True Doctrine

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_marg

Post by _marg »

leeirons wrote: I failed to see almost any point in what you were saying, so I could not address anything specific. The only thing I saw was a general lack of understanding of the scientific method. Just because you say you have proved a point does not make it so.

I see you are interested in a fruitful discussion.
I want you to list the points I've made so far, that you take exception to. Also I want you to quote me where where I said I proved a point.

I'll address the rest of your post later. I've got other things to do atm.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: True Doctrine

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:Image

I hear repeatedly here in this mesage board how wrong the Gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is. What I never hear is where these doubters go to worship and find truth. What alternative faith do these people offer once they have torn down our faith?

Please state, if you have left the church or are planning to leave the church, where you go now or are planning to go.

Also please state doctrinal differences and their replacements, with scriptural refrences if possible.

Thank you

Gaz

Why must someone have another view if they find MormonCorp to be a fraud? It is not neccesary to have another faith let alone any faith at all to reject Mormonism.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

If you had no faith in God, you would not care. I hear repeatedly that we are wrong, but never do I hear what faith in opposition to the church is true.

You seek to destroy my house, and offer nothing in return but your hollow narcissistic words and hedonistic lifestyle of destruction. When you can show me the true God of Israel, then I wil hear you, until then your just a buzzing insect.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Gazelam wrote:If you had no faith in God, you would not care. I hear repeatedly that we are wrong, but never do I hear what faith in opposition to the church is true.

You seek to destroy my house, and offer nothing in return but your hollow narcissistic words and hedonistic lifestyle of destruction. When you can show me the true God of Israel, then I wil hear you, until then your just a buzzing insect.

Gaz

What if God prefers to be more than just "the God of Isreal"? Or are you saying that only Isreal counts? Nothing about God in the Bible prohibits him from being more than just Isreal's God.

God, Elohim, Jehovah, the Creator, Allah... are they not all the same being?
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:If you had no faith in God, you would not care. I hear repeatedly that we are wrong, but never do I hear what faith in opposition to the church is true.

Gaz

That's hilarious, Gaz. I wonder what hedonistic lifestyle I'm leading. The one where I have a large family, I go to work, and do my best to be a good husband and father? I actually tried wine last week, which I guess passes for hedonism in your book.

I don't know that following Mormonism leads to destruction, but it sure wastes a lot of time and effort on something of little consequence. Come to think of it, that's what hedonism is supposed to be.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Runtu wrote:

Gaz

That's hilarious, Gaz. I wonder what hedonistic lifestyle I'm leading. The one where I have a large family, I go to work, and do my best to be a good husband and father? I actually tried wine last week, which I guess passes for hedonism in your book.

I don't know that following Mormonism leads to destruction, but it sure wastes a lot of time and effort on something of little consequence. Come to think of it, that's what hedonism is supposed to be.

I gotta go with Runtu here. The idea that people who are not LDS, or leave the LDS church are just after hedonism is just not the case for the most part. Oh maybe some yea, and maybe young people who go inactive to sow their wild oats. But most people are doing just what Runtu is doing. Living life, working hard, raising a family and teaching them the important things in life to become productive citizens. If someone is happier not LDS I am happy for them and think most of them are going to still be fairly decent people. I do recall one fellow who left the Church after his wife was ex'd for numerous adulterous affairs. He asked to have his name removed, not because he did not believe anymore per say. He told me that he was burned on marriage, was never going to marry again and was not going to live a celibate life. So since the Church would kick him out anyway for not being celibate he would withdraw and save them the trouble.

Anyway I agree with Runtu
_marg

Post by _marg »

Note to Leeiron: I've set up a separate thread with which to continue the discussion..under "Knowledge".
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

My post was directed to vegas specificly, not everyone.

I don't question that there are good lifestyles and people outside the church. That people lead great and constructive lives outside the church is self evident. Rick Warren ring any bells?

Vegas is the one who attacks and tears down and offers nothing in the place of what he seeks to destroy. Today anyway.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_marg

Post by _marg »

What do you mean by "care"? What does a theist care about? Why is that a good thing?
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:My post was directed to vegas specificly, not everyone.

I don't question that there are good lifestyles and people outside the church. That people lead great and constructive lives outside the church is self evident. Rick Warren ring any bells?

Vegas is the one who attacks and tears down and offers nothing in the place of what he seeks to destroy. Today anyway.

Gaz

I read Vegas's blog and see a guy with a beautiful young family, doing exactly what I am doing: trying to make a living and raise that family the best way he knows how. That he's justifiably angry at a lying, manipulative, totally false religion has nothing to do with hedonism.

Furthermore, I'm stunned that you think that one cannot point out lies and deceit unless one offers something else instead. Isn't the truth enough, Gaz?

And no, Rick Warren does not ring any bells. Should he?