Does Thomas S Monson tell lies...?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Yoda

Re: Does Thomas S Monson tell lies...?

Post by _Yoda »

Would you rather that Elder Dunn had not been exposed?

Yes.

I enjoyed Elder Dunn's talks. He was one of the best speakers that the Church had.

So what if some of his stories were made up? He probably could have made quite a bit of money putting them all into a novel. Instead, he devoted his life to the Church. His messages were positive gospel messages. If he had been a preacher in any other Church, he would have likely been hailed.

Bah! We Mormons are way too judgmental. And Ex-Mormons don't tend to fall too far from the tree.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

liz3564 wrote:

Yes.

I enjoyed Elder Dunn's talks. He was one of the best speakers that the Church had.

So what if some of his stories were made up? He probably could have made quite a bit of money putting them all into a novel. Instead, he devoted his life to the Church. His messages were positive gospel messages. If he had been a preacher in any other Church, he would have likely been hailed.

Bah! We Mormons are way too judgmental. And Ex-Mormons don't tend to fall too far from the tree.

Thank you for your honest response to this question, Liz. I suspect you're not alone in this.

I'm walking out the door, but will try to respond in the next few days.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Thank you for this honest response to this question, Liz. I suspect you're not alone in this.

I'm walking out the door, but will try to respond in the next few days.

Not a problem, Morely! I would like to discuss this with you further. Feel free to start another thread if you would like!

Have a good trip! :-)
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

liz3564 wrote:

Yes.

So what if some of his stories were made up?

Do you feel the same way about Joseph Smith, Jr.? As long as he was a good speaker, so what if his stories were made up?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Fifth Columnist
_Emeritus

Post by _Fifth Columnist »

liz3564 wrote:I enjoyed Elder Dunn's talks. He was one of the best speakers that the Church had.

So what if some of his stories were made up?

It matters because he represented them as being true.

One thing is for sure, many people felt the spirit when Dunn was telling those stories so it stands to reason that God must tacitly approve of what Dunn did ... or, on the other hand, feeling the spirit is not a reliable way to determine truth and is probably just an emotional response to an emotionally engaging and powerful story regardless of whether the story is true.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Shades wrote:Do you feel the same way about Joseph Smith, Jr.? As long as he was a good speaker, so what if his stories were made up?

I don't know. I never heard Joseph Smith Jr. speak.

_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

liz3564 wrote:

Yes.

I met Dunn, spent time with him once.
He left me with the impression that he was actually a really nice decent bloke. I was gutted to find out about his fabrications. I wish he hadn't done it, but he did and he was held accountable for it.

To his credit, he held his hands up, explained his rationale and accepted with good grace his punishment.

When you are called as an Apostle you absolutely have to tell the truth.
'Church pictures are not always accurate' (The Nehor May 4th 2011)

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Dunn was not an Apostle. He was a General Authority. There is a difference. His highest office was as one of the 7 presidents in the Seventy.
_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

liz3564 wrote:

Dunn was not an Apostle. He was a General Authority. There is a difference. His highest office was as one of the 7 presidents in the Seventy.

Liz, you are quite right and I apologise to the board for the mistake.

I do stand by the statement that Apostles absolutely have to tell the truth. I guess GA's should too.
'Church pictures are not always accurate' (The Nehor May 4th 2011)

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.
_Nomad
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomad »

Nevo wrote:
Nomad wrote:If we ever needed a good reason to join DCP and Will in leaving this board forever, I think this thread qualifies. Isn't it perfectly obvious to you that it is impossible to have a rational discussion with these people anymore? This thread has left me shaking my head like few others I have ever seen on this board, and that is really saying something. There is a violent, irrational undercurrent that has started to accompany almost every discussion that goes on here. To me, it's very disturbing. Like some kind of corner has been turned and suddenly it's not all fun and games anymore. There's no more point in trying to talk to them. It's gone way past that.

I agree. This board has turned into RfM.

You're exactly right. In some ways, it's even worse.

I'm done with this place.

Me too.

I do want you to know that, in all my years posting on this and at FAIR/MADB, you've been one of my favorite posters. Fare thee well.
... she said that she was ready to drive up to Salt Lake City and confront ... Church leaders ... while well armed. The idea was ... dropped ... [because] she didn't have a 12 gauge with her.
-DrW about his friends (Link)