“King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

Here comes Anubis

Post by Shulem »

To be fair about it, Moksha, it wasn’t professor Gee that ordered Reuben Hedlock to hack out the snout in the lead plate of Facsimile No. 3. It was Joseph Smith! Upon learning that Anubis was an important figure in Egyptian mythology according to the Masonic order and the Dog Star symbol he instructed Hedlock to get rid of the snout. Gee only learned about this a few years ago thanks to my discovery but he’s ignored it hoping that the problem will go away. But the problem is not going to go away. It’s going to get bigger and bigger until it is seen for what it is. The whole world needs to know. And it will! Every single Latter-day Saint needs to hear about this and they will!

I’m not ready to start a celestial thread just yet. Do you want me to? Do you want to see that here in the Celestial Forum?
Shulem
God

Re: “King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

Post by Shulem »

NEWS FLASH!

JOSEPH SMITH, the translator and revelator for the Church provides the Explanation of Abraham sitting on King Pharaoh’s throne and holding the king’s scepter(s) (crook & flail) but most importantly wearing the king’s crown upon his own head.

Joseph Smith wrote: Fig. 1. Abraham sitting upon Pharaoh’s throne, by the politeness of the king, with a crown upon his head, representing the Priesthood, as emblematical of the grand Presidency in Heaven; with the scepter of justice and judgment in his hand.

How does this balance or equate to Smith’s other interpretation of the alleged “King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head” when SHE is standing behind the throne wearing a crown? The person of Fig. 2 is wearing a CROWN and a rather large one at that! IF Joseph Smith’s interpretation of this scene had credibility, then what we would expect to see is King Pharaoh WITHOUT a crown and wearing a headdress only. If that were the case, then, we could lend some degree of credence to Smith’s interpretation. But as it is, King Pharaoh Lady Isis is wearing a daunting looking crown that appears in perfect balance as if it belongs right where it’s at and yet Smith says the King’s crown is atop Abraham’s head who is usurping the throne!

What’s wrong with that picture? Everything! The Explanations given in Facsimile No. 3 are not true. They are fictitious renderings from the imagination of someone who had no idea what the scene truly represented or what it entailed. Smith was completely out of his league. He was wrong, period.

Isn’t that right, John Gee?

What say ye, Philo? RFM?

PS. Shades, please give me a pass on the red writing because I really needed that ink for this example. I try not to overdo it or take advantage. Thanks, you’re a pal.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:14 pm
What say ye,... RFM?
Are you saying that RFM believes Joe was any sort of a real prophet? Say it ain't so. :|
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

bill4long wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 pm
Shulem wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:14 pm
What say ye,... RFM?
Are you saying that RFM believes Joe was any sort of a real prophet? Say it ain't so. :|

I’m saying that RFM has not been paying attention and is falling behind because he is so busy and occupied with all the things that he has to contend with in his daily life -- but he’s not been here, in this thread, where he needs to keep abreast and stay current. He has to stay on top of the Book of Abraham. That requires paying attention and following my cues. I mean that in a gentle and humble way.

I’m on top of the world looking down on creation... so please, please, listen to me and put the pieces together. Don’t fall behind.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

You won't waste your breath shouting at the crowd
The Anubis snout discovery was truly inspired
Return Anubis snout for the song to continue
The rocks and stones themselves will start to sing:
Dr. Gee, Dr. Gee please confess to me
Hey Anubis superstar, Egyptology!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

QUESTION FOR JOHN GEE:

Which of the following general theories do you think works best with the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3 published by JOSEPH SMITH in the Times and Seasons?

1. Smith translated the Book of Abraham by using the existing fragments
2. Smith translated the Book of Abraham by using the missing roll
3. Smith translated the Book of Abraham by using papyrus as a catalyst

ANSWER KEY:
  • A missing roll can’t factor into the equation of solving “King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head” because the characters already exist above the head and so a missing roll is instantly irrelevant.
  • The idea of a catalyst can never provide the NAME of King Pharaoh given in the characters above his head and is therefore a false conclusion.
  • Smith used the existing fragment or the very vignette itself and the hieroglyphic writing thereon to indicate that a king’s name is written in the writing.
Shulem
God

Re: Copies of Egyptian Characters, circa Summer 1835–B

Post by Shulem »

Joseph Smith Handwriting wrote:
Egyptian alphabet first degree

✦ ah the first being who exercises Supreme power
✦ pha-e the first man or one who has Kingly power or K[ing]
✦ having geater domion or power
The writing AND the characters were penned by Smith:
Joseph Smith Papers wrote:The characters in this document were likely written by Joseph Smith, given the similarity of the ink flow between the characters and the sounds and explanations that follow, which are in Joseph Smith’s handwriting.

The first three Egyptian hieratic characters listed at the top of the column in which Joseph Smith’s own handwriting translates as “King” were taken from funerary papyrus had in his possession. Needless to say that these characters do not signify a king or his power to reign over Egypt. Therefore, when it comes to translating a king’s name by using Egyptian characters on Smith’s papyrus, we KNOW he was wrong on two accounts:

• 1835 Egyptian alphabet first degree
  • 1842 Facsimile No. 3 Fig. 2
Shulem
God

Re: Copies of Egyptian Characters, circa Summer 1835–B

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:27 am
The first three Egyptian hieratic characters listed at the top of the column in which Joseph Smith’s own handwriting translates as “King” were taken from funerary papyrus had in his possession. Needless to say that these characters do not signify a king or his power to reign over Egypt.

PEARL OF GREAT PRICE CENTRAL acknowledges that President Joseph Smith (WITH THE AID OF HIS SCRIBES) came up with essentially nothing in his failed attempts to decipher the ancient Egyptian language. Below is a photo (the same document I provided in the post above) from their webpage. I quote them out of context to give the general flavor of how all is lost when it comes to the translations of Joseph Smith (who used scribes to help him write what he wanted), most notably when it comes to a King’s name the prophet FAILED. This brief provided by desperate apologists is a classic example of putting lipstick on a pig because the Kirtland Egyptian Papers are truly President Smith’s work being “a hodgepodge of documents that transcribe portions of the characters from the Egyptian papyri and appear to attempt to systematize an understanding of the Egyptian language.”

• “conflicting interpretations of the historical data”
  • “This uncertainty has unfortunately resulted in a lack of consensus on how to understand this collection.”
  • “it is clear that the Egyptian-language documents in the Kirtland Egyptian Papers reflect a sincere attempt by those involved to somehow understand the Egyptian language”
  • “these attempts are considered by modern Egyptologists—both Latter-day Saints and others—to be of no actual value in understanding [the] Egyptian” language.”
  • “Egyptian-language documents as Joseph Smith’s botched revelation”

Joseph Smith’s own hieratic characters written by his own hand and the translation that follows by his own hand proves he could not translate Egyptian.

I so testify, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Shulem
God

Blame the President NOT the Scribes

Post by Shulem »

PEARL OF GREAT PRICE CENTRAL wrote:
  • “it is clear that the Egyptian-language documents in the Kirtland Egyptian Papers reflect a sincere attempt by those involved to somehow understand the Egyptian language”

Dear Readers,

Allow me to rephrase the sentence taken out of context from the above article to place things in proper context and shine the light exactly where it needs to be shined. Apologists seem to have a hard time understanding who was in charge of the Church and who was in charge of the translation process and who OWNED the papyrus and the manuscripts detailing the translation work. All of it was the personal product and work in care of the prophet himself. He was the mastermind and he used ordained scribes to do his bidding. They obeyed the prophet! The manuscript above shows translation work in the very handwriting of the TRANSLATOR himself, in effect, Joseph told the scribes to stand aside so that he may set his hand to the record to witness the work.

Amen.

“it is clear that the Egyptian-language documents in the Kirtland Egyptian Papers reflect a sincere attempt by those involved PRESIDENT JOSEPH SMITH THE PROPHET, SEER, AND TRANSLATOR to somehow understand the Egyptian language”

I blame the prophet, NOT the scribes who were doing their job. The scribes followed the commands of the prophet and exercised loyalty to the man they believed was translating Egyptian into English.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

PEARL OF GREAT PRICE CENTRAL wrote:Image

Because of this, some have attempted to use the Egyptian-language documents to cast doubt on Joseph Smith’s prophetic inspiration or the authenticity of the Book of Abraham.

Some people? What people? You mean me, SHULEM?

“ATTEMPTED” to cast doubt on Joseph Smith’s prophetic inspiration? Make no mistake about it, this is NOT an attempt, these are plain FACTS to prove Joseph Smith’s prophetic inspiration or authenticity was bogus and the clip above in Smith’s handwriting proves it. He drew the signs and he wrote the translations to follow. It’s in the TRANSLATOR’S hands and is as plain as can be. Just open your eyes and look. It's written by the hand of JOSEPH SMITH the translator of the Book of Abraham. The murder weapon pen and ink is in his own hand! He is writing on *HIS* paper!

PEARL OF GREAT PRICE CENTRAL wrote:This effort, however, is highly questionable for many reasons.

The four reasons you then state in order to make it “highly questionable” are weak and irrelevant. They are the opinions of apologists who have a hard time getting a grip on reality because it questions their personal testimony that they feel trumps all evidence to the contrary.

Ask yourself:
  • Is that not Joseph Smith’s handwriting?
  • Is not Joseph Smith the prophet?
  • Is not Joseph Smith the translator?
Yes, yes, and yes!!!

The document above was Joseph Smith’s inspired work and was kept and preserved as a witness to that work in translating the Book of Abraham and other records taken from the papyri that he had in mind to translate. The Kirtland Egyptian Papers were the working papers in which Smith translated the Book of Abraham. It’s his work. He owned it. It was locked up in the President’s office.