 pm
I was puzzled thinking I had never heard church authorities recommending specific popular culture. Then I thought the Carpenters fit a style which Mormon culture gravitates to. That would be like the strong attachment to Sound of Music. Some cultural things just seem to link to Mormon taste or desires.

Then I realized Bill4long is referring to the church as that body of all Mormons who share taste. Yes I can see the church approving of the Carpenters. I would not hold that against the Carpenters.
Makes sense. They were never my style of music, but I wouldn't hold even the official seal of approval from the prophet against them. :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

bill4long wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:08 am
Are you old enough to remember when "the Church" said it was okay to like the Carpenters?
The church never said that.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

Many vocal coaches consider Karen the greatest recording artist of all time. I use to come home from high school, lay on my parents bed and listen to the album SUPERSTAR. I have listened to Only Yesterday, countless times listening to her hit those low notes at the beginning.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:06 am
Many vocal coaches consider Karen the greatest recording artist of all time. I use to come home from high school, lay on my parents bed and listen to the album SUPERSTAR. I have listened to Yesterday, Once More countless times listening to her hit those low notes at the beginning.
Her Christmas album was a favorite of our family’s prophetess, who prophesied spy’s future role.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

Yea, Karen was super special but she had her struggles too. It was Only Yesterday that I loved.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:34 am
Yea, Karen was super special but she had her struggles too. It was Only Yesterday that I loved.
Top search hits =~
Brave Browser wrote:https://www.google.com/search?q=Karen+w ... uggles+too.
1989 ❕IMDb
https://www.imdb.com › title
Story of the meteoric rise and sudden fall of Karen Carpenter, who became a famous singer before battling anorexia and bulimia.Story of the meteoric risen
Opera Browser wrote:https://www.google.com/search?q=Karen+w ... uggles+too.

What was so special about Karen Carpenter's voice?

Vocal Range: Karen Carpenter possessed a contralto vocal range, which is relatively rare among female singers. Her voice had a warm, rich quality in the lower registers, allowing her to sing with depth and resonance. Clarity and Purity: Her voice was known for its clarity and purity.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=evETS8_WFGE& Only Yesterday
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I want to thank bill4long for this thread. Because of it I listened to a bunch of Carpenters songs today, and I was amazed at how many old songs that I remembered turned out to be theirs. I hadn't realised, at the time. I guess I thought that Karen Carpenter's voice was just how songs were supposed to sound.

Perhaps it's just my age—their songs were already kind of oldies when I first heard them—but Yesterday Once More is the one that I remembered most, and replayed several times.
I was a teenager before it was cool.