What is the Purpose of Life?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Book of Abraham

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:Easily debunked fraud? Why, because there are so amny other readings that tie into it? Because it offers such a clear insight into the gospel and enlightens and ties together so many other doctrines? And the Spirit testifies of it?

Gaz

No, because it's anachronistic, bears no relation to what it's supposed to be translated from, and the "tie ins" are the work of dishonest apologists (see Ritner's article in the JNES). Yeah, the spirit testifies that the sun borrows its light from Kolob.

Come on, Gaz. At least the CofC folks are honest enough to admit that the book is spurious.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

D&C 88

Post by _Gazelam »

41 He comprehendeth all things, and all things are before him, and all things are round about him; and he is above all things, and in all things, and is through all things, and is round about all things; and all things are by him, and of him, even God, forever and ever.
42 And again, verily I say unto you, he hath given a law unto all things, by which they move in their times and their seasons;
43 And their courses are fixed, even the courses of the heavens and the earth, which comprehend the earth and all the planets.
44 And they give light to each other in their times and in their seasons, in their minutes, in their hours, in their days, in their weeks, in their months, in their years—all these are one year with God, but not with man.
45 The earth rolls upon her wings, and the sun giveth his light by day, and the moon giveth her light by night, and the stars also give their light, as they roll upon their wings in their glory, in the midst of the power of God.
46 Unto what shall I liken these kingdoms, that ye may understand?
47 Behold, all these are kingdoms, and any man who hath seen any or the least of these hath seen God moving in his majesty and power.
48 I say unto you, he hath seen him; nevertheless, he who came unto his own was not comprehended.
49 The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not; nevertheless, the day shall come when you shall comprehend even God, being quickened in him and by him.
50 Then shall ye know that ye have seen me, that I am, and that I am the true light that is in you, and that you are in me; otherwise ye could not abound.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: D&C 88

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:41 He comprehendeth all things, and all things are before him, and all things are round about him; and he is above all things, and in all things, and is through all things, and is round about all things; and all things are by him, and of him, even God, forever and ever.
42 And again, verily I say unto you, he hath given a law unto all things, by which they move in their times and their seasons;
43 And their courses are fixed, even the courses of the heavens and the earth, which comprehend the earth and all the planets.
44 And they give light to each other in their times and in their seasons, in their minutes, in their hours, in their days, in their weeks, in their months, in their years—all these are one year with God, but not with man.
45 The earth rolls upon her wings, and the sun giveth his light by day, and the moon giveth her light by night, and the stars also give their light, as they roll upon their wings in their glory, in the midst of the power of God.
46 Unto what shall I liken these kingdoms, that ye may understand?
47 Behold, all these are kingdoms, and any man who hath seen any or the least of these hath seen God moving in his majesty and power.
48 I say unto you, he hath seen him; nevertheless, he who came unto his own was not comprehended.
49 The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not; nevertheless, the day shall come when you shall comprehend even God, being quickened in him and by him.
50 Then shall ye know that ye have seen me, that I am, and that I am the true light that is in you, and that you are in me; otherwise ye could not abound.

Gee, I guess I'd better go talk to my bishop.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Glad to hear it, let us know how that goes if its not too personal.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:Glad to hear it, let us know how that goes if its not too personal.

Sarcasm is a lost art. My bishop knows where I stand, thanks. Oddly enough, he had no answers for me. Just platitudes, kind of like what you've given.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

You have to ask a question to get an answer. Please ask.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:You have to ask a question to get an answer. Please ask.

I don't know what I'm supposed to ask. I have received answers to all my questions about the church. Maybe they're not the ones I expected, but I've accepted them.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

What bothers you?

Whats gnawing at you?
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:What bothers you?

Whats gnawing at you?

Nothing's bothering me or gnawing at me. Should it?
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

I have this idea that we live in this postmodern age where each individual is 'free' to choose her or his path, as long as it causes no harm to the human species or to other species. However, such a free for all, cannot bring forms of togetherness but it can bring forms of separation.

People are seeking after inner peace, happiness, wisdom, philosophy, new ageism, wicca, the kabbala, the buddha etc. And yet, in this wonderful world of ours, the human species seems rather unhappy. Postmodernism makes claim that there is no universal truth and we see this idea throughout our societies to terrible effect.

In some strange way, we all need to connect to something that is wholesome and by connecting to this wholesomeness, we can find a sense of community. It does not matter to me if one is a wicca, a catholic, lds, protestant, buddhist, or for that matter anything else as long as it brings us all together in greater wholeness. But for some strange reason, regardless of our grand values that have been shared here on this thread, lets face it, it hasn't worked out there in our greater community where we may have more disconnection and not connection regardless of lofty aims. Why? Maybe it is because our lives have become more individualized now. For lofty aims to work, I believe that we need to think 'collective self' and the 'individual self'.

The gospel of Christ was firmly centered in the collective, focused around love god, love yourself, but also love your neighbor and one another and love your enemies. What more need there to be?.