River Sidon War and Book of Mormon Blooper

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

Re: Waters of Sidon

Post by Shulem »

Alma 3:3 wrote:And now as many of the Lamanites and the Amlicites who had been slain upon the bank of the river Sidon were cast into the waters of Sidon; and behold their bones are in the depths of the sea, and they are many.
Vs.
Heartland Model wrote:And now as many of the Lamanites and the Amlicites who had been slain upon the bank of the river Sidon were cast into the waters of Sidon; and behold their bones are in the depths of the sea MISSISSIPPI RIVER, and they are many.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: River Sidon War and Book of Mormon Blooper

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

"And so it came to pass that the battle was over, and the dead were many. The Lamanites and the Amlicites lay strewn upon the banks of the River Sidon, their bodies broken and their blood spilled. And the victors cast the bodies of their enemies into the river, where they sank to the depths of the sea."

"And there they lie to this day, their bones a reminder of the cost of war. A reminder of the folly of men who would seek to destroy one another. A reminder that even in victory, there is loss."

"And so the River Sidon became a place of sorrow and mourning. A place where the living would come to remember the dead. A place where they would pray for peace and healing."

"And the bones of the dead would remain there, a silent witness to the cruelty of man. A reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always hope."

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:51 am
"And so it came to pass that the battle was over, and the dead were many. The Lamanites and the Amlicites lay strewn upon the banks of the River Sidon, their bodies broken and their blood spilled. And the victors cast the bodies of their enemies into the river, where they sank to the depths of the sea."

The Heartland model shows the very place at top left of the map:

ZARAHEMLA + MISSISSIPPI RIVER + NAUVOO + HILL AMNIHU

Behold their bones are still in the depths of the sea!

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

The Delmarva model just keeps making more and more sense the more you put the pieces together, Paul. You should write and publish a book.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:51 am

"And there they lie to this day, their bones a reminder of the cost of war. A reminder of the folly of men who would seek to destroy one another. A reminder that even in victory, there is loss."

"And so the River Sidon became a place of sorrow and mourning. A place where the living would come to remember the dead. A place where they would pray for peace and healing."

"And the bones of the dead would remain there, a silent witness to the cruelty of man. A reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always hope."

Doc, I am a bit puzzled about the source of your quotes here. I checked the Book of Mormon and after the first comment from Alma I found none of the rest. Instead there is a lengthy explanation of the cursed Lamanites with dark skin and how their allies marked themselves.Then everbody is suffering because of lost people and crops. Then the next year everybody gets proud because of all the fine clothing they have.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Huck, I told Google’s Bard to write Alma 3:3 in the style of Lord of the Rings. The screencap below was a clue for those who watched the movies. Thanks for asking!

- Doc
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:38 pm
Huck, I told Google’s Bard to write Alma 3:3 in the style of Lord of the Rings. The screencap below was a clue for those who watched the movies. Thanks for asking!

- Doc
You presented an interesting comparison.I imagined that it was some sort of updated presentation of the story.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:21 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:38 pm

- Doc
You presented an interesting comparison.I imagined that it was some sort of updated presentation of the story.
You didn’t have to imagine it thanks to our A.I. overlords. :)
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:28 pm
The Delmarva model just keeps making more and more sense the more you put the pieces together, Paul. You should write and publish a book.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my work and manner in which I present it. I think my geography threads are entertaining and designed to capture interest and lift eyebrows. Indeed, the Delmarva peninsula really was Smith’s template in which he formulated the stories to fit therein and open the way for the plates to go north where Mormon could process them. If Smith had not wasted time recreating the lost 116 pages through the eyes of Nephi rather than his father Lehi, we would have even more of the Book of Mormon stories he was wont to tell. I suspect Smith was somewhat tired and frustrated and wanted to get the book completed and ready for publication. It seems he quickly ran through parts of the book to meet that end. The important thing was to get the plates to Cumorah in New York State.

It’s going to be really cool when the BYP and others have an epiphany in realizing that the code really has been cracked by using Delmarva as the means to get the plates to Palmyra. Vogel is stuck in the hemispheric view and his historian mindset puts too much stock in what Parley P. Pratt mistakenly pushed when he first studied the book and speculated about where Lehi landed. I really hope Dan wakes up and comes to understand he’s still a victim of the original pious fraud.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Daniel C. Peterson wrote: John L. Sorenson said:

“River Sidon is the only stream mentioned by name in the record, we are certain of its course only from its origin up in the narrow strip of mountain wilderness above Manti down to Zarahemla. It must have had a sizable flow, because bodies of the dead cast into it up even up above Manti in the dry season (when fighting went on) were assumed to have gone down to the depths of the sea.”

Dan, please show me on the map where the bodies of the Amlicites and Lamanites were cast into the river and let’s follow the course and see where they end up, into the sea. Just point your finger at the map and show the location and we’ll see what it takes for those bodies to float downstream into the sea wherein the bones sink into the depths.

Google Earth: “Behold their bones are in the depths of the sea”

John L. Sorenson wrote:The “head of the river Sidon,” referred to several times, may or may not have been a particular point (perhaps a confluence of two or more tributary streams) but was the highest part of the flow conceptualized by the Nephites as the river. Its course northward from Zarahemla is not clear.

What’s abundantly clear is that bodies could not have floated down a winding and twisted Mesoamerican river for hundreds of miles in which bones would become archaeological evidence for the Book of Mormon. The only evidence for the Book of Mormon is in the imagination of Mormons who have faith in its stories. Those bones will never be found!