In retrospect, the thing that bothered me most

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Guardiands wrote:MormonMendacity, I must admit I find the "props" undisturbing. Why use a seer stone? Well, Joseph was raised to believe that God spoke to people through such tools. Why use Golden Plates? Because the presence of them (even if it was just random scribblings with no meaning) provided Joseph with some physical evidence.

So why should these things matter? I mean, later Joseph received revelations and translated without these "props". So it would seem he had the ability to translate/receive revelation on his own all along.

So my answer to this is that revelation has always been explained as something that takes a great amount of faith. If I may be so cheesy, Dumbo could always fly, the feather didn't suddenly endow him with this power, but the feather gave him the faith that was needed for him to fly. These "props" would give Joseph the faith needed to receive the revelations.

At least that's one way of looking at it.

Thanks, Guardiands. Good thoughts and an interesting perspective.

Now imagine, if you will, that Joseph Smith is being dishonest about his stories and he is making them up. Do any of those things I called "props" disturb you?

I don't think it is very safe ground for humans to believe that faith is required of by God. Oh, I know all the religious arguments supporting the notion but they also all come from the same self-testifying theologies. But IF I have to have faith, then why exert all the work to get 11 people to confirm that they saw the plates? I see a mixture of an attempt at evidence and an ultimate reliance on believing...but now I have even MORE people I can believe.

If the proof of the Book of Mormon, the divine mission of Joseph Smith and the truthfulness of the Church is delivered to the seeker of truth by the promptings of the Holy Ghost then I think the props detract from that message. We are constantly shown all the facts, proofs, reasons that support the authenticity of the Restoration and then, when we begin to question the authenticity by finding discordant accounts, unpleasant historical evidence, lack of evidence (DNA, steel, horses, etc.) we are told that the only important proof is the testimony we get from the Holy Ghost. When we then redirect our attention to the HG and question the reliability of that story, the blame (or fault) for not getting the LDS answer is placed squarely on us.

It sounds like a game of Five Card Monty to me. And that's why I challenge the props. There would be a whole lot less holes in the dike if we didn't have questionable claims of translations surrounded by Smith's claims to divine instruction.

Just my opinion, of course.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Guardiands
_Emeritus

Post by _Guardiands »

Now you raise a very valid concern. These props as used by Joseph, to me make sense. But the issue you raise of presenting these props to others as a form of "objective" verification, seems to contradict the reason LDS then give for the plates not given today.

It is almost as if you are allowed a "little" objective truth, some witnesses here and there, but not much (like the plates themself).

Well now I"ll have to ponder on this.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: In retrospect, the thing that bothered me most

Post by _Jason Bourne »

MormonMendacity wrote:...about the Book of Mormon is that Smith used props to give it credibility.

I've asked myself a lot whether I would have been able to stay if he had just received the Book of Mormon in a revelation. Could I have stayed if so much evidence against his translation skills had been missing?

If the story had been that an angel appeared to him and over the course of several weeks or months told Joseph the story of the early inhabitants of the Americas including Jesus-visit and all, I think it would not have bothered me as much. He would not have become such a conman to me.

Plates aren't necessary if you are reading the story in a magical stone or listening to the last survivor tell it.
If God can preserve the plates buried in a hill, he can surely eliminate the need to hide them.
You don't need witnesses to attest that they really saw the golden plates if the plates are not a prop that need to be authenticated.

So much circumstantial evidence is provided that it distracted from the essence of a potentially good allegory and moral. "God loves us all. He sent his son to everyone."

He could have even taken that farther and done a Book of Tao and a Book of Ivan...all delivered to him -- THE SEER who can SEE THINGS.

The plates, the witnesses, the intrigue and the lies all combined to be just too much for me.

I would have preferred to stay LDS and not caused my family such pain.

Anybody else?

Kind of like Muhammed and the Quran?

Jason
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Jason Bourne wrote:Kind of like Muhammed and the Quran?
Jason

Sorry. What is like Muhammed and the Quran? Is one a prop for the other? Which one is for which?

Ya lost me.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

MormonMendacity wrote:
Jason

Sorry. What is like Muhammed and the Quran? Is one a prop for the other? Which one is for which?

Ya lost me.

You said if he just said and angel came and gave him the Book of Mormon and he sort of dictated it as the angel gave it, or if it was a revelation. Muhammed claimed to receive the Quran in this manner, from and angel.

Jason
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Jason Bourne wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:
Jason

Ya lost me.

You said if he just said and angel came and gave him the Book of Mormon and he sort of dictated it as the angel gave it, or if it was a revelation. Muhammed claimed to receive the Quran in this manner, from and angel.

Jason

Aha! Yes. Thanks. That clears it up. Sorry for not getting your point.

I do think that it is easier to focus on Joseph's message if I was not trying to distinguish between the allegations of facts that are constantly being assailed and the desire the Church has to direct people to Moroni 10:4&5.

Good point. Thanks.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

MormonMendacity wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:
Jason

Ya lost me.

Jason

I do think that it is easier to focus on Joseph's message if I was not trying to distinguish between the allegations of facts that are constantly being assailed and the desire the Church has to direct people to Moroni 10:4&5.

Good point. Thanks.

You know, one could argue that by linking the Book of Mormon to plates, angels and other witnesses it makes it more authentic and believable. How easy it would have been to just say "Hey everyone!! Over the last four years and angel has been coming to me and giving me new scripture and why here is is!" It would have been a lot easier in many ways to defend, rather then having plates, a device to translate with, witnesses, scribes, lost manuscripts and so forth. Why weave such a difficult story to defend and perpetuate? Did it make it more believable?

Jason

Jason
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Asking the Lord

Post by _Gazelam »

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Jason Bourne wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:
Jason

Ya lost me.

Jason

Good point. Thanks.

You know, one could argue that by linking the Book of Mormon to plates, angels and other witnesses it makes it more authentic and believable. How easy it would have been to just say "Hey everyone!! Over the last four years and angel has been coming to me and giving me new scripture and why here is is!" It would have been a lot easier in many ways to defend, rather then having plates, a device to translate with, witnesses, scribes, lost manuscripts and so forth. Why weave such a difficult story to defend and perpetuate? Did it make it more believable?

Jason

Jason

I agree. And this time I think that you and Joseph 100% are in sync on the reason you need Witnesses.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Re: Asking the Lord

Gazelam wrote:As opposed to Moroni's promise, try any of these:

Ask: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/a/172

Pray: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/p/153

Seek: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/s/85

Thanks!