Do LDS believe that Abraham lied?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

Sarah was Abraham's half-sister-- daughter of his father but not his mother.........
"Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife. " Gen. 20:12
_Daniell
_Emeritus

Re: Do LDS believe that Abraham lied?

Post by _Daniell »

Jersey Girl wrote:Do LDS believe that Abraham lied about Sarah or encouraged her to lie about her relationship to Abraham based on the following? Just curious...

As a body, I could not tell you, But I know some that do and others that do not. It all depends on your view.

If we refer to the flesh, Of course he lied, Is there some sin in this?

The scripture reads, or should read, "Thou shalt NOT bear false witness" NOT "Thou shalt not lie"
I am not saying that a typical lie is not sin but at the same time I am not saying it is, What was the "Intent"?

Yet in Spirit, She was his sister and there was no lie.

Daniel
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hi Jersey G,in answer to your question, "this one does." Having read Gaz, and your corrections of his "apologetics" i'm not sure of your position on the literalism of the 'lie' or of the story in general?? Be that as it may.

Throughout the Abramic dynasty deception in many forms seem endemic to the whole tribe. Ab, Issy and Jake, and their various siblings, mothers and wives seemed skilled at exploiting opportunities and putting others at disadvantage. They survived, but history indicates it to have been, and is, not an enviable survival.

I think John the Baptist summed up his distain of the Abramic clan: "...God is able to raise up children of Abraham from these stones..." (Mt. 3:9)

However it's part of the mythology and not exemplary of behaviour one should emulate in their attempt to follow Jesus, or a path based on any sense of honourable ethics. Who doesn't have skeletons in their closets? Warm regards, Roger
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Do LDS believe that Abraham lied?

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Daniell wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Do LDS believe that Abraham lied about Sarah or encouraged her to lie about her relationship to Abraham based on the following? Just curious...

As a body, I could not tell you, But I know some that do and others that do not. It all depends on your view.

If we refer to the flesh, Of course he lied, Is there some sin in this?

The scripture reads, or should read, "Thou shalt NOT bear false witness" NOT "Thou shalt not lie"
I am not saying that a typical lie is not sin but at the same time I am not saying it is, What was the "Intent"?

Yet in Spirit, She was his sister and there was no lie.

Daniel

Daniel,

According to Genesis 20:12, Abraham did not lie when he claimed that Sarah was his sister.

Jersey Girl
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Hi Jersey Girl, according to Genesis, Eve was made from Adam's rib, there was a globe-covering flood, Jonah sojouned in the belly of a big fish, "God" destroyed innocent children, etc etc. And we are surprised that Abraham lied? Or deny that he did? What are your conclusions??
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Roger Morrison wrote:Hi Jersey Girl, according to Genesis, Eve was made from Adam's rib, there was a globe-covering flood, Jonah sojouned in the belly of a big fish, "God" destroyed innocent children, etc etc. And we are surprised that Abraham lied? Or deny that he did? What are your conclusions??

Hi Roger,

I didn't forget about your questions here. I just chose to think about them before answering. Well, we'll see how much thought I've given it!

My conclusion is that Abraham didn't lie. He failed to tell the complete story. For example, I could tell you that I have "half" brothers and sisters. And I do. However, the rest of the story is that they are also my cousins. All true.

Jersey Girl
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

HMy conclusion is that Abraham didn't lie. He failed to tell the complete story. For example, I could tell you that I have "half" brothers and sisters. And I do. However, the rest of the story is that they are also my cousins. All true.

i Jersey Girl, you say:

I kinda messed up the quote thing but, weedling in "half-truths" says much for Ab's character, little of it what i would expect from a person with "high" moral values.

However i do think it (dealing in 1/2 truths) realistically presents Ab as he was, a normal "War Lord" who would do anything to retain his life and expand his property.

Not Ab's fault that he is iconized. It's the effect of propaganda, myth, legend and the need of the masses to believe--anything. Someone is said to have said, "...the bigger the lie, the easier it is to believe..." ????

Good question. Lots of ramifications!! Warm regards, Roger