Is it okay to lie to your spouse?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.

Is it okay to lie to your spouse?

No
75%
Yes
25%

Total votes: 8

Jersey Girl
God

Re: Is it okay to lie to your spouse?

Post by Jersey Girl »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:02 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:08 am
What are we lying about exactly? I need examples before I can vote. Just on the face of it, I don't see a reason to lie to my spouse.

I see it more as creative truth telling.

I've raised it to an art form. Try me. 8-)
:lol:
I am well practiced!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:47 am
yellowstone123 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:09 pm
Does lying include withholding information if she ask's you what your number?
Are you talking "phone," or "social security?"
I'm sorry, Dr. Shades. This is Super Spirt Paradise. I shouldn't have posted what's your number as an answer. It really applies to Donald Trump, John F. Kennedy and Joseph Smith. In our culture it's okay if it's high on men but not for woman. Many times couples just don't want to know and it's a new beginning and a fresh start.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:02 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:47 am

Are you talking "phone," or "social security?"
I'm sorry, Dr. Shades. This is Super Spirt Paradise. I shouldn't have posted what's your number as an answer. It really applies to Donald Trump, John F. Kennedy and Joseph Smith. In our culture it's okay if it's high on men but not for woman. Many times couples just don't want to know and it's a new beginning and a fresh start.
Ohhhhhhh. I wouldn't want to be lied to about this even if it's ridiculous. I knew a guy who had a black book and made a point of trying to get as many people in it as possible. He had sex with a girl who was in love with him and knew he was a manwhore on Jamie's couch in front of everyone when we were students. Saw everything when we were walking down the stairs. Was gross. Maybe he should lie lol. I think you could ignore some if it was a drunken one night stand and just say this is how many people I've dated. If it's a low number and you want to show off then I wouldn't think it would matter to exaggerate a little. But usually when a girl is asking it's because she wants to feel special.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:18 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:02 am

:lol:
I am well practiced!
Lol Jersey Girl. <3
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I think it could be okay to say something like, “I don’t want to talk about that.” Marriage doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to tell everything, even about things from long ago or that really aren’t important. I don’t think lying to anyone is ever an ideal option, though. I don’t think one should ever lie to a spouse.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Sounds like some of you have some ‘fessing up to do.

I’ll come up with some scenarios and post them for comments/opinions.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

(I couldn’t lie to my sweet wife, even if I wanted to.) :mrgreen:
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

msnobody wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:45 am
Sounds like some of you have some ‘fessing up to do.

I’ll come up with some scenarios and post them for comments/opinions.
I've never lied to my husband about relationships. He was my first actual boyfriend and the only person I've slept with. He knows everyone I've kissed and everything about my past and childhood. I just hide what I eat sometimes because he criticises my health. He's often telling me what I need to do to be better. I'm fat. But even when I was thin I was still "unhealthy". I don't drink enough water. He smokes so he has a cheek to talk.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

High Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:57 am

(I couldn’t lie to my sweet wife, even if I wanted to.) :mrgreen:
Sounds like a line from a song.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

After 62 years on this earth I believe in telling the truth at all times, especially between age ten and twenty five. It maybe a little rough but in the long run it weeds out those who you do not need in your life. You will be happier without them, and know who your true friends are at the time.

Sam Harris recalls in his book "Lying" that one time a boarder patrol asked him as he checked in from traveling abroad if he had used drugs in the area he visited which was likely Tibet or something like that and he told the officer that he did. They talked for about five minutes, checked his bags and let him go and remarked it was an enjoyable conversation.

He also wrote he won't tell a perpetrator where his victim just ran to because he would just knock the guy out.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.