True Doctrine

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: vegasrefugee

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:What belief do you currently espouse? Atheism?

Until you pass the LSAT's I feel I will have to explain everything using small words. Sorry, I'm not taking your bait. Start a post on why the religion of the objector is even a relevant concern.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: More with less

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:I had a run in with a Born Again Christian this past summer, even took a Bible cource with him at his church. Was interesting.

There was plenty of false doctrine thrown about, like the time the teacher said the universe we see exists solely to prove to us that there is a God, and that Earth is the center of the universe.

That aside, the people there showed an impressive zeal and a great desire to serve God, even useing personal expences to do missionary work in the Phillipines and Tibet. In some cases risking their lives.

Now if we could just convert them and give them the priesthood, what great things could be accomplished?

Gaz

What great things could they do while in Mormonism that they are not already doing?

There is no added cost benefit for their conversion.
Lost in time
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Re: Porter

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:How do I qualify that as false doctrine? How about Abraham 3:1-18? I didn't speak up in the class about it, wasn't really the time or place to introduce that doctrine. I think most in the class (At least I would hope) thought he was wrong.
Show me non emotional proof that the Book of Abraham in more divine than the Hobbit. Again, you two are at odds with each other. You have faith in your Book of Abraham and he has faith that the earth is the center of the universe.

You really showed your true Mormon colors on this one Gaz.

As for zeal among members, I know its there. Theres pleanty that go to the temple regularly and do all their home teaching each month. Theres also plenty who travel far and wide to proclaim the gospel at their own expence.
Oh, My, Gadfree. Serious?
No, SERIOUSLY?!?? These Christians are voluntarily risking their lives to help poor people(living people, not DEAD people) in third world countries who have a genuine need for help and you compare their SACRIFICE to petty middle income Mormons doing their peep teaching (to other middle income Mormons who don't need ANY help) and going to a Mormon temple to watch a rerun for a DEAD person????

Oh MY ___! OH MY _______ ___!!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE ________ ME!!!

One strange thing I noticed is an irreverance at the meetings. There is no pause before a prayer starts, its just "lets pray" and then right into it. very odd.
Wow, talk about lack of tolerance. Just because they don't do in the rote Mormon way?

Bogged down? What is the threefold mission of the church? Preach the gospel, perfect the saints and redeem the dead. All of which perfect oneself, since the gospel only helps a person when they use it in service of others.
Huh, is that what Jesus did?

No.

Like I have said in previous posts, in the house of Mormon, before you can see Jesus, you must first see the doorman, Joseph Smith.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

All of which perfect oneself, since the gospel only helps a person when they use it in service of others.

This is the paradox of Mormonism in a nutshell: you are only exalted through self-denial. I see my wife killing herself "in service of others," and I suppose that's supposed to bless her. I wonder what blessings there are in self-effacement in the service of a fraud.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

vegasrefugee

Post by _Gazelam »

Q: Sorry, I'm not taking your bait. Start a post on why the religion of the objector is even a relevant concern.

I'm not "baiting" you into anything. I just want to know where you stand in regards to God in general. What is your belief?

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Porter

Post by _Gazelam »

Q: "Show me non emotional proof that the Book of Abraham in more divine than the Hobbit....."

The Book of Abraham offers a view of the pre-existance that is unique and edifys with all other teachings in the gospel. Also the lesson given regarding the cration of worlds in relation to the creation of souls is deep, inspireing and enlightening.

In regards to service, you completely threw away my comment about missionaries in the church going around the world, risking their own lives. As I recall most missionaries in the church pay their own way.

Here is a list of Humanitarian projects the church is involved in around the world: http://www.providentliving.org/project/0,13501,4607-1-2002,00.html

Irreverence is irreverence. Tolerance has nothing to do with abrupt prayer, as opposed to pauseing for the assembly to bow their heads. I find that very odd.

Was that what Jesus did? Yes it was. All three were worked on. Perfectign the Jews, proclaiming the restored gospel, and he redeemed the dead by introduceing the missionary program in the spirit world, and baptism for the dead to the earthly church.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: vegasrefugee

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:Q: Sorry, I'm not taking your bait. Start a post on why the religion of the objector is even a relevant concern.

I'm not "baiting" you into anything. I just want to know where you stand in regards to God in general. What is your belief?

Gaz

I do not see what the original topic of this conversation as to do with my religious proclivities. Why don't you address the real concerns I raised initially instead of turning this into a conversation about me?
Lost in time
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:Q: "Show me non emotional proof that the Book of Abraham in more divine than the Hobbit....."

The Book of Abraham offers a view of the pre-existance that is unique and edifys with all other teachings in the gospel. Also the lesson given regarding the cration of worlds in relation to the creation of souls is deep, inspireing and enlightening.
I asked for proof, not your warm fuzzy self induced emotional epiphany.

In regards to service, you completely threw away my comment about missionaries in the church going around the world, risking their own lives. As I recall most missionaries in the church pay their own way.
We all know that missionaries will give assistance only if they think it will get their foot in the door of a possible baptism. For the record the missionaries typically do not pay their own way, its usually their parents.

Here is a list of Humanitarian projects the church is involved in around the world: http://www.providentliving.org/project/0,13501,4607-1-2002,00.html
Yawn.

Irreverence is irreverence. Tolerance has nothing to do with abrupt prayer, as opposed to pauseing for the assembly to bow their heads. I find that very odd.
Again, a difference of opinion. Most christians find Mormon services down right BORING, no excitment.

Was that what Jesus did? Yes it was. All three were worked on. Perfectign the Jews, proclaiming the restored gospel, and he redeemed the dead by introduceing the missionary program in the spirit world, and baptism for the dead to the earthly church.
RESTORED? Jesus was RESTORING a gospel that existed before him? that's news to me...
Also, the "missionary program in the spirit world, and baptism for the dead" is only a belief of Mormonism.

Thank you for showing your true Mormon self on this thread Gaz, it will serve to enlighten lurking non members about the true nature of a Mormon. Good work!
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Gazelam wrote:Q: "Show me non emotional proof that the Book of Abraham in more divine than the Hobbit....."

The Book of Abraham is pure speculation on Joseph's part, incomplete, and published long after his death in its incomplete state. Joseph was "working" on it (working being a bit more than a slight exaggeration, since Joseph rarely "worked" in the classic sense and simply lived on the bounty of others), had not submitted it for publication or canonization. The Book of Abraham is the single most damning piece of evidence that Joseph had a great imagination and little else. There is more proof of the Book of Mormon, even though there is precious little of that.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Hey PP, you rule! *thumbs up*
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew