The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: SEN child?

Edit
Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My wife teaches special ed at the local middle school. Just from listening to her talk, it's pretty clear that communications between parents and teachers is really important. I think meeting with the teacher is a great idea.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Received this from school today along with a letter talking about my child with special educational needs. Kinda felt weird seeing that written. And looking at the goals, It feels like it's a bit extreme. I'm pretty sure my kid is able to ask questions and look at people and give appropriate responses. I've emailed asking to talk about it. I know when the headteacher says morning to her she grunts at him. And I know if a kid talks to her on the way to of from school she will often ignore them and say she annoys me. And I have to explain that she is just being friendly. It mortifies me. She says things like, he creeps me out right in front of a kid. She once said a girls hair is spooky because it looked like snakes right in front of her, she had lots of little braids.

But she is very loving and very chatty. She didn't give eye contact at her pre school review and it was flagged but then school said she does and I felt she did although at 3 she didn't and she didn't really communicate. I know sometimes, I don't get how sh thinks and I can say something to her and the response doesn't make sense to me but it does to her and that is becoming less noticeable. Maybe I'm just getting used to her.

Just feel like this came out of nowhere. They've sent links for advice. The goals just feel different. Like they are seeing somethin that they haven't brought up to me. Last I heard she settled really well. We were all expecting her to struggle and she seems to be fine. They e given her a job to get her in in the morning. They said she wants mummy a lot. I don't know. Just feel a bit disheartened I guess. Confused that these are her goals. They don't give me goals last year but they showed me a " passport" which said what Phoebe responded to their questions which yes, some didn't make sense, and their action plan which was one to one teaching when possible, weighted blanket, teddy, lots of outdoor play and going to the sensory room.

It's great they are supporting her and meeting these needs. I didn't know those were her needs though. Just need to vent I guess.
I understand, completely. It's not always clear what various bits of jargon mean. If I recall correctly, you are not in Europe right now, right? I ask because where i am, a plan like this would be the outcome of a parent-teacher mtg and not the product of teachrs alone, so it feels a little odd that this was sprung on you w no notice.

Also, just for my clarification, what are ear protectors and weighted blanket? Are they provided by the school?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

What are ear defenders?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

What does your pediatrician think about her progress?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

What does "SEN" stand for?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024