Tal's epistemology (and DCP's)

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Tarski wrote:Well, yeah!. Its all messed up in many ways so, they can't be consistent.

Yes, I mentioned that way back in the thread: "Mormonism is so internally inconsistent there's no way to use consistency in defending it! ...Mormon apologists use whatever methods they can to defend their beliefs, even if they contradict themselves..."

No philosopher would be able to justify the convoluted theology of Mormonism!

Not me. I couldn't bring myself to that point.

I brought myself to that point. I was there. Some of us are bigger suckers than others. Sigh.

KA
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

---I envy you, Tarski. I'll probably never stop reproaching myself for going down the whole path...I was a fool.

_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Tal Bachman wrote:

---I envy you, Tarski. I'll probably never stop reproaching myself for going down the whole path...I was a fool.

Don't get me wrong. I occasionally beleived. Just had doubts sporadically, never quite certain
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

What I'd like to know now is this:

If plants and animals perform the same sort of "reasoning" as human beings do, in gauging the unobserved according to the observed, and modifying their behaviour accordingly, can it even be called "reasoning" at all?

Like...I can't see how Popper could be correct that this process does not occur; but as I think about it, whether it is actually a cognitive process, rather than just, say, a process of the nervous system which is rationalized after the fact as a process of reason, is a more difficult question...

_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Tal Bachman wrote:What I'd like to know now is this:

If plants and animals perform the same sort of "reasoning" as human beings do, in gauging the unobserved according to the observed, and modifying their behaviour accordingly, can it even be called "reasoning" at all?

Like...I can't see how Popper could be correct that this process does not occur; but as I think about it, whether it is actually a cognitive process, rather than just, say, a process of the nervous system which is rationalized after the fact as a process of reason, is a more difficult question...

yep, there is the rub.
I think it is a "Cognitive" process with a capital C often when it seems we are reasoning, but our state of knowledge at this point is shakey. Did you read John Horgan's "The Undiscovered Mind"?
_tojohndillonesq
_Emeritus

Logic in Theology

Post by _tojohndillonesq »

A Light in the Darkness wrote:
tojohndillonesq wrote:
Good question; relevance. Atheists claim that they argue against God because such a "superstition" is harmful to the world. (Invalid reasoning - ad consequentiam).

You are mistaken here. Ad consequentiam is when one argues a proposition is untrue because it leads to undesirable consequences. Arguing that something is worthy of opposition because it leads to undesireable consequences is not an example of this. Indeed, if it were, that would consequentialist theories of ethics a trivial example of a logical fallacy, which it obviously is not. Presumably, the atheist thinks belief is wrong for other reasons. And most of them think - or at least say they think - it is harmful. It is the latter that is the justification for opposition and is no more an example of this fallacy than opposing dietary supplements sold on informercials. There are good and bad ways to confront atheists. In think you are in error here.

Excellent point... I mistated the argument. There is a profound difference between "worthy of opposition" and "should not be believed because of consequences..." which was what I meant and should have stated more clearly.

So the statement "Christianity is a false religion because it causes bad behavior" is not a valid argument.

Whereas "We need to rid the world of Christianity because it causes bad behavior" is valid, though only as an unproven proposition.

As far as how to confront atheists goes, identifying the "best" way is like identifying the right shoe size for a group of people; everyone has a different "fit." I personally think Christians make a greivous error when they rely on the personal testimony of a changed life. By validating that argument we open the way for religions such as LDS to argue that their religion is "right" because it has a bigger impact on adherents lives. I also believe that it is critical for Christians to demonstrate that Christianity can be adopted by rational, logical individuals. Many, many atheists have come to believe that accepting Christianity means denying the intellect in favor of pure superstition.

Also on the subject of logic I want to point out that making a mistake - as we all do - does not invalidate the premise or conclusions of the argument. For example, I think there is some typo in your sentence: "Indeed, if it were, that would consequentialist theories of ethics a trivial example of a logical fallacy, which it obviously is not." That sentence is not a valid basis for refuting anything you have said.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the
gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."
_tojohndillonesq
_Emeritus

A Light in the Darkness wrote:
tojohndillonesq wrote:
Good question; relevance. Atheists claim that they argue against God because such a "superstition" is harmful to the world. (Invalid reasoning - ad consequentiam).

You are mistaken here. Ad consequentiam is when one argues a proposition is untrue because it leads to undesirable consequences. Arguing that something is worthy of opposition because it leads to undesireable consequences is not an example of this. Indeed, if it were, that would consequentialist theories of ethics a trivial example of a logical fallacy, which it obviously is not. Presumably, the atheist thinks belief is wrong for other reasons. And most of them think - or at least say they think - it is harmful. It is the latter that is the justification for opposition and is no more an example of this fallacy than opposing dietary supplements sold on informercials. There are good and bad ways to confront atheists. In think you are in error here.

Absolutely correct; I mispoke there. The error I wanted to point out was Ad consequentiam; the working in my example was wrong. What I meant to "confront" was the implication that Christianity is untrue because it is harmful... that is ad cons.

The reason I argue this point is that many many atheists believe they have the high ground when it comes to logic. Sadly. they believe, or at least express the belief, that to become a Christian requires the abandonment of all reason. Some fundamentalist sects may require that (do require it) but it is important to show that it is not inherent in the Christian faith. (Noting the Straw Man fallacy; the fact that my arguments are not always valid does not of itself invalidate the premise or conclusion).

I could not quite clarify some typo in your sentence "Indeed, if it were, that would consequentialist theories of ethics a trivial example of a logical fallacy, which it obviously is not." I assume you are saying that ethics would be invalidated by my argument. If so, agreed. But my argument was a mere mis-statement. Kind of like the one above by you.

Trying to determine the best way to talk to an atheist is like trying to determine the best shoe size for a group of people. Different individuals take different approaches. Some think intellectually, some think emotionally, but most won't think about God it at all. In this group the stated value is reason and logic.

I think Christians make a greivous error when they allow the conversation to be moved to pure emotion. This is the approach of the Mormon; "I have no grounds on which to argue, so I advise you to trust the burning in your heart." If the Christian argues on the same emotional basis he validates the idea that reason, logic, and scepticism have no place in faith. That is simply not so. We are to be wise as serpents, gentle as doves, not succumbing to the slippery lies of false prophets. If we cannot logically support other beliefs -be the Christian or Scientist or what have you, then logically refuting Mormonism has no pupose at all.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the
_tojohndillonesq
_Emeritus

Gadianton wrote:
john, it's quite simple, Christianity is close to home. Buddhism isn't.

Understood. so the atheists here can talk of desiring to make the world a better place but they don't really care about the rest of world, just the Americas...

It is the paranormal (anything that hints of the supernatural, an afterlife, a higher power, etc.) that hits the skeptic/atheist hot button.

Indicating that atheists must believe in voodoo and remote viewing.

I believe that isolating the weaker points of the argument and using them to refute the whole is another form of the straw man error. To hold the logical high ground you need to take on the stronger forms; such as the idea of Jesus Christ.
You're right, no ex-mo's are angry at the belief Joseph Smith had that it was ok to coerce a 15 year old girl into a sexual relationship.

I really don't think the anger is at the idea... as repulsive as it is. The anger is at the actor and actions. And I think, based on the sarcasm, with me.

Nobody said hostility and anger are good things.

And yet apparently sarcasm - a hostile form of belittling others - is used here.
You're losing context, son. I was merely making it clear that you were missing the point by suggesting there is hostility and anger towards a non-existent God.

The sweeping statement with the use of the word "son" here appears to be an attempt to discredit the speaker - ad hominem. Perhaps I am mistaken...

I no doubt miss the point when it comes to those issues of personal abuse that strike so close to emotional home for many ex-mormons. That is perhaps your context - the one you think I am losing - but not mine. It is not something I can speak to with experience... not even 2nd hand.

I am really trying to talk about God... and more importantly about Christ. All I was really trying to say was "Methinks thou dost protest too much." And that only in relation to God and Jesus, not to Mormon practices.
_tojohndillonesq
_Emeritus

NEW THREAD ON LOGIC IN THEOLOGY

Per Tal's kind request I am starting a new thread on this.

Southwest
_mo-watcher
_Emeritus

Post by _mo-watcher »

Tal Bachman wrote:Hey "victim of unprecendented calumny"

If you don't want to be involved in the thread, stop sniping from the sidelines like a sissy. If you want to join in, be a man and explain exactly what your position is, and then defend it. That's what the rest of us are doing. If you don't want to do that, for God's sake, do yourself a favour and stop embarrassing yourself with the sissy snips...

Watch the fight, or get in the ring - don't throw jelly beans from the sidelines and then start blubbering when someone gets sick of it and throws some back. You sound like a classic, cowardly bully. Get in the ring, or stay out of it.

Totally pathetic.

T.

Sorry Tal, but I find this ironic in light of your appearance on the FAIRboards some time back (perhaps a couple of years ago), when you would post your thoughts & completely ignore all serious counter-arguments.

The good news, however, is that I've been learning a lot reading your posts in this thread (and I mean that is all seriousness).