The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: SEN child?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Asked previous teacher at Oliver's old school her opinion. She said:

". . . definitely does have a leaning towards something like autism or neuro divergence of some sort. . . get fixated on things. . . interacted differently with his peers. "

I took some bits out.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

One more thing I should maybe add about that autistic guy I know: I don't get the feeling that he has been miserably forced to distort himself in order to get along in the world. Instead I really think that he has happily taken on the challenge of figuring out how to get along with other people as just another of the many things he likes to figure out how to do. He makes knives, he makes hair oil, he fights forest fires ... and he reads faces.

He's just generally into taking on learning things that most people don't. So interacting comfortably with other people seems to just have fit in with that. I think he took it on as just another cool thing to learn how to do. He learned all he could about how other people could be different from him, the same way he would learn about anything interesting. He practiced until he got good at this, too.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

That makes sense :D