Does Thomas S Monson tell lies...?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_jon
_Emeritus

Re: Does Thomas S Monson tell lies...?

Post by _jon »

Oh, I think we'll get to the culmination of the subject all in good time my dear sub, but I suspect you won't like where it ends up...
'Church pictures are not always accurate' (The Nehor May 4th 2011)

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.
_stemelbow
_Emeritus

Post by _stemelbow »

This thread clearly amounts to critics quibbling about inconsequential things and attributing nefarious motives to an LDS person based on such petty quibbling. And it started out on some witch-hunt to determine if there really ever was a guy who Monson knew who enlisted in the Navy. I think its clear, many critics here will take some of the most innocuous and innocent things said by an LDS person and make mountains out of molehills.

I don't know how many of these threads are active right now, but there are a few. Its a shame. the hostility is disappointing.
Love ya tons,
Stem

I ain't nuttin'. don't get all worked up on account of me.
_Fifth Columnist
_Emeritus

Post by _Fifth Columnist »

It sounds like Monson knew his friend died and wanted to use his story to emphasize his belief in the resurrection. To Monson and his defenders, the actual facts are just unimportant details. The important thing is that members get that spiritual feeling.
_Nevo
_Emeritus

Post by _Nevo »

Nomad wrote:If we ever needed a good reason to join DCP and Will in leaving this board forever, I think this thread qualifies. Isn't it perfectly obvious to you that it is impossible to have a rational discussion with these people anymore? This thread has left me shaking my head like few others I have ever seen on this board, and that is really saying something. There is a violent, irrational undercurrent that has started to accompany almost every discussion that goes on here. To me, it's very disturbing. Like some kind of corner has been turned and suddenly it's not all fun and games anymore. There's no more point in trying to talk to them. It's gone way past that.

I agree. This board has turned into RfM. I'm done with this place.
_Corpsegrinder
_Emeritus

Post by _Corpsegrinder »

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

Nomad wrote:If we ever needed a good reason to join DCP and Will in leaving this board forever, I think this thread qualifies. Isn't it perfectly obvious to you that it is impossible to have a rational discussion with these people anymore? This thread has left me shaking my head like few others I have ever seen on this board, and that is really saying something. There is a violent, irrational undercurrent that has started to accompany almost every discussion that goes on here. To me, it's very disturbing. Like some kind of corner has been turned and suddenly it's not all fun and games anymore. There's no more point in trying to talk to them. It's gone way past that.

You keep promising to leave Will, but you keep coming back with different monikers.

LOL at "violent undercurrent." You guys just love to wallow in your persecution fetish. If only you could find someone to actually persecute you.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Corpsegrinder wrote:Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus.

wow, a legal reference..... unfortunately it only applies to "willful" falsification, and that has not, nor will it be, proven.

but hey, if it being in latin makes it more "true" for you then here is one for your ears:
fidem scit

(just make sure you pronounce it correctly, you good little roman you)
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

interested wrote:It might not affect the quality of his life but it will affect the quality of his believability.

Hardly. TSM is quite believable, which is why it's unfortunate that he didn't get the details right on this.

I don't think it matters much in the grand scheme of things. Most people would raise their eyebrows...at the critics who are quibbling about such a small thing.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

I think it's clear that the story isn't a piece of Paul H. Dunnery. Did Monson fudge the details of the story to make it sound better? Probably. I'm sure they all do that. But let's get real - this is religion. It's all about feeling, not a dedication to only the facts. They're very likely staying closer to the facts than, for example, the writers of the New Testament. Or early Mormon leadership. Relatively speaking this isn't so bad.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

To tell the truth, this thread redeemed Pres. Monson a bit for me. When Patton wasn't on the military's war dead rolls, I was concerned that Monson's talk might be a total fabrication. That Patton was on a ship's muster and went missing around the time that was mentioned in one of the talks restores a measure of credibility to the man. Thanks to all who investigated this matter.