Bible verse by verse

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Re: Bible verse by verse

Post by _LittleNipper »

Revelation 19:1-21

Following, I heard what sounded like the roar of a huge heavenly audience, shouting, “Hallelujah! The victory, glory, power of our God!

For His judgments are true and correct. He has judged the great prostitute who corrupted the earth with her whoring. He has taken vengeance on her who has the blood of His servants on her hands.”

And a 2nd time they said, “Hallelujah! Her smoke ascends upward eternally!”

The 24 elders and the 4 living beings fell down and worshiped God, sitting on the throne, and said, "So be it! Hallelujah!”

A voice went out from the throne, saying, “Praise our God, all you His servants, you who regard Him, small and great!”

Then I heard what sounded like the roar of a huge audience, like the sound of rushing waters, like loud peals of thunder, saying, “Hallelujah! The Lord, God of heaven’s armies, has started His reign!

“Let's rejoice and be glad! Let'[s give him the glory! For the moment has arrived for the wedding of the Lamb, and His Bride has prepared herself —

fine linen, bright and clean has been given her to wear.” (“Fine linen” represents the righteous deeds of God’s people.)

The angel said to me, “Write: ‘How blessed are those who have been invited to the wedding feast of the Lamb!’” Then he added, “These are God’s very words.”

I fell at his feet to worship him; but he said, “Don’t do that! I’m only a fellow-servant with you and your brothers who posses the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of prophecy.”

Next I saw heaven opened, and there before me was a white horse. Sitting on it was the one called Faithful and True, and it is in righteousness that He passes judgment and goes to battle.

His eyes were like a flashing flame, and on his head were many royal crowns. And He had a name written which no one knew but Him alone.

He was wearing a robe that had been soaked in blood, and the name by which He is called is, “THE WORD OF GOD.”

The armies of heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and pure, followed Him on white horses.

And out of His mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down nations — “He will rule them with an inflexible staff.”It is He who treads the wine-press from which flows the wine of the furious indignation of the Lord, God of heaven’s armies.

And on His robe at His thigh He has a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out in a loud voice to all the birds that fly about in the air, “Come, gather together for the great feast God is providing,

to eat the flesh of rulers, generals, important men, horses and riders and the flesh of all kinds of humans, free and slave, small and great!”

I saw the beast and the rulers of the earth and their armies gathered together to do battle with the rider of the horse and His army.

But the beast was taken captive, and along too the false prophet who, in its presence, had performed miracles which he had used to deceive those who had received the mark of the beast and those who had worshiped his image. The beast and the false prophet were both thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.

The rest were killed with the sword that goes out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 And after these things I heard a great voice of a great multitude in the heaven, saying, `Alleluia! the salvation, and the glory, and the honour, and the power, [is] to the Lord our God;

2 because true and righteous [are] His judgments, because He did judge the great whore who did corrupt the earth in her whoredom, and He did avenge the blood of His servants at her hand;'

3 and a second time they said, `Alleluia;' and her smoke doth come up -- to the ages of the ages!

4 And fall down did the elders -- the twenty and four -- and the four living creatures, and they did bow before God who is sitting upon the throne, saying, `Amen, Alleluia.'

5 And a voice out of the throne did come forth, saying, `Praise our God, all ye His servants, and those fearing Him, both the small and the great;'

6 and I heard as the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, `Alleluia! because reign did the Lord God -- the Almighty!

7 may we rejoice and exult, and give the glory to Him, because come did the marriage of the Lamb, and his wife did make herself ready;

8 and there was given to her that she may be arrayed with fine linen, pure and shining, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.'

9 And he saith to me, `Write: Happy [are] they who to the supper of the marriage of the Lamb have been called;' and he saith to me, `These [are] the true words of God;'

10 and I fell before his feet, to bow before him, and he saith to me, `See -- not! fellow servant of thee am I, and of thy brethren, those having the testimony of Jesus; bow before God, for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of the prophecy.'

11 And I saw the heaven having been opened, and lo, a white horse, and he who is sitting upon it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness doth he judge and war,

12 and his eyes [are] as a flame of fire, and upon his head [are] many diadems -- having a name written that no one hath known, except himself,

13 and he is arrayed with a garment covered with blood, and his name is called, The Word of God.

14 And the armies in the heaven were following him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen -- white and pure;

15 and out of his mouth doth proceed a sharp sword, that with it he may smite the nations, and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, and he doth tread the press of the wine of the wrath and the anger of God the Almighty,

16 and he hath upon the garment and upon his thigh the name written, `King of kings, and Lord of lords.'

17 And I saw one messenger standing in the sun, and he cried, a great voice, saying to all the birds that are flying in mid-heaven, `Come and be gathered together to the supper of the great God,

18 that ye may eat flesh of kings, and flesh of chiefs of thousands, and flesh of strong men, and flesh of horses, and of those sitting on them, and the flesh of all -- freemen and servants -- both small and great.'

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, having been gathered together to make war with him who is sitting upon the horse, and with his army;

20 and the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet who did the signs before him, in which he led astray those who did receive the mark of the beast, and those who did bow before his image; living they were cast -- the two -- to the lake of the fire, that is burning with brimstone;

21 and the rest were killed with the sword of him who is sitting on the horse, which [sword] is proceeding out of his mouth, and all the birds were filled out of their flesh.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

How interesting that, in the midst of a mindbending vision, the writer still has time to count twenty four of something. :lol: The cannibalistic eating of kings is a nice touch.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Maksutov wrote:How interesting that, in the midst of a mindbending vision, the writer still has time to count twenty four of something. :lol: The cannibalistic eating of kings is a nice touch.

Check, you may notice they are birds who eat kings not humans. Muksutov, you missed the rod of iron being spoken of as an inflatable rod which is unusual and could suggest some irreverent comedy. I am puzzled as to how that got there.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

huckelberry wrote:
Maksutov wrote:How interesting that, in the midst of a mindbending vision, the writer still has time to count twenty four of something. :lol: The cannibalistic eating of kings is a nice touch.

Check, you may notice they are birds who eat kings not humans. Muksutov, you missed the rod of iron being spoken of as an inflatable rod which is unusual and could suggest some irreverent comedy. I am puzzled as to how that got there.

You're right! So many dazzling, er, images. We really need a movie of this with subtitles and then a lengthy debriefing and rehab afterwards. :biggrin:

He's definitely better at math than Joseph Smith. Smith couldn't tell one from two (First Visions). This dude goes beyond fingers AND toes. :lol:
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

huckelberry wrote:

Just checking to see who is reading ---- should be "inflexible." Just kidding, it was a spellcheck flub and I missed it. :redface:
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:Just checking to see who is reading ---- should be "inflexible." Just kidding, it was a spellcheck flub and I missed it. :redface:

It doesn't matter either way. :wink:
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Maksutov wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:Just checking to see who is reading ---- should be "inflexible." Just kidding, it was a spellcheck flub and I missed it. :redface:

It doesn't matter either way. :wink:
It may not matter for Y-O-U! That is entirely up to Y-O-U! :ugeek:
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Revelation 20:1-15

Next I saw an angel coming down from heaven, who had the key to the Abyss and a great chain in his posession.

He grabbed the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the Devil and Satan [the Adversary], and chained him up for a 1000 year period.

He tossed him into the Abyss, locked it and sealed it over him; so that he could not deceive the nations any more for a period lasting 1000 years. After that, he has to be released for a little while.

Then I saw thrones, and those seated on them received authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for testifying regarding Jesus and proclaiming the Word of God, also those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received the mark on their foreheads and on their hands. They came to life and ruled with the Messiah for the 1000 year period

(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the 1000 years ended). This is the 1st resurrection.

Blessed and holy is anyone who has a part in this 1st resurrection; over him the 2nd death has no control. Quite the contrary, they will be priests of God and the Messiah, and they will rule with Him during the 1000 years.

When the 1000 years end, the Adversary will be set free from his prison

and will go out to deceive the nations across the planet, Gog and Magog, to gather them for the battle. Their number is as countless as the sand on the seashore,

And they came up over the breadth of the Land and surrounded the camp of God’s people and the city He loves. But fire came down from heaven and consumed them.

The Adversary who had deceived them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night eternally.

Next I saw a great white throne and the One sitting on it. Earth and heaven vanished from His presence, and no place existed for them.

And I saw the dead, both great and small, standing in front of the throne. Books were opened; and another book was opened, the Book of Life; and the dead were judged from what was recorded in the books, according to their deeds.

The sea gave up the dead in it; and Death and Hell gave up the dead in them; and they were judged, each according to his accomplishments.

Then Death and hell were hurled into the lake of fire. This is the second death — the lake of fire.

Anyone whose name was not found written in the Book of Life was hurled into the lake of fire.

1 And I saw a messenger coming down out of the heaven, having the key of the abyss, and a great chain over his hand,

2 and he laid hold on the dragon, the old serpent, who is Devil and Adversary, and did bind him a thousand years,

3 and he cast him to the abyss, and did shut him up, and put a seal upon him, that he may not lead astray the nations any more, till the thousand years may be finished; and after these it behoveth him to be loosed a little time.

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them, and the souls of those who have been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus, and because of the word of God, and who did not bow before the beast, nor his image, and did not receive the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand, and they did live and reign with Christ the thousand years;

5 and the rest of the dead did not live again till the thousand years may be finished; this [is] the first rising again.

6 Happy and holy [is] he who is having part in the first rising again; over these the second death hath not authority, but they shall be priests of God and of the Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

7 And when the thousand years may be finished, the Adversary shall be loosed out of his prison,

8 and he shall go forth to lead the nations astray, that are in the four corners of the earth -- Gog and Magog -- to gather them together to war, of whom the number [is] as the sand of the sea;

9 and they did go up over the breadth of the land, and did surround the camp of the saints, and the beloved city, and there came down fire from God out of the heaven, and devoured them;

10 and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [are] the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night -- to the ages of the ages.

11 And I saw a great white throne, and Him who is sitting upon it, from whose face the earth and the heaven did flee away, and place was not found for them;

12 and I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and scrolls were opened, and another scroll was opened, which is that of the life, and the dead were judged out of the things written in the scrolls -- according to their works;

13 and the sea did give up those dead in it, and the death and the hades did give up the dead in them, and they were judged, each one according to their works;

14 and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire -- this [is] the second death;

15 and if any one was not found written in the scroll of the life, he was cast to the lake of the fire.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Revelation 21:1-27

Next I observed a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had vanished, and the sea was gone.

Also I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, decending out of heaven from God, prepared like a bride beautifully arrayed for her groom.

I heard a loud voice from the throne say, “See! God’s glory is with mankind, and He will reside with them. They will be His people, and He Himself, God-with-them [CHRIST], will be their God.

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will no longer exist death; and there will no longer be any mourning, crying or pain; because the old order is dead.”

Then the One sitting on the throne said, “Observe! I am recreating everything!” Additionally He said, “Take dictation, ‘These words are true and believable!’”

And He said to me, “It is finished! I Am the ‘A’ and the ‘Z,’ the Start and the Finish. To anyone who is thirsty I Myself will provide absolutely free water from the Fountain of Life.

He who wins the victory will receive these things, and I will be His God, and He will be My son.

But as for the cowardly, the untrustworthy, the vile, the murderers, the sexually deviates, those involved with the occult and with drugs, idol-worshipers, and all liars — their destiny is the lake burning with fire and sulfur, the second death.”

One of the 7 angels having the 7 bowls brimming with the 7 last plagues approached me and said, “Come! I will show you the Bride, the Wife of the Lamb.”

He carried me off in the Spirit to the top of a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, descending down out of heaven from God.

It had the glory of God, so that its brilliance was like that of a priceless jewel, like a brillant diamond.

It had a great, high wall with 12 gates; at the gates were 12 angels; and inscribed on the gates were the names of the twelve tribes of Israel.

There were 3 gates to the east, 3 to the north, 3 to the south and 3 to the west.

The wall of the city was built on 12 foundation-stones, and on these were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

The angel speaking with me had a gold measuring-rod with which to measure the city, gates and wall.

The city is laid out as a square, its length equal to its width. With his rod he measured the city at 1,500 miles, with length, width and height the same.

He measured its wall at 216 feet by human standards of measurement, which the angel was applying.

The wall was made of diamond and the city of pure gold resembling crystal.

The foundations of the city wall were decorated with all kinds of precious stones — the first foundation stone was diamond, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald,

the 5th sardonic, the 6th carnelian, the 7th chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the 9th topaz, the 10th chrysoprase, the 11th turquoise and the 12th amethyst.

The 12 gates each a pearl, with each gate made of a single pearl. The city’s main street was pure gold, transparent as glass.

I saw no Temple in the city, for the Lord, God of heaven’s armies, is its Temple, as is the Lamb.

The city has no use for the sun or the moon to shine upon it, because God’s glory provides its light, and its lamp is the Lamb.

The nations will walk by its light, and the rulers of the earth will bring their splendor into it.

Its gates will never close, they remain open all day because night will not exist there.

And the honor and splendor of the nations will be brought into it.

Nothing impure may enter it, nor anyone who does shameful things or lies; the only ones who may enter are those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth did pass away, and the sea is not any more;

2 and I, John, saw the holy city -- new Jerusalem -- coming down from God out of the heaven, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband;

3 and I heard a great voice out of the heaven, saying, `Lo, the tabernacle of God [is] with men, and He will tabernacle with them, and they shall be His peoples, and God Himself shall be with them -- their God,

4 and God shall wipe away every tear from their eyes, and the death shall not be any more, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor shall there be any more pain, because the first things did go away.'

5 And He who is sitting upon the throne said, `Lo, new I make all things; and He saith to me, `Write, because these words are true and stedfast;'

6 and He said to me, `It hath been done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End; I, to him who is thirsting, will give of the fountain of the water of the life freely;

7 he who is overcoming shall inherit all things, and I will be to him -- a God, and he shall be to me -- the son,

8 and to fearful, and unstedfast, and abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all the liars, their part [is] in the lake that is burning with fire and brimstone, which is a second death.'

9 And there came unto me one of the seven messengers, who have the seven vials that are full of the seven last plagues, and he spake with me, saying, `Come, I will shew thee the bride of the Lamb -- the wife,'

10 and he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and did shew to me the great city, the holy Jerusalem, coming down out of the heaven from God,

11 having the glory of God, and her light [is] like a stone most precious, as a jasper stone clear as crystal,

12 having also a wall great and high, having twelve gates, and at the gates twelve messengers, and names written thereon, which are [those] of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel,

13 at the east three gates, at the north three gates, at the south three gates, at the west three gates;

14 and the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 And he who is speaking with me had a golden reed, that he may measure the city, and its gates, and its wall;

16 and the city lieth square, and the length of it is as great as the breadth; and he did measure the city with the reed -- furlongs twelve thousand; the length, and the breadth, and the height, of it are equal;

17 and he measured its wall, an hundred forty-four cubits, the measure of a man, that is, of the messenger;

18 and the building of its wall was jasper, and the city [is] pure gold -- like to pure glass;

19 and the foundations of the wall of the city with every precious stone have been adorned; the first foundation jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, chalcedony; the fourth, emerald;

20 the fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, topaz; the tenth, chrysoprasus; the eleventh, jacinth; the twelfth, amethyst.

21 And the twelve gates [are] twelve pearls, each several one of the gates was of one pearl; and the broad-place of the city [is] pure gold -- as transparent glass.

22 And a sanctuary I did not see in it, for the Lord God, the Almighty, is its sanctuary, and the Lamb,

23 and the city hath no need of the sun, nor of the moon, that they may shine in it; for the glory of God did lighten it, and the lamp of it [is] the Lamb;

24 and the nations of the saved in its light shall walk, and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it,

25 and its gates shall not at all be shut by day, for night shall not be there;

26 and they shall bring the glory and the honour of the nations into it;

27 and there may not at all enter into it any thing defiling and doing abomination, and a lie, but -- those written in the scroll of the life of the Lamb.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:
Maksutov wrote:It doesn't matter either way. :wink:
It may not matter for Y-O-U! That is entirely up to Y-O-U! :ugeek:

Hey, the scribes and translators probably did that all the time. That's another reason we can say the Bible was man made. There were probably lots of fallible humans in the process and that's why it's such a mess.

And what difference does the distinction make in your life? What are the implications of inflatable vs inflexible? What does the original text say? Context, please. :wink: