"WHERE ELSE COULD WE GO?.."

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Re: "WHERE ELSE COULD WE GO?.."

Post by _Sam Harris »

Inconceivable wrote:
GIMR wrote:
The Village ticked me off royally, mainly because I was still struggling as an LDS when I saw it, and saw so much of my (and others') experiences within the church in it. I left the theater shaking my head and thinking, "that's just like the church".

Thanks for your perspective GIMR.

When "The Villiage" came out several years ago, I did not even occur to me the obvious and troubling parallels.

I recall when Bill and Hillary seiged the white house that she made that famous "It takes a village" speech as well. It frightened many of us that it was all about her definition of a "village", full of all the decadence of society.

That was the one and only year we made the mistake in enrolling our kids into a Mormon charter school to keep them "safe". It was like we ended up in a lead cave for a while just fearing all those shadows out there. Our kids regressed and became very close minded and judgemental of those on the outside for a time. Glad we snapped out of it.

Since that time (and previously) we have always had our children attend the public school system. There are so many reasons why it has been the better choice. If they are raised within the world, they develop life skills through comparison and contrast. They have a better chance of overcoming their fears of people from other walks of life and learn to respect them in spite of the differences. Not only that but they might even realize that we are all basically good.

Hey Inconceivable,

LOL, I have some fond memories of Catholic school. I'm not too fond of the public schools in my area, though if I were to live within the city I was born in now, things might be different. I was teased a lot, so mom put me in private school. But being the only black Jew in a school full of Catholics was definitely interesting. At least I did well in religion class, while ticking off my Jewish grandmother. She laid my mother out on the regular about sending me there. But I kind of liked it. :-) My first confession was interesting (don't know why I had to do it, but it is a funny memory). They put on sad music and told us to think of all the thing we'd done wrong. I was sobbing by the time I got to the priest, and the priests were trying to hard not to laugh at the things we told them we had done!

The level of education was better, but there was definitely prejudice there from a small few, I would say overall though, that school was good. I was nanny for about 20 months to two Catholic children, and the school they went to was very diverse.

I haven't had kids yet (though the prospect of that and their daddy is looming), but I wonder if I would homeschool them if I did. I was a senior when Columbine happened, and I remember the fear of those days. The young children I see these days where I live are mouthy, the boys trying to prove a manhood they do not have, the girls walking around in miniskirts and boots with heels. It's scary. The guy I'm dating has his daughters on lockdown, and at first I thought he was crazy, but I looked at two young girls that I've cared for over the years who are the same age. One looks like a miniature woman, the other looks like a 5-year-old, like she should. My 12-year-old niece walks around in eyeshadow, lipgloss, and tight clothes, when I didn't get a powder compact and some lipstick from the makeup counter until I was almost 15. It's frightening, and I'm somewhat glad I don't have to deal with being a parent yet.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Re: "WHERE ELSE COULD WE GO?.."

Post by _Sam Harris »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
GIMR WROTE: I couldn't stand RS when I was a member, I just got tired of the flourescent smiles in the wards I attended, and the what seemed to be "worthiness competition". There were few genuine people in my first ward (they had the highest record of temple attendance, and 99.99999999% of them were from Utah, so there was a lot of pride in that), and when you come from "out of the box", and can't give an orthodox answer to any question given, it's hard. Not to mention all the purity talks. Some of us lost our "innocence" before we knew what a Mormon was, and that was very degrading for me. I was so ashamed of myself and my body.

Sometimes when we couldn't stand it, my friends and I would sit in the foyer and just talk, or I'd sit alone and study. Same thing with Sunday school.

Sounds like that would be very difficult. You had purity talks as grown, adult women? Why?

Beastie hit the nail on the head. You were taught that good, Christian women waited until marriage, and that anything you did before then was the dirtiest thing you could do. I remember feeling so guilty, and confiding in a friend at the time. She looked so sad and disappointed in me. It's like you're walking on coals in hell to them if you have sex before marriage.

The guilt was awful, I used to just sit in the back, look around me, and wish I was someone completely different. On many levels.

And I agree, in fundamentalist religions the control of sex is a big issue. Beastie's right, if they can control what you do in the bedroom, they can control anything about you.

I was never so glad as when I stepped outside that influence.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

GIMR wrote:PP, sometimes completely reading through a post and pausing to think about what you've read before you indulge in the jerk-knee reaction is helpful.

GIMR wrote:I think there is a lot of fear-based manipulation in Mormonism and also within fundamentalist Christianity. You're not a good religionist if you do certain things. I'm not a good Christian because I refuse to see homosexuals as d*** near animals. I'm not a good Christian because I want to not just read the English version of a Latin version of a Greek and Hebrew text, I want to get to the point where I can read those other three languages, and know a good bit about the cultures that the writers of the Bible lived in. Not only that, but I refuse to write off other faiths, regardless of what pastor or other people who "know the Bible" have to say. Memorization doesn't equate knowledge, in my book. I'm sorry.

What you believe in is your choice. Sneering at anyone who believes in a God is no better than Mormons who sneer at you for not being one. Pot, meet Kettle.
Momons will use this against you.

Anything you find odd in Mormonism or the Book of Mormon, they will find a similar thing in your Bible and use it against you.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

PP,

Why should I care? I don't have Mormon bogyemen under my bed like you do. I'm free. You, on the other hand must have this black and white POV in order to function. Who's on the pathetic side.

I don't give a gawdam what Mormons use against me. I'm my own person, my own mind. Same goes for any other fundie. You're the one who's trapped, using bad humor and even worse language to lash out at what still imprisons you.

I'm free from having to have life be either the way they see it or the polar opposite. I'll be glad when you get there someday as well.