What is the Purpose of Life?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Thank ya'll for the insightful thoughts. I suppose my question really was two questions... what is the purpose of life existing in the universe, and, what is the purpose of our individual lives.

My observation is that regardless of one's religion, faith tradition, or secular belief, at its core, most people believe it is important to live one's life in the best way possible.

I suppose it doesn't matter if the reason to live a good life is because one thinks they are being tested, or needing to learn particular lessons, or wanting to live with God in the next life, or to bring a little bit of joy and peace to this world.

IOM, whatever helps one live a good life has got to be a good thing! :-)

~dancer~
[/url][/list]
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hi TD, you say:

I agree. Few live a perfect life. However, in that imperfect life where one competes, or cooperates, in their market pursuits there are as many moments to be "good" as there are to be mean, thoughtless, indifferent,nasty...etc.

It is moment by moment that joy counters saddness, that smiles create smiles, and eyes connect in recognition of the humanity of another. All in our busy, materialistic, self absorbed hours in our shared and moving space. As i see it... Roger
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

I believe the answer is 42.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Runtu wrote:I believe the answer is 42.

I heartily dispute that. I say it's 33.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Runtu wrote:I believe the answer is 42.

Hitchhiker!
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

truth dancer wrote:Thank ya'll for the insightful thoughts. I suppose my question really was two questions... what is the purpose of life existing in the universe, and, what is the purpose of our individual lives.

My observation is that regardless of one's religion, faith tradition, or secular belief, at its core, most people believe it is important to live one's life in the best way possible.

I suppose it doesn't matter if the reason to live a good life is because one thinks they are being tested, or needing to learn particular lessons, or wanting to live with God in the next life, or to bring a little bit of joy and peace to this world.

~dancer~
[/url][/list]

OK, I'll try to put my philosophy into words.

We can never know the purpose of like existing in the universe, no matter what any one "religion" says. The universe is far too vast and there is just too much unknown for us.

I still think that there is a purpose to all this, even though I fully admit that I cannot know what it is. I’m just part of the greater universe, and there’s NO way I can even begin to understand the complexity of everything that is in it.

My objective is to live as full a life as I can, not using my faith as a crutch, nor living it so that I might reach some ethereal heaven, which, for all I know, doesn't exist.

I guess I’m more interested in making this life the most it can be, than worrying about where I’ll be after I’m dead. Whatever happens happens, and there’s nothing I can do about it, or know for sure what it’s going to be like, if anything.

There is no way for any of us to really, REALLY know what is beyond death, if anything.

So, be kind to your family and friends, try to do the right thing, and be happy.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Oz...

Welcome!

Nice post!

I completely agree. We can hear all the stories and beliefs but in the end, no one really knows. Some guesses make more sense than others and some sound much better than others but alas, I suppose we have to wait to find out.

:-)

~dancer~
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Can never know

Post by _Gazelam »

This is silly to think. Of coarce you can know. The Holy Ghosts sole purpose is to act as a revelator and to give you firm ground to stand upon to know your place in the universe. Just as the North Star and the Big Dipper guided seaman in ancient times, the Gospel as revealed through the Holy Ghost allows you to know how to return to your Father in Heaven.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Can never know

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:This is silly to think. Of coarce you can know. The Holy Ghosts sole purpose is to act as a revelator and to give you firm ground to stand upon to know your place in the universe. Just as the North Star and the Big Dipper guided seaman in ancient times, the Gospel as revealed through the Holy Ghost allows you to know how to return to your Father in Heaven.

Gaz

But there's the rub. The Holy Ghost is telling lots of different folks to follow different paths. Only a tiny fraction are Mormons.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

The meaning of life for me is whatever I want it to be right now. And right now I want it to be a land full of ice cream and chocolate syrup.

I believe that "Man is that he might have joy" and that no one else should tell anyone how they get there. The person seeking should determine if s/he has found it.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.