Washer Dryer preference

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
msnobody
Prophet

Washer Dryer preference

Post by msnobody »

Front load, top load, new combo washer/dryer in one machine. What is your preference?

So, we moved into a house and kept the previous owner’s (friend’s daughter’s home) front load washer and dryer 2+ years ago. The washer is getting to where not all the cycles work, so we will likely have to get a new one. So, considering, when that happens, getting a new washer and dryer.

Pro’s/Cons:
The front loader washer has an earthy odor, but when I wash clothes, there is no odor transferred to our clothing whatsoever. Praise!!! Even tried the washing machine cleaner tabs, etc. I kind of like taking out/putting in clothes in the front. I remember from my previous top loader, it’s kind of cold when your body touched the washer when removing clothing. I’m short, so no getting around this. Front loader— extra expense of placing a pedestal under it. Top loader- probably a bit less expensive. Front load dryer, no bending over to put clothes in or out- I’m only getting older, right?

Then, there are the new all-in-one washer/dryers where the washing and drying is done in the single machine. This would take up less real estate, which I like. Not so sure about the 110 vs 220, and ventless.

Has anyone here tried the new washer/dryer combo machine(s)?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Washer Dryer preference

Post by Jersey Girl »

I've only ever had a top loading washer/front loading dryer. I've used the front loaders you're talking about at a relatives house and the dryer has a steam cycle which is very nice!!!

Follow me while I chop your post to bits...
I’m short, so no getting around this.
Nobody, take my hand...that's what a folding step and spaghetti fork is for. Problem solved! <--short girl hack. 8-)

Then, there are the new all-in-one washer/dryers where the washing and drying is done in the single machine. This would take up less real estate, which I like. Not so sure about the 110 vs 220, and ventless.
Little known fact. They aren't new! My Ma had one back in the 1960's made by Kenmore from Sears and Roebuck.

Has anyone here tried the new washer/dryer combo machine(s)?
Never used it.

All things considered, I guess I would stick to what I know. I haven't heard good things about the front loaders regarding smelly stuff happening though there are youtube videos that show you how to take them apart and clean them. I'm not up for it. The less I have to do the better I like it. I air dry a lot of my clothing anyway.

So...if I DID get a stacked set of front loaders I'd get bright red and be a total show off! :mrgreen:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

My mother used on of these reacher grabber tools:

https://www.amazon.com/HealthSmart-Dis ... 110&sr=8-7

We used to have a stove that lovely brown color. Had a green fridge at some point too. All handed down to us.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:32 pm
My mother used on of these reacher grabber tools:

https://www.amazon.com/HealthSmart-Dis ... 110&sr=8-7
We have one of those from the Boy's previous surgery. I think I'm too brutal and would break it. Thus the spaghetti fork which I never really used anyway. :D
We used to have a stove that lovely brown color. Had a green fridge at some point too. All handed down to us.
Ma's Washer/Dryer was actually white. We had that copper brown color on a new fridge we got! Never had the avocado green or harvest gold of anything.

Memories right? :)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Front load, separate, stackable is okay and go for largest payload. Bottom-of-the-line with 5 manual buttons on the front. No complicated settings with dozens of sensors and if washers and dryers are now claiming to be powered by A.I., stay away. Simple is best. I was pressured into getting an overly-complicated duo a few years ago. The washer in particular was so complicated that I bought the extended warranty, and sure enough, it had two issues within a couple weeks of the warranty expiring and I saved 600$ in repairs. It's the only extended warranty I've ever bought on an appliance. It's now being acknowledged by other parties that the previous ones we had that were very simple had more capacity, easier to use, less annoying with unnecessary lights and audio signals, and never had the slightest problem after years of use.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:26 pm
...Nobody, take my hand...that's what a folding step and spaghetti fork is for. Problem solved! <--short girl hack. 8-)

Image...
Tall girl hack too. I have at least one on every floor of my house. And a really lovely folding mahogany one in my library, kind of like this. 8-)
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I fix our machine when it gets naughty lol

We don't have many top loaders here. Most people have front loaders. It shouldn't smell. Have you cleaned the filter? You might want to clean the filter. I'm sure there will be plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to.

Don't know about other countries but my experience with combos is that they are pretty SH17 at drying. Had one once. Never again. Takes 3 plus hours to dry a load meaning your machine is out of action for washing.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

We're a Speed Queen house 'round these parts. I was originally turned on to them by an appliance repairman buddy as the only brand he'd buy anymore. I don't think you can beat them for quality, reliability, or repairability. They don't make them with a lot of the current bells and whistles but honestly that is a big selling point for me. We did opt for the matching dryer but I don't think that is as necessary. As dryers don't seem to suffer from as many issues, in my experience anyways, you could always opt for a simpler/lower-cost model there.

We've got a family we're close with that changed to the combo setup not too long ago. Their feedback after a few months:
  • Works great once you learn how to set it properly.
  • Isn't great if you like to do all your laundry in one go. Much better suited for frequent smaller loads throughout the week (this is a selling point for them).
  • Drying time is longer than before.
  • They like being able to set it and not worry about it until the load is completely ready.
On paper I like the concept but I think I'd like to see this latest iteration hang around for a bit before I opt to go that route.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Before our current set, we always had top-loaders. We changed to a frontload set for a couple of reasons: we have a smallish house so space is at a premium, and we wanted a worktop in the mud room. When we remodeled the mud room, we put in a counter with a sink to one side -- without pedestals the washer and dryer fit neatly side-by-side beneath the countertop. The second reason was the agitator in top-loading washing machines sometimes played mischief on delicates.

One drawback to the frontloading washer is that water tends to collect in the rubber gasket that seals the door, which could lead to odors; when finished with laundry, we are in the habit of running a cloth around the door seal and keeping the door open until it has dried.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

I used to love opening the top load washing machine and watching it spin really fast. Had to stick something in that little safety device thingy. Ah, the good old days! 8-)

I agree with waiting until the kinks are worked out. We’ve only got one cycle left that uses water. Dryer is still going strong, except for those ink stains in the drum from The Great Ink Pen Disaster of 2023.

I stopped at Dollar Tree on my way home, and saw the spaghetti spoons/forks on the wall and thought about you Jersey.